Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need info on installing intermittent wiper relays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I understand the wiper relays will work for 1972-76 914s, because these cars have the brown/black wres in the main harness.

Which wiper lever switches will work with this…? I understand that a 924 switch will work. Got part numbers that work with the relay?

914.613.915.14 Stock 72-74 wiper switch?
914.613.915.15 Stock 75-76 wiper switch?

Is there a tab on the wiper switch that needs to be removed for the intermittent function? Where exactly is the tab? Any photos?

TIA
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 10 2012, 06:43 AM) *

I understand the wiper relays will work for 1972-76 914s, because these cars have the brown/black wres in the main harness.

Which wiper lever switches will work with this…? I understand that a 924 switch will work. Got part numbers that work with the relay?

914.613.915.14 Stock 72-74 wiper switch?
914.613.915.15 Stock 75-76 wiper switch?

Is there a tab on the wiper switch that needs to be removed for the intermittent function? Where exactly is the tab? Any photos?

I used a stock '74 steering column and '74 main wire harness in my car (before i went with the /6 column) and it had everything already in the column.

I do not recall having to break off any tabs. All i did was to install the socket and add-on harness, hook it up to the wiper motor, find the brown/black wire in the loom and everything worked as advertised.
popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
I used the 924 switch on my 74 column. The plug is too wide to fit through the column. You need to remove the plug from the 914 switch and move the extra lead to the lower empty slot. Much easier "done than said".
zig-n-zag
There is an article written in Up-Fixin der Porsche volume 9 on this.

Trim the tab on the steering column cover which will allow the
wiper switch to go downward one position from "off" to intermittent.

The intermittent relay part# is 111.955.531

Hope this helps, good luck!
jim_hoyland
agree.gif The 924 switch was the easiest way to go.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2012, 11:13 AM) *

I used the 924 switch on my 74 column. The plug is too wide to fit through the column. You need to remove the plug from the 914 switch and move the extra lead to the lower empty slot. Much easier "done than said".

agree.gif I bought a 924 switch from GPR about 8 years ago. If I remember correctly I had to trim some off the connector but it worked great and still does. Of course I only drive in the rain maybe twice a year. laugh.gif
GaroldShaffer
While the 924 switch will work, it is not the same as a 914 switch. The difference is it brings the switch closer to the steering wheel. If you have meat hooks for hands you tend to hit the switch while turning the wheel. dry.gif
914werke
Doesnt explain Jeffs question, & Andys comment? Why use a 924 switch assembly if the OE 914 switch will work?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 10 2012, 05:34 PM) *

Doesnt explain Jeffs question, & Andys comment? Why use a 924 switch assembly if the OE 914 switch will work?

Only reason I would see if the OE switch was bad to start with. confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
"Trim the tab on the steering column cover which will allow the
wiper switch to go downward one position from "off" to intermittent"

I don't see how this works...butcher up the cover?...the lock mechanism is right there in the way. Got photos?

I hear the 924 switches are being used becasue they are available, (914 switches NLA) and they have another wire that can be used for a washer pump.
914Sixer
Okay, here are the pictures. I just happened to have some columns out. You simply cut the plastic bottom tab off on the switch.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Mark, It looks like the steering column cover is notched, not the switch. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Eric_Shea

Electric lead for washer pump all in one switch.

While the 924 switch will work, it is not the same as a 914 switch. The difference is it brings the switch closer to the steering wheel. If you have meat hooks for hands you tend to hit the switch while turning the wheel.

Maybe there are different ones. Mine seems to be the same:

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
Thanks Mark, It looks like the steering column cover is notched, not the switch. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No, it's the switch.
Eric_Shea
For Kevin:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
914werke
Eric are the rubber isolators still available new? Part # ?
914Sixer
Jeff,
The picture is a little off. The angle of cover for the ignition switch is in the corner. You just cut the bottom of the plastic tab on the wiper switch. 1st picture show switch with not cut off. You can take a knife and cut tab off with column in car, or you can cut it off smooth be for installing switch.
914Sixer
Isolators are still available, about $8 each. 914.628.741.00 Stopper
a914622
So with that figured out can the programable delay be used?

I just put on in the vanagon and its sweet! Pull the switch down to on/ then off/ then wait the amount you want the delay/ pull the switch back down to on= wiper delay is set as long or short as you want. I think relay number was 321 955 531A.

The trimming of the tab lets the wiper arm go down into the delay setting.

jcl
914Sixer
Relay part number is for a VW Rabbit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.