Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT two-tone bumper replication guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tommott77
Working on building my old/new/old/new 914 into a GT clone. Before I get too far ahead of myself I want to check to see if anybody here has seen an original GT, equipped with two-tone bumpers of course. I've seen just about every image that google has to offer, but I would like to see if I can get some first-hand info perhaps... prior to commencing my mess.

I would like to know the quality of the these paint jobs. Were they something painted at with factory specs with clear coats and the whole 9 yards? Or were they more along the lines of something that was painted half-assedly, track-side, as drivers/car lineups changed? Also anybody happen to get a good look at the finish on these bumpers? It seems that the pictures that I've seen appear to be a satin finish.

I already have the color I want to use picked out,... pictured below. Anybody care to venture a guess as to the likelihood that colors used were lifted off the factory color palette of the time? If so anybody happen to know what blue that may be?

Any guidance or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.
Black22
Looks like Olympic Blue (Olympiablau). That's the stock 914 color of my '74.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tommott77 @ Nov 30 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Or were they more along the lines of something that was painted half-assedly, track-side, as drivers/car lineups changed?

That ^^^ driving.gif
tommott77
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2012, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(tommott77 @ Nov 30 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Or were they more along the lines of something that was painted half-assedly, track-side, as drivers/car lineups changed?

That ^^^ driving.gif

Cool! a good garage rattle can job may do the trick. Also likely don't have to worry about matching factory color codes 100% then as well. Looks like Olympic blue is a good starting point though.
brant
clear coat wssn't yet invented when the factory was doing this...

sixnotfour
after got site for a clear picture
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/88001752
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/117933739
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.