Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I get a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TerrySmith
So, I just joined 914-World because I've been thinking lately I would like to get a 914. OK, so I've wanted one since about 1980 but never got around to it. Am I too late?

I have almost no mechanical skills and no facility to do much work on the car myself. I would want to use the 914 as a weekend toy and maybe a DD so it needs to be nice looking and everything should work correctly and well. I have no garage space for it so it needs to not leak rain. I don't want oil stains on the driveway, etc. I do prefer close to original (not a perfectionist) and not majorly modified or race prepped. No V8s, Subaru motors or flared rear fenders, etc. No speaker holes in the doors. Prefer pre-1974 for the Chrome bumper look.

Would like to keep the whole thing (original cost plus restoration costs) below $20K - lower the better of course. That probably means no 914/6. Preference would be for one already restored.

So, bad idea, good idea, fun, doable or PITA mistake?

Also, can anyone recommend someone (a shop) who can do PPI, restoration and maintenance work in Silicon Valley who really know 914.

Thanks,

Jeffs9146
I love my 914 but finding someone to fix it and not charge me too much is not an easy task! I have spent many years learning to do stuff my self and it is both rewarding and fun! Most of the day to day stuff you can do your self and the rest we can help you with! So, I would say as long as you are willing to try then everything will be great!

But if you are relying on a mechanic to keep your toy running (and not get involved) then I would say, YES you are to late........fat wallet excluded......!!
blink.gif

PS: There are lots of us in the Bay Area and I have seen some amazing BBQ's that have gotten wrecked cars on the road in 3 days!!!

messix
you just a little late, jrust just sold a le that he restored.

and mark b has a shop in napa, he could keep a car running for you.
wingnut86
1st and foremost,

welcome.png

Make your short list or breakout the one you stated above so we can help, ie:

1- Rust-less 914 ->. Absolutely
2- I need original, but...
3- Need A/C?
4- Full outside, 3 to 4 layer cover, or will my neighbors allow an aluminum car canopy/shed?
5- Original yes, but can I keep everything else, and still get Original Customs or GPR to upgrade my carbs to sync-lync or FI to modern aftermarket for performance and response characteristics and still pass smog (YES)
6- Etc...

Do this as you review the threads, and then put a WTB here or on Pelican. Also, many vendors like the above can help you find your dream and then some for that price...

Dave B.
rwilner
Hi Terry,

welcome.png

My opinion: unless you have some mechanical skills, you may find owning a 914 to be a frustrating experience. Even the most thorough PPI will miss things.

That said, for $20k, you should be able to get what you describe. That should get you just about the nicest 914-4 on planet earth.

I would also highly recommend you buy one that's fully restored. In general: in terms of value/$, you'll get way more car for say 15k than buying an $8k car and putting $7k into it (this is true of any vintage car). You're also correct that for a fully restored 6, you're looking at easily twice your budget.

My advice is to find a great 914, buy it for the best price you can and see how it goes. The nice thing about these cars is that the economics are nothing like buying a late model car. They don't depreciate (assuming you keep them in as good or better condition than you got them)...so if you find it's not for you...you can sell it and get your $$ back, assuming you didn't overpay for a basket case.

The other piece of good news is you're in the epicenter of 914s, so finding what you seek locally (one-day round trip) is a very real possibility...a luxury us east-coasters only dream about.

Finally: you need to get over the oil leaking thing. Every 914 with more than 10k miles on the rebuild will leak a drop or two. It's how they mark their territory. Buy some pads and put it under the engine where you park it. However, you can get one to be water-tight...at least, I was able to by replacing enough seals and adjusting the targa top. (Of course, many teener owners don't know if their car is water tight because it doesn't see rain.)

This is the best online car community on earth so post pictures of potential cars and ask questions here. Lots of great members here, at least one of whom is a Porsche factory-trained mechanic, that have BTDT and can help you avoid costly mistakes.

Good luck!
Rich
JawjaPorsche
Since you live in California, here is one listed on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...=item3cccfafc3a

It is says Rust Free but that not true! All teeners have some rust somewhere!

The battery is in the front which is odd or maybe a red flag.

Has Fuchs which is very desirable.

There is no pictures of the motor to determine if it is carb or still has FI but it something to check out maybe?

