Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HB gears...found a set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mittelmotor
I'm planning on re-gearing my 901 to better suit a V-8. Will pay $200-$250 for an H or HB set, plus shipping. Looking for nice used gears with no galling on the teeth.

Please PM me if you have a set for sale. Thx!

--Doug

P.S. I found a set for sale
DblDog
Doug,

I have a NOS set of HA gears, with new dog teeth...because they're new, I'd like $300 shipped...

Bob

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 22 2012, 09:36 PM) *

I'm planning on re-gearing my 901 to better suit a V-8. Will pay $200-$250 for an H or HA set, plus shipping. Looking for nice used gears with no galling on the teeth.

Please PM me if you have a set for sale. Thx!

--Doug

running914
QUOTE(DblDog @ Dec 23 2012, 07:50 AM) *

Doug,

I have a NOS set of HA gears, with new dog teeth...because they're new, I'd like $300 shipped...

Bob

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 22 2012, 09:36 PM) *

I'm planning on re-gearing my 901 to better suit a V-8. Will pay $200-$250 for an H or HA set, plus shipping. Looking for nice used gears with no galling on the teeth.

Please PM me if you have a set for sale. Thx! Let me know if the deal with doug does not go through, running914

--Doug

mittelmotor
I was mistaken on the gear codes. I need either H or HB gears; I found out through Dr. Evil that the HA gears won't work for 5th.

--Doug
Evil914
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 23 2012, 07:47 PM) *

I was mistaken on the gear codes. I need either H or HB gears; I found out through Dr. Evil that the HA gears won't work for 5th.

--Doug

Just a dumb question,Is there any way to determine what 5th gear you have with out taking the transaxle apart? I have five of them including one that the salvage tore out of the car with a fork lift before they crushed it,breaking off the mounting arms.Did a certain year or engine size have the H or HB gears?Just trying to learn.Carl
mittelmotor
Hi Carl,

Not a dumb question!

If they're stock 914 transaxles, 5th gear is a ZD gearset (31 teeth/22 teeth. 0.71 ratio), versus what I want to get: a flipped HB (31/19, 0.61) or flipped H (32/19, 0.59). For me, a flipped H will lower cruising revs at 80 mph to about 3200 rpm, versus about 4000 now. As I understand it, all 4-cylinder 914s throughout the production run had ZD gears for 5th.

The H and HB gears come out of other variants of the 901 transaxle as fitted to 911s (and possibly 912s). It's so cool that many of the gearsets interchange, so you can mix and match. But apparently not the HA. sad.gif

The flipped 5th makes sense for a big, torquey water-cooled V-8, not so much for a 90-bhp air-cooled flat-4, for a couple of reasons: the flat-4 doesn't really have enough torque to carry that tall of a 5th gear, and it's beneficial to spin the air-cooled engine a little faster at freeway speeds, to keep the fan speed up and enhance cooling.

--Doug
Evil914
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 24 2012, 07:11 PM) *

Hi Carl,

Not a dumb question!

If they're stock 914 transaxles, 5th gear is a ZD gearset (31 teeth/22 teeth. 0.71 ratio), versus what I want to get: a flipped HB (31/19, 0.61) or flipped H (32/19, 0.59). For me, a flipped H will lower cruising revs at 80 mph to about 3200 rpm, versus about 4000 now. As I understand it, all 4-cylinder 914s throughout the production run had ZD gears for 5th.

The H and HB gears come out of other variants of the 901 transaxle as fitted to 911s (and possibly 912s). It's so cool that many of the gearsets interchange, so you can mix and match. But apparently not the HA. sad.gif

The flipped 5th makes sense for a big, torquey water-cooled V-8, not so much for a 90-bhp air-cooled flat-4, for a couple of reasons: the flat-4 doesn't really have enough torque to carry that tall of a 5th gear, and it's beneficial to spin the air-cooled engine a little faster at freeway speeds, to keep the fan speed up and enhance cooling.

--Doug

Thank you,I just got a little smarter(just a little). idea.gif
mittelmotor
A found a set...they should be en route in a day or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.