Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Trim Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
So how do you remove the sail trim? I got the two vertical pieces off no problem, but I can't figure out how to pull the horizontal one off. It slides back and forth in that channel, but it doesn't slide past the flange that the sail is spot welded to. Please let me know how to do this.

Also, above the rear window on the underside of the targa bar there are 6 plastic plugs that pop into what seems to be threaded holes, what are these for?

Thanks,

Chris
dmenche914
the horizontial trim is held by some clips, that are pressed into holes, and on the ends, tabs bent under the vertical trim, and the strip on on the door post.

Since the vertical trim is off, that tab should be free, and then you need to free the tab from the door post. After that a little light prying with a rag padded screwdriver blade can be used along the top of the trim to pop out the clips that are in the holes in the body.

Around each of the clips, there is supposed to be a rubber water plug, it is a small rubber cup with a lip that you press into the holes before installing the trim.
This keeps water out of the sail panel interior, which is very important, as it will stay there and rust from the insdie out.

After many years the rubber cups are likely disinigrated, or never replaced if the trim was removed in the past.

So when you re-install, be sure to get some new seals, often overlooked this is important to prevent rust.

good luck. You painting your car???
type11969
my car needs a whole lot more than painting . . . I'm pulling the fenders to redo the wheel wells, then probably replacing the fenders if I can find a good set.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I will be able to get the trim off.

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.