Only 150 miles from Sunnyvale!
hot_shoe914
I can hook you up with a one owner (well 2now that I have it) with 39K miles. Needs 2 new front struts and will need paint, even though it looks really good now, to be perfect. All original except carbs instead of fuel injection. I can put injection back on it for a little extra cash. Leaks no oil and EVERYTHING works including the seatbelt buzzer, and the light on the defrost switch. All this for the small price of 10K.

Shoe

Click to view attachment
vitaminC
Welcome! I'm just up the road from you and also looking for a 914 sunglasses.gif

My main suggestion would be to shop condition, then year. For example, you might want to look at this one. I'm trying to stay away from '76 cars just because I may want to do some engine mods down the line, but if that's not part of your plan then smog shouldn't be an issue.

For repair work, you might talk to http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
Cairo94507
Welcome. Do yourself a favor and spend about 6 months on this forum and any other 914 forum you can find and just read and learn. Look at every single classified re 914s for sale and keep track of the condition and price they asked and sold for. After that, begin to look for the right car for you. I would suggest, given your introduction, you shop for a fully restored car that you buy and drive. Good luck and have fun.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 4 2012, 05:48 AM) *

There is no pictures of the motor to determine if it is carb or still has FI but it something to check out maybe?

No carbs on this one because it is smog legal in California! It is a 76!
Tom_T
IMHO in CA I'd suggest staying away from the 76 MY, since they're not smog exempt - & the law to push the exemption to 81 MY was recently "killed in committee" by our illustrious state legislature & the greenies, so that smog check requirement won't change any time soon. On even the best car, something is bound to fail in the smog system at some point on a +/- 40 year old car.

So the 76 link above is not a good choice - even if a great color & aside from some other issues which I spotted on it.

Instead, look in our classifieds here, as there was a number of very nice 70-75 MY 914s - one seemingly very nice original survivor 73 914-2.0 Marathon Blue metallic over black interior with dealer AC option south of Sacto which might fit your needs, & they may negotiate into your <$20k range. The 73-74 914-2.0 is my & many's sweet spot, but the early 1.7s & even the 1.8 are fun to drive.

Your $20k or less budget & flexibility in car condition & details seem very reasonable, as you can certainly find a very nice DD level 73-73 914-2.0 in the teens $'s & the rest should be less (top concours level show cars are sometimes north of $20k).

However, do get an expert to do a PPI for you on any 914/classic car, & spend the money for a reputable shop to do a full check-out.

Luckily in the major CA cities, you can find independents who are expert on 914s & classic aircooled P-cars. Original Customs (McMark on here) in Napa & Rich Bontempi's HPH in the Bay Area are 2 top choices (both mentioned in posts above), and there are some other choices too. Hopefully some other Bay Area folks will chime in with others.

Although many on here do use their 914s as DD - which is a testament to their build quality & durability, due to the scarcity & cost of some parts - remember that we're talking about a +/- 40 year old car now. To put that in perspective, in the 1960's when I got into cars in high school, we thought of the then 30-40 year old Ford Model A's & T's, Woodies, etc. as REALLY OLD junkers to buy cheap!

I'd think of a 914 as more of a 3rd car or back-up DD, since you don't have the advantage of doing much of the work yourself. If you can't garage it, then adding a carport as noted above is a good choice - whether the metal or stick-built flavor is your next best choice, but moving the newer car to the driveway & giving the 914 the garage slot is a better choice, given that the older cars don't have hot dipped rust proofing bodies, like the newer cars do. My 85 BMW 325e & 88 VW Westy sit outside, while my 914 & event the 914 parts shell get the 2 garage slots!

Also consider not spending as much on a 914 for a "Super Cherry" car, if it's just going to sit outside in the elements.

I've found Covercraft's top of the line WeatherTech (?name?) storm-proof top of the line cover great on my 2 cars sitting outside, even if we don't have snow out here. Your Bay Area weather now & last week is a good indication that you'll have heavy weather to deal with, in a car which is notoriously susceptible to the "tin-worm" - even in dryer southwest climates.

In addition to looking at the classifieds on here, also check 914club.com, ClubNARP.com, Pelican's boards, Panorama's (PCA) & Excellence magazine's classifieds, Craig's Lists, & eBay's & LemonFree's with a daily email notice of your search. Here & 914club also have email notification of CL ads, the latter covering 100% of the US, but I'm not sure if here is also 100%.

