Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clewett Engineering - Crank fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good evening

Is anyone using the Clewett Engineering crank fire set up?

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page...products_id=291

Thanks

David
Mike Bellis
Spendy... I think there are cheaper solutions... Anr't there? McMark?
Mark Henry
Not the same Mark but....

I'm assuming this is for a /6.

Clewett Engineering crank fire set up is I believe Electromotive with their crankfire kit, it works good but is a bit spendy. The older units uses little dials on the unit to set advance and rev limit, I don't know if the newer models are now laptop program or not.
You sometimes see used units on the bird board.

MegaJolt Jr. does programmable EDIS crankfire or you can run megasquirt crankfire in ignition only.
Running the MS would also give you the future option of programmable FI. both are laptop programmable.
You would have to fab your own missing tooth wheel and trigger mount (not overly hard) or you can buy the Clewett pulley separate.

There is also MSD AL6-2 programmable ignition where you lock out the dizzy advance, but some have said the 2.0-2.7 dizzy cap is too small and causes phasing issues. You update the programme via USB flash drive.
Mark Henry
I should add running megasquirt crankfire gives you more ignition options, MSD through the dizzy, coil on plug, Ford EDIS (IIRC), etc.
McMark
I've been looking into a trigger setup for sixes, but don't have anything yet.
edwin
Pretty sure joe at series 9 used one on a build
Personally it looks over engineered because they didn't think it through
Hangs a shaft off the front of the fan and has the trigger wheel in front of the housing
Mac marks setup is much much nicer and I used a different solution on mine that ill try get some photos of when I get home tonight
My 2c
Edwin
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 8 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Good evening

Is anyone using the Clewett Engineering crank fire set up?

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page...products_id=291

Thanks

David

I'm currently using one from Clewett. Things to consider when playing...it was told to me years ago...if you want to play + have quality product after purchase support. Your going to pay. I think it applies to life in general
ellisor3
QUOTE(edwin @ Dec 9 2012, 12:44 AM) *

Pretty sure joe at series 9 used one on a build
Personally it looks over engineered because they didn't think it through
Hangs a shaft off the front of the fan and has the trigger wheel in front of the housing
Mac marks setup is much much nicer and I used a different solution on mine that ill try get some photos of when I get home tonight
My 2c
Edwin

I have Electromotive on my 6, and yes Joe did do the install. You can see it in my signature. It is expensive, but once it is set up it is bullet proof. It is laptop programable.
edwin
The kit in the link is for a 4cyl
I like their computer etc but on a four you get a much better result putting the wheel behind the fan or use a cam angle sensor
Harpo
I agree that the fan mounted pick up is expensive and cumbersome. I like McMarks approach with the wheel mounted behind the fan. The magnetic sensor that they use is larger (longer) that the one that McMark used so packaging behind the fan shroud may be challenging.

There are two controllers XDI & XDI-2. The XDI-2 allows for the laptop

Thanks

David
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 8 2012, 11:35 PM) *

I've been looking into a trigger setup for sixes, but don't have anything yet.

Clewett sells their pulley separate or you can get one a little cheaper from http://www.goingsuperfast.com/FORPORSCHE.html
You can just get a >$50 universal 36/1 degree wheel with a 1/2 centre hole and bolt it right to the front of the pulley, You would need a washer (spacer) and you would have to pin it in the final position. The PITA of doing that is you have to remove the sensor to change the fan belt.

Harpo you still have not stated if this is a /4 or /6, but your link is /4.
For a /4 I would pick McMark's trigger wheel solution, I don't like the Clewett's at all.
carr914
I have used it in the Past on 2 Cars in Twin-Plug applications & it worked well. I used early versions (Dials not computer adjustments).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Harpo
My application is a 4, I was under the impression that MCMarks will only work with FI. I'm running carbs.

DAvid
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 9 2012, 09:16 AM) *

My application is a 4, I was under the impression that MCMarks will only work with FI. I'm running carbs.

DAvid

It is a FI system (megasquirt) but you can run it in ignition only, would give you the option of going to FI at a later date.

Or megajolt jr which is DIY but you could get Mark to put together a kit for you if you want, at least you can use his trigger wheel set up.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/File:MegajoltE_map.jpg

A little bit more work than a Clewett but they both would need a engine drop to install.
I don't like how the Clewett mounts (like an old smog pump) at all, but you would need to remove the trigger set-up anytime you changed the fan belt.
Question I'd want answered on the Clewett is "does a fan belt change require a engine drop?"

Personally I'd just run a mallory dizzy for a carbed /4.
GeorgeRud
I've had the Clewitt setup on my conversion -6 for many years, and have been very happy with it. It is the older HPV-1 system that uses the dials.

While I'm sure that newer computerized systems are more flexible, the Clewitt system is reliable and beautifully made. The only problem is that it's very difficult to space the sensor if the engine is in the car. Luckily, I only had one sensor go bad in all these years, so it's not been that bad of a problem.
Mark Henry
BTW the reason the /6 carb guys run a Clewett or megajolt jr is for dual plug (repro RSR dizzy starting at <$1900, plus the MSD and 2 coils) or a recurved stock dizzy is <$600, plus the MSD box and coil.

Those high prices makes the Clewett or megajolt jr solutions very attractive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.