Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk Seal Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
While I'm waiting for a drivers long and the weather to break again in PDX to continue on my Rustoration project.
I'll move on to the couple winter projects I had planned on my White car.

Click to view attachment

It was restored back in the early nineties. For the most part a fairly good job.

Projects:
1. Engine lid hinge
2. Front trunk seal. Seeing a little rust by the latch.
3. JWest flasher relay
4. Updated fuse panel.

cary
The engine lid hinge is in another thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=199016

But after taking out the front seal I found something odd with the seal channel on the right fender.

Click to view attachment

Sorry a little grainy. The HTC phone and the flash have issues. I'll get a new and better picture posted tonight.
But what you see is a double wall. They must have patched over some rust I assume.
Has anyone seen this before?

Click to view attachment

The spot by the latch is SOP. What I thought I would find. A little OSPO and some hand brushed in Rustoleum. Should be good to go on that spot.

sixnotfour
That is how the fender is attached...spot welded together , vertical plane..
and you have rust between the inner wheel house and fender.
i have seen where a shopdoesnt remove the whole fenbder flange and welds on another fender , making it 3 layers.
oldschool

Hey cary what tires are you running and did you have to do any mods to the body?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 29 2012, 08:49 AM) *
That is how the fender is attached...spot welded together , vertical plane..

agree.gif
cary
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 29 2012, 08:49 AM) *

I've seen it where a shop doesnt remove the whole fender flange and welds on another fender , making it 3 layers.

That's got to be it. Checked 3 cars. Its the thickest of all six fenders.
I'll have to ponder my approach. I don't plan to restore this car for another 5-6 years.
But I want to stop the damage from getting worse.
cary
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 29 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Hey cary what tires are you running and did you have to do any mods to the body?

I'll have to take a look on Monday. They're off the car right now. Pretty certain they're 195/60's. I have 205/60 Falkens on it right now. AX tires.
No modifications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.