Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's talk fuel pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
i'm looking at a Holley Red or a Carter 4070 fuel pump to feed 44 idf's on a high-ish compression 2 liter with an angressive cam. anyone had any experience with either pump? got something else that you like?
machina
The holley's are pure junk. The pump casting is very poorly made. Mine cracked.

Get the Mallory 4070 LP. It is a low pressure pump but you'll need a return regulator. The pump is machined from billet and is just loud enough to hear power up. Also only draws 2.5 amps.

I think an easier route is one of the facets. I don't know anything about the carter.
type11969
I'm using a cheap facet pump (came with the car), but in order to get the proper pressure at the carbs, you really need a pressure regulator too. Instead you could just buy the rotary fuel pump at ac.net that is internally regulated to the 3-3.5 psi that your carbs will need. I used to have one, they are pretty quiet, at least much more so than the facet.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...FSP0001&cartid=

-Chris
SLITS
Used them all - FACET is cheap and works....................................
iamchappy
I personally like the 914 6 pump, I have one thats been sitting around for awhile if your interested.
rhodyguy
the rotary from cbperformance for $53.95 is the deal. hardware included.

kevin
Joe Bob
Facets are loud but are stupid proof....good in SLITS' case.... biggrin.gif

Rotary ones are nice and quiet,,,,but I have yet to have one for a long time to judge endurance....I prefer to hear my pump fire up...most of my engines will drown out the pump once running.

The radios will drown out the engine if I so choose....
Root_Werks
I am running a Facet (the big one) the $79 one? and a pressure reg set at 3.5lbs. Pretty quiet, I can hardly hear it before starting the engine. Also mounts nicely in the factory spot.
aircooledboy
I am running a Carter on the 8, and even mounted on rubber isolators, it sounds like a jackhamer about 70% of the time. wink.gif
bernbomb914
I agree about the jack hammer sound
for the carter pump very loud headbang.gif

Bernie
SteveSr
Does Mallory make that billet pump for fuel injection?

SteveSr
scooter311
Heya
My Holley red and a regulator work fine for me - 2056 with 40s, big cam, and press set at 5. Seems to work best there? Mine looks different from the pic though, my top casting is round.
Pretty loud though, fun at the gas station to see people gawk.

rolleyes.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SteveSr @ Nov 8 2004, 09:41 AM)

SteveSr

Yep. Got one sitting in a box at home. Never been used. Cost me 2 bills. Left over from my hot rodding days.
Never installed the EFI on the small block that I bought it for.
machina
QUOTE(SteveSr @ Nov 8 2004, 01:41 PM)

SteveSr

yes, they make several pumps. Check summit or the mr gasket website.
machina
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Nov 8 2004, 01:46 PM)
My Holley red and a regulator work fine for me - 2056 with 40s, big cam, and press set at 5. Seems to work best there? Mine looks different from the pic though, my top casting is round.

that's the problem with them 5psi is way too much for webers.
dinomium
I had the CB performace pump and it worked GREAT. I hated my faucet pump... Now Shane has the rotary pump on his car.
J P Stein
I've been running Facet with no regulator for 4-5 years. No problems except with the noise. ...but when the motor's lit, it fades into background noise....along with everything else biggrin.gif

IIRC, they have 2 models.....3.5 & 4.5 psi. I use the 4.5 duber.
theol00
I had to replace the holley after 3 month - repaced it with a Facet - it is much quiter/samller/lighter and works well
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.