Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 83 3.0 SC engine install into a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
My brother has a 74 914 2.0 that's going to get a 83 3.0 SC installed into it.
The engine is going to be run with Weber carbs. I know that some members may have a 3.0 installed in their 914's . The question that I have is what type of ignition source are you using?
I've heard the 83 distributor cant be used and need to use an earlier one ?
Can a MSD 6AL box, & coil be used instead of the cd box?
The engine wire harness what's needed to make this work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Mark Henry
Don't know why a '83 dizzy couldn't be used
I know SC dizzys run backwards (CCW), so you can't use an earlier or later dizzy in a SC.
Pretty sure you can use the MSD 6AL.

Ask over at the bird board engine rebuild forum, they will know for sure.
Luke M
I was planning on hitting up the guys on the Bird board later today.

The p/o told me I couldn't use the distr because there's no mech advance and to use an early 3.0 unit.

I'll do some research hopefully come up with an answer.

Thanks
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 29 2012, 02:41 PM) *

I was planning on hitting up the guys on the Bird board later today.

The p/o told me I couldn't use the distr because there's no mech advance and to use an early 3.0 unit.

I'll do some research hopefully come up with an answer.

Thanks

No mechanical advance? My 79 has both, for webers you would get rid of the vacuum advance and recurve.

There is the MSD AL6-2 programmable, you lock out the dizzy and program the curve via computer. USB update so you don't need a laptop. They have had problems with the small cap 2.0-2.7 dizzy's phasing but a 3.0 cap and rotor are larger so maybe it would be OK.
tommott77
I'm relatively certain that the later dizzys don't have enough total advance to properly run on a carbed motor. My carbed 2.5L 6 runs around 35 degrees total advance and I want to say that those later SC dizzys max out at 20 something degrees BTDC.

A MSD and coil will work.
Jeffs9146
Mine is fi so it would be different!
Mark Henry
Another option is a Megajolt jr EDIS ignition or you can run megasqirt in ignition only (many options including a locked out dizzy/MSD).
Both would give you programmable crankfire ignition.
Jeffs9146
Double post!
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1978 3.0 big port in the 914 with Weber carb's and a 1983 911 SC with small port and PMO carb's and for both I'm using the OEM ignition distributor. However both were rebuilt/recurved to be used for carb's and both work great. Barry Hershon did one and Jerry Woods did the other. Each one was $600.00 .
Krieger
I have a carbed 78 3.0 with an assortment of parts and senders so I made my own engine harness. MSD 6A. I also eliminated the relay board. Jerry woods for for the recurved distibutor $575
sixnotfour
Call Shea he has a better guy.. west coast

A 3.0 euro distributor works good with carbs.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 29 2012, 12:04 PM) *

Another option is a Megajolt jr EDIS ignition or you can run megasqirt in ignition only (many options including a locked out dizzy/MSD).
Both would give you programmable crankfire ignition.

I just saw a friends car with EDIS and Megajolt. It cured his idle problems, allowed him to program in a very quick advance. I was very impressed. I will be going this way with my 240Z.
moparrob
+1 for the Jerry Woods solution. Call him - he is VERY helpful and his work is top notch.

Your next stop should be Perry Kiehl for a new engine harness. He custom made mine for my 3.0 running a MSD 6-AL box, and in my case I had him delete my relay board.

Call these guys as they are the best in the business. You will leave a wiser man.
Mike D.
I'm running a webber carb 3.0 with stock dizzy. I split the "pigtail" wire from the dist. and plugged it right in to a MSD6al with no problems. I made my engine harness from the old 911 harness (eliminated most of it) and plugged into the relay board. I guess I thought it would be easier that way.
Van914
rfuerst911sc Nov 29 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I have a 1978 3.0 big port in the 914 with Weber carb's and a 1983 911 SC with small port and PMO carb's and for both I'm using the OEM ignition distributor. However both were rebuilt/recurved to be used for carb's and both work great. Barry Hershon did one and Jerry Woods did the other. Each one was $600.00 .

Exactly what I did with mine. Barry did mine. Ran great!!!!!
Van914
Luke M
Thanks for the input guys.
I checked out the Bruce Anderson book and this is what I found.
80 and later 3.0 SC engines will require the distributor to be recurved.
Bruce also states that you can use a 78-79 3.0 SC unit with carbs or a European distributor. I plan on calling either Jerry Woods or Eric's guy at some point today.
Hopefully I'll have a concrete answer from one of these experts.
Does anyone have a wire schematic that they may have made up while doing their 3.0 install ? wiring for the MSD box? The other question is which MSD box model to use with this engine?

I have an email into Perry on a wire harness for this engine. I'll have to wait and see what he recommends.

Seeing how there's a 90 day warranty with this engine I'd like to get it up and running ASAP. The p/o stated that this engine was a 60000 + mile engine that ran strong just removed for a 3.6 conv.

Thanks,

Luke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.