Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

OK, so finally received my rebuilt starter/ solenoid.

I had both of my batteries checked and they were putting out 600 cranking amps, so good.

Bolted it up this morning - it immediately worked better, i.e., turning the engine over faster than my previous Tilton.

So after started up and warmup I checked the voltage (at idle) at the battery and it was 13.3 voltts. Is this enough or what is the alternator susposed to put out?

I do have a new Bosch ready to go in if it's needed.
Trekkor
I would expect to see 12.4 or close without the motor running.

13.3 at idle and see if it creeps up to 14.1 or less above 1500 rpms would be great.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 9 2012, 06:09 PM) *

13.3 at idle and see if it creeps up to 14.1 or less above 1500 rpms would be great.

KT

Thanks Trekkor. I'll try it tomorrow morning.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 9 2012, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 9 2012, 06:09 PM) *

KT

Thanks Trekkor. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

So when it starts it immediately pops up beyond 14 volts, then (VR) clicks and is back to 13.3. unsure.gif
Trekkor
Sounds good.

I'd be worried if it was showing the same voltage running or not.

KT
Randal
So what voltage is the VR supposed to put out? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Different regulators regulate to different voltages. I even picked up an adjustable one from NAPA a number of years ago.

Anything over about 13 means you're charging the battery. Anything over about 15 means you're over-charging the battery. So you're fine.

--DD
Randal
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 11 2012, 09:26 PM) *

Different regulators regulate to different voltages. I even picked up an adjustable one from NAPA a number of years ago.

Anything over about 13 means you're charging the battery. Anything over about 15 means you're over-charging the battery. So you're fine.

--DD

Thank you Dave and Trekkor for your responses. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.