Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advise or Thread referrals: 1.8 liter engine rebuild / upgrade w/ stock L-Jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
The title says it all.

Looking for advise and or threads to help me make informed decisions regarding a possible future rebuild / upgrade of my 1.8 liter that has a very reliable and well maintained L-Jet injection.

I have heard 1911 is a good evolutionary step.
I have heard "2.0 liter max!"

I have heard not to go bigger than 2.0 liter as my FI system won't play nice with it.
...but I have heard that you can use the famed 2056 w/ mods. wacko.gif

I looked around the world but only found bits and pieces of info on doing 1.8 liter L-jet upgrades. I am sure that I overlooked a classic thread on this subject.

Any info or leads are appreciated.

santa_smiley.gif Thank you in advance for your help!
and a Merry Christmas too All! santa_smiley.gif
davesprinkle
Djet doesn't like changes in engine displacement. But Ljet handles increased displacement (within reason) with no problems.

(Without getting too technical, this is because the mechanism of airflow measurement is different between the two systems. Djet measures pressure and INFERS an airflow based on a displacement. Ljet just measures the airflow directly with no assumptions.)

I just recently had my stock 1.8liter upgraded to a 2056. Runs just like stock.
AndyB
I have or should say had a 1.8 with L-jet. I now run a 2.2l with L-jet. I had Racer Chris build it