Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeler: Engine price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
sixaddict
I know this is pig-in a poke story
Looking to establish value of professionally built 1.7 to 2. liter motor. Also who is California based race shop owned by asian four cylinder guru...
Have no more info on engine sorry
Thanks
Terry
sixaddict
I am surprised ....no opinions confused24.gif
complete with carbs....gut estimate is good !
Thanks
biosurfer1
this is the classifieds, post in the garage to get opinions
Mark Henry
IPB Image
Rand
Have no more info on engine sorry

^ That explains this:

I am surprised ....no opinions confused24.gif

It is impossible to put a value on a rebuilt engine without knowing details of the build and builder reputation.

So, curious.... is he an Asian engine builder, or does he build Asian engines? smile.gif I'm trying to figure out if we are supposed to recognize who he is by that, or if he specializes engines that are nothing like Type 4s.
jwc914
value of pro built 1.7 to 2.0 typr 4 motor. that would be between $10,000 and $15,000. labor rates in cal are around $100. per hour. a professional would require new heads, new p/c new exhaust and many new f/i components. parts and shipping would easily exceed $8,000. That does not allow a lot for labor and profit and takes time. the only way to do it cheaper is to rebuild 10 engines at a time and you could probably save $1,000. good luck finding 9 other guys willing to buy the other 9 engines
Rand
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 21 2012, 12:21 PM) *

value of pro built 1.7 to 2.0 typr 4 motor. that would be between $10,000 and $15,000.

Unless we still don't know the specs and builder reputation, saying it was built by a pro doesn't mean anything. If I had two seconds to decide between your unknown pro $15,000 engine and one of McMark's $5000 2056s, it would be a no brainer. I'm not a gambling man.

There are pros like Jake, FAT, and Motormeister. Then there's specs, and a bunch of other complete unknowns. I stick to my point: You can't place a value on this without the pertinent information.
jwc914
rand, he simply asked the value of a pro built motor, not the actual cost. i will stick with my 10 to 15 grand as value
Rand
Ok, no dog in the fight or bones to pick. smile.gif

Actually, I'm talking about value too. confused24.gif
Am I missing something, or does this make my point stronger?

Planning cost before building is a very calculated process.
But determining the value of an existing engine with so many unknowns is a complete mystery.
Tom_T
Try emailing your question to FAT Performance out here in Orange CA - not an "Asian owner", but Ron the owner of FAT may know who you're asking about. They're website is online... type.gif
sixaddict
Ok ...I know my post was inadequate but that was all I had ...Seller trying to get value for something no one has info on. Rand (and others make best point) no documentation no value. I'm done ...thanks

Everyone have a Merry and a Happy.

All the best !
Rand
Hey Terry,

I antagonize sometimes, but I only hope to raise points that make people think.

Happy 12/21.

All the best to you and yours as well.
beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2012, 12:44 PM) *

Try emailing your question to FAT Performance out here in Orange CA - not an "Asian owner", but Ron the owner of FAT may know who you're asking about. They're website is online... type.gif

Still a mystery cloak for me. Apparently I'm lame and not a local. I guess I should know who we are talking about because FAT Ron is an Asian???

(Not directed at you, Tom......... Just trying to figure out the Asian reference. Fuching cloakers can't speak straight up.)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 21 2012, 03:21 PM) *

value of pro built 1.7 to 2.0 typr 4 motor. that would be between $10,000 and $15,000. labor rates in cal are around $100. per hour. a professional would require new heads, new p/c new exhaust and many new f/i components. parts and shipping would easily exceed $8,000. That does not allow a lot for labor and profit and takes time. the only way to do it cheaper is to rebuild 10 engines at a time and you could probably save $1,000. good luck finding 9 other guys willing to buy the other 9 engines

Damn! I'm not charging near enough for my engine builds blink.gif

$15k that would be a nickies engine maybe even a /6 rebuild slap.gif

MDG are you seeing this...we really don't have the price nailed down on your engine yet happy11.gif
euro911
Jake might charge you 10~15K for a motor, but that wouldn't be a stock motor.

A stock 1.7L or 2.0L from most professional builders would be much less ... I'd say 4~7K with a lot of new parts would be a more realistic number.
sixaddict
stirthepot.gif

Sorry guys but I do appreciate the points .....

I have been ringing my hands because seller is nice guy and I just can't rationalize his $$.
I have said ...if someone has a car for sale for 10K that is worth 3k and you get it for 5.....you have gotten a bad deal !
popcorn[1].gif
Rand
Are you re-asking us to tell you that you have a diamond in the rust?

Stop wringing your hands. Buy it. Tell us about it later.
monkeyboy
With the information you have given, I have to assume the worst. It's a core motor that may run. I'd pay no more than $500 for that.

If the seller can prove it's something more, the price goes up from there.
Rand
You said "pig in a poke" in the OP.