Good pricing/value resources are Excellence & Hemmings' magazines, & Hagerty insurance's & NADA's Classic Cars online pricing guides. Here are some links to get you started...

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vc=879762

You'll find opinions & perspectives on here & similar 914 websites as diverse & varying as asking a group of 10 lawyers for AN opinion - and getting 100+ opinions! biggrin.gif
So take in what of mine & others fit your needs & mindset.

There are many good knowledgeable members on here up in your area, so I'd suggest getting together with some of them to pick their brains.

It's about time for those guys to set up another 914er's Breakfast or something.... shades.gif

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlkawashima
No disrespect intended to the other great shops, but you don't have to travel hundreds of miles to find a good shop to do a PPI. I can think of three off the top of my head in Santa Clara Valley that I can recommend without hesitation:

Ken's Sportech in Campbell
RMG Enterprises in Sunnyvale
Heyer Performance in Mountain View

I went through the same thing as you two years ago and I was fortunate to find a beauty only 10 milles away. The Bay Area has a lot of nice 914s. You *should* be able to find one locally ..... the benefit being that you can see it in person and test drive it. I believe your price point is spot on.

One thing I would seriously question is leaving the car outside. I know we have great weather here in the Bay Area, but leaving a 40 year old car out in the elements 365 days a year is asking for trouble. Keep in mind that insurance companies like Hagerty require that you garage the car in order for them to provide coverage. If you do keep it outside, a waterproof car cover, at minimum is essential.
Gint
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2012, 11:43 AM) *

One thing I would seriously question is leaving the car outside.

agree.gif totally.
I don't know if i would want to have a 914 if I had store it outside . I don't want to discourage you though. They sure are a blast to bomb around town in.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2012, 10:43 AM) *

agree.gif

Is Rich's High Performance House still active/open? They were in Redwood City and he knows 914s.

Go for it! I store my 914 outside. It has 3 covers! CarKing fitted against the car, then a waterproof heavy-duty tarp, then a cheap generic cover over all that. We just got 8 inches of rain in 2 days w 50 mph gusts. My 914 is dry!

For $20k, lots of options! I'd choose a six-conversion to get more than 100HP. beerchug.gif

welcome.png
TerrySmith
This looks like it's gonna be fun.
TerrySmith
OK, so . . .

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 4 2012, 05:48 AM) *

I've been watching that one. It looks pretty nice and I like the color. The 3 downsides I see are:

It's a '76 and while I don't like smog, I'm old enough to remember that original smog reduction stuff stuck on, kinda like the big bumpers stuck on starting in '74 because of crash regulation.

It's got that battery thing in the trunk sitting in the spare while the description says the spare still has the carpet cover. Not sure what's up with that. I guess I could ask the seller.

It's an auction and I don't like to buy stuff that way for a lot of reasons. Still, I guess I could place a lower bid and see what happens.

So, I once had a '74 Volvo with the early Busch fuel injection that worked great and was reliable. I also had a '71 with dual SU carbs. Seems like FI was much more reliable - or specifically, did not need to be tuned up every couple of months like the SUs.

But for the 914, it seems like people prefer the dual carbs, correct? Are the Weber carbs more reliable, or do they provide more power, or??

Thanks!
Dave_Darling
Yes, Rich is in Redwood City and he knows 914s possibly better than anyone else on the planet.

RMG is great, and they're in Sunnyvale. On the alleyway behind one of the go-go bars, actually.... Just off Mary and El Camino. They had a museum-grade 73 2-liter in there last month, doing a PPI for someone from Europe who wound up buying a different 914. I think it's out of your budget, but it sure was drool-worthy.

--DD
TerrySmith
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 4 2012, 05:53 AM) *

I can hook you up with a one owner (well 2now that I have it) with 39K miles. Needs 2 new front struts and will need paint, even though it looks really good now, to be perfect. All original except carbs instead of fuel injection. I can put injection back on it for a little extra cash. Leaks no oil and EVERYTHING works including the seatbelt buzzer, and the light on the defrost switch. All this for the small price of 10K.

Shoe

I like the color (looks similar to my Cayman) and the year so it sounds tempting. How's the interior? Looks like you're in Memphis so I would need to get a local PPI and figure out shipping.
TerrySmith
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 4 2012, 08:35 AM) *

IMHO . . .

