Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six SC Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marinmcgreevy
I have a question regarding the distributor on my 914/6. I have been told by the PO that the distributor on my engine (1981 SC w/98mm JE pistons) is a Bosch unit that rotates in the same direction as the original 2.0 and not in the reverse direction of a normal SC distributor. He said it has a special curve and required a different gear to work on the SC block. There are no points or no vacuum diaphragm on the distributor. It has a Permatune CDI. I have not been able to read any markings on the distributor. The engine was built ten years ago and the previous owner has not been able to find the file with all the engine specs. Does the discription of the distributor ring a bell to anyone?

The car runs great and I have not checked the timing yet. However, someday I will and I am looking for any information.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
SLITS
Ok, he took a normal Bosch 6 cyl dizzy, had the drive gear changed and recurved the dizzy. Plausible, but expensive for a single gear. I'm not a six person and did not know the rotation of the dizzy was different in an SC.

If they completely rebuilt it, the could have media blasted the numbers off it or if it was an early one with the metal tag, they just removed it.
michel richard
I've actually done something similar. But if the gear on the distributor shaft has been changed, the drive gear on the crankshaft must have been changed too, which means it can only have been done at a point in time where the whole engine was apart.
The distributor shafts are the same diameter and the gear from one will physically fit onto the other.
As for recurving, you need to swap the whole advance plate, because the advance would otherwise become a retard. Once again, it can be done.
I have found that a lot of parts inside the various Bosch distributors share common dimensions, whether they were on a VW, a Porsche, a SAAB or whatever. I've built a couple of distributors using later VW Golf parts inside an otherwise stock 914-4 distributor.

Michel Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.