What was the point of this thread?
Al Meredith
I build about 2 engines a year, It takes me about 40 hours to dissassemble , clean, and reassemble a Ty4 engine . That is if you bring it to me and I don't have to measure anything , just put it together with new rings, brgs ETC. lapping valves , honing cylinders and so on is extra. Just an estimate.
jimkelly
i'd agree with the mcmark 2056 comparision, making the engine in question certainly worth less than $5000, especially not knowing any details.
mepstein
Here's the usual ad - Pro built engine. All the good stuff. Running condition when parked 10 years ago. biggrin.gif
Evil914
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 21 2012, 12:21 PM) *

WTF.gif I guess I'm in the wrong business being a marine mechanic as we only charge $78 an hour.......... biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 21 2012, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 21 2012, 03:21 PM) *

Damn! I'm not charging near enough for my engine builds blink.gif

$15k that would be a nickies engine maybe even a /6 rebuild slap.gif

MDG are you seeing this...we really don't have the price nailed down on your engine yet happy11.gif

So what are Len Hoffman heads, nickies, ceramic lifters, billet cranks and rods going for these days?
Cracker
Terry,

My "Pro Built" 2356 cc type 4 cost about $10,500 and that was with the engine core
being supplied. All the good stuff in it (JE Pistons, Forged Rods, etc). FAT built it but was
not an all out race engine. It was rated at 165 hp and built for reliability.
jwc914
I"ll stick to my $10 to 15 grand value. If you go back and read the question he asked for the value of a pro built engine. an engine is from air filter to tailpipe. a professional would not be able to warranty an engine unless he did the tuning himself. I see some quotes for a longblock @ 6900 addf/i and exhaust and labor to assemble and tune and what do you get. Just because a guy sells longblocks for a little over $5,000 doesnt mean you will have a car you can count on to drive everyday.
rjames

WTF.gif Is there a point to this thread?
Evil914
QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 22 2012, 09:20 PM) *

My point would be that I'll laugh at your $15k motor as I blow past with my roller cam,roller rocker,forged pistoned 7500 rpm 302 Chevy built for less than 4 grand.I love the concept of the 914 but it's insane to put out that kind money to produce so little performance.And no,I didn't chop up a virgin 914 to build my V8 car,I bought a car that had already been modified.But to each his own,if I had the money I'd love to have a 914/6 but I'm very happy with the bang for the buck from a V8.Just my two cents.......... santa_smiley.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Evil914 @ Dec 23 2012, 03:31 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 22 2012, 09:20 PM) *

My point would be that I'll laugh at your $15k motor as I blow past with my roller cam,roller rocker,forged pistoned 7500 rpm 302 Chevy built for less than 4 grand.I love the concept of the 914 but it's insane to put out that kind money to produce so little performance.And no,I didn't chop up a virgin 914 to build my V8 car,I bought a car that had already been modified.But to each his own,if I had the money I'd love to have a 914/6 but I'm very happy with the bang for the buck from a V8.Just my two cents.......... santa_smiley.gif

Sorry off topic (but): Bring that puppy up to Cascade Lakes and run with us; I get tired of being the only 914 there. It would be a big V8 against a 4... or if that's boring chase the purpose built hill climb cars. biggrin.gif
tomeric914
I love the term "Pro Built". Let's look up the meaning of 'Professional"

pro·fes·sion·al
[pruh-fesh-uh-nl] - following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

So someone built an engine and got paid for it. That's all "Pro Built" means to me.

MotorMeister is a group of "Professionals" and could be considered "Pro Built" as well. They may build a decent motor once in a great while out of pure luck, but the rest are garbage.
jwc914
So you NOW challenge the definition of professional. I have both the balls and the brains to answer the question, you can only keep changing the question. What do you have to add to the discussion. please, for the benifit of all, do not respond unless you can add something btw where did you get that weak def of professional because the one i have is 4 pages long
jwc914
Evil 914 I have no doubt that your hot rod would blow my poor little 2.0 $15000. motor away in a straight away drag strip situation but you are too scared to rece kanan rd and mulholland, no? see you manana 101 and kanan rd 6am
tomeric914
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 23 2012, 07:40 PM) *

So you NOW challenge the definition of professional. I have both the balls and the brains to answer the question, you can only keep changing the question. What do you have to add to the discussion. please, for the benifit of all, do not respond unless you can add something btw where did you get that weak def of professional because the one i have is 4 pages long

Well, ok Mr. 12 posts, if you must ask http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professional?s=t

Not sure what the hell you're referencing with respect to changing the question, but let's see all the wisdom in your 4 page definition.
jwc914
evil 914, sorry i did not realise your from texas. you can run a red at 100 with impunity. 914 irrevalent
jwc914
tomeric914 I DARE YOU TO GO BACK AND READ THE ORIGINAL QUESTION
jwc914
TOMERIC what is your answer to the original question. you have nothing to add so shut up moron
jwc914
the whole point of this thread is that the value of a 914 1,7 to 2.0 is 10 to 15 grand. we could debate every word in the question untill we sadly agree that is between 10 and 15 gr
jwc914
HOW ABOUT $10 and $15,000.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Dec 23 2012, 05:43 PM) *

TOMERIC what is your answer to the original question. you have nothing to add so shut up moron

uh oh, internet tuff guy alert.... sheeplove.gif santa_smiley.gif

IBLT
Gint
Sixaddict, you got some opinions.

JWC914, Forum rules. No name calling. Let's not see that again please.

This thread is done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.