. . .You'll find opinions & perspectives on here & similar 914 websites as diverse & varying as asking a group of 10 lawyers for AN opinion - and getting 100+ opinions! biggrin.gif
So take in what of mine & others fit your needs & mindset.

There are many good knowledgeable members on here up in your area, so I'd suggest getting together with some of them to pick their brains.

It's about time for those guys to set up another 914er's Breakfast or something.... shades.gif

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I much appreciate the advice.

I have only one garage space. It would never occur to me to put the $75K Cayman outside to make room from the $20K car but you made a pretty good case for doing just that.

I think I need to find a nearby garage to rent. A self-storage place around here quoted $400 / month for one car. Too much. Maybe a private garage would be doable.

I have and will continue to investigate the links you provided.

A 914's breakfast sounds good to me.

Thanks!
TerrySmith
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2012, 10:43 AM) *

No disrespect intended to the other great shops, but you don't have to travel hundreds of miles to find a good shop to do a PPI. I can think of three off the top of my head in Santa Clara Valley that I can recommend without hesitation:

I went through the same thing as you two years ago and I was fortunate to find a beauty only 10 milles away. The Bay Area has a lot of nice 914s. You *should* be able to find one locally ..... the benefit being that you can see it in person and test drive it. I believe your price point is spot on.

One thing I would seriously question is leaving the car outside. I know we have great weather here in the Bay Area, but leaving a 40 year old car out in the elements 365 days a year is asking for trouble. Keep in mind that insurance companies like Hagerty require that you garage the car in order for them to provide coverage. If you do keep it outside, a waterproof car cover, at minimum is essential.

Thanks, those look exactly like the shop references I was looking for. Sonoma is a little to far from Sunnyvale to be practical.
TerrySmith
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 4 2012, 10:46 PM) *

Yes, Rich is in Redwood City and he knows 914s possibly better than anyone else on the planet.

RMG is great, and they're in Sunnyvale. On the alleyway behind one of the go-go bars, actually.... Just off Mary and El Camino. They had a museum-grade 73 2-liter in there last month, doing a PPI for someone from Europe who wound up buying a different 914. I think it's out of your budget, but it sure was drool-worthy.

--DD

Thank you. I will check them out.
TerrySmith
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 4 2012, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2012, 11:43 AM) *

One thing I would seriously question is leaving the car outside.

agree.gif totally.
I don't know if i would want to have a 914 if I had store it outside . I don't want to discourage you though. They sure are a blast to bomb around town in.

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 4 2012, 06:47 PM) *

Go for it! I store my 914 outside. It has 3 covers! CarKing fitted against the car, then a waterproof heavy-duty tarp, then a cheap generic cover over all that. We just got 8 inches of rain in 2 days w 50 mph gusts. My 914 is dry!

For $20k, lots of options! I'd choose a six-conversion to get more than 100HP. beerchug.gif

welcome.png

Well, it looks like I will need to do something to protect the car although, I grew up in Denver and the conditions in Sunnyvale are much less severe than Denver (or even Point Rayes).

Thanks all!
rwilner
QUOTE(TerrySmith @ Dec 5 2012, 01:43 AM) *

But for the 914, it seems like people prefer the dual carbs, correct? Are the Weber carbs more reliable, or do they provide more power, or??

In general: Stock FI ~= PEFI > Dual Carbs > Single Carb.

All 914-4s came with FI from the factory (the sixes came with carbs). The stock cam is optimized for FI so unless the engine internals are matched to the carbs, you'll lose power and drivability with them. The drivability of the single carb setup is not good due to the length of the intake runners...the vaporized fuel condenses in the runners.

That said, some of the FI parts (particularly the MPS) are rare/NLA. This makes them expensive and the FI won't work without them. That's why people convert to carbs 9 times out of 10...they either don't know how to troubleshoot and fix the FI or they can't get a part they need in a timely fashion.

Note that Chris Foley (a member/vendor on this site) has a solution to the #1 reason why MPS's fail.

Personally, I'd either look for a car with an engine built for carbs or an original engine with original FI. At your price point you should have to make 0 compromises.
Gint
With 20k? You can buy a super nice 914 for $10k.
Trekkor
If I were in the market for a nice 914, I'd do this:

Find a really nice $5-6 '73-'74 2.0.

Enjoy the car while I hunt for a really nice $5-6 911 Six engine.
Gather up the conversion parts.

Sell the 2.0 engine for $1500-2000 and do the conversion.

Enjoy!

$10-12k 914-6.

That's what I would do, If I were me...

KT
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 5 2012, 06:00 PM) *

If I were me...

laugh.gif

I'll throw this out there for the OP. This seems to be the 914 food chain (i.e. what you'll have to pay, top to bottom) assuming all cars are of equal condition. But as others have already said, condition should be a top priority:

1. 914-6 --> all years
2. 1974 2.0 Limited Edition
3. 1973-1974 2.0 (fully optioned models are most valuable)
4. 1976 2.0 (except in California, where it probably ranks near the bottom due to smog testing, many were loaded with options)
5. 1975 2.0 (BUB bumpers are an acquired taste)
6. 1972-1973 1.7 ('72 is transitional year, early cars' quirky details corrected)
7. 1974 1.8 (low horsepower but some prefer L-Jet)
8. 1970-1971 1.7 (anaconda seatbelts, stationary passenger seat, non-vent dash, tail shifter, 4-1/2" rims on cheapest examples)
9. 1975 1.8 (BUBBs and lowest horsepower equals lowest appeal)
TerrySmith
This thread has turned into an excellent reference source with very specific answers to things I was wondering about. Great! thanks again.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 5 2012, 10:00 PM) *

If I were in the market for a nice 914, I'd do this:

Find a really nice $5-6 '73-'74 2.0.

Enjoy the car while I hunt for a really nice $5-6 911 Six engine.
Gather up the conversion parts.

Sell the 2.0 engine for $1500-2000 and do the conversion.

Enjoy!

$10-12k 914-6.

That's what I would do, If I were me...

KT

I can't argue with converting, but it will cost some coin.
TerrySmith
OK, here are a couple for consideration:

Yellow

and

Burgundy

Anybody know anything about either of these?
TerrySmith
Or this one?
rwilner
QUOTE(TerrySmith @ Dec 7 2012, 03:08 AM) *

I'd pass on the burgundy one on ebay. It's at least 3 different colors...burgundy, black, and yellow (looks like the OE color).

The yellow one for sale here and pelican looks like a very nice car at a fair price, and you'd have lots of headroom in your budget to tweak or fix incidentals.

The 71 looks nice, but for your budget i'd hold out for a side shifter.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 5 2012, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(TerrySmith @ Dec 5 2012, 01:43 AM) *

In general: Stock FI ~= PEFI > Dual Carbs > Single Carb.

All 914-4s came with FI from the factory (the sixes came with carbs).

I believe there were some factory 4 cylinder Solex carb'd 914s sold in Europe.
vitaminC
QUOTE(TerrySmith @ Dec 6 2012, 11:53 PM) *

Burgundy

Anybody know anything about either of these?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=getty&st=0

That yellow one is a beauty! wub.gif
gaspump
I looked up values of 914 on the NADA site and WOW, were they high. A 73-74 was listed at low retail, $13,000, high retail at $22000. Where in the world do they get these figures from? I haven't seen any cars for sale at these kinds of prices. Any thoughts? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(gaspump @ Dec 8 2012, 09:59 AM) *

I looked up values of 914 on the NADA site and WOW, were they high. A 73-74 was listed at low retail, $13,000, high retail at $22000. Where in the world do they get these figures from? I haven't seen any cars for sale at these kinds of prices. Any thoughts? confused24.gif

I have.
I've seen several /4s go for $20+k
I've seen many /4s go for $13+k

But those are all low mileage cars that are in perfect condition. Not many of those out there.
chowtime.gif
gaspump
I understand that price leval for a 914-6, but it did not give any model info in their price range. They must factored in the 914-6 cars with their price range. That really screws it up IMO, for the owners of ordinary 914's, or those looking for the same.
Gint
I would take a good look at this car if I were you. That's pretty sweet for $10k.

914 in 914world classifieds
tumamilhem
I have a nice one for sale. Rebuilt engine, all mechanics serviced, documentation for everything, nice interior, all original. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=197510
dlkawashima
Any updates TerrySmith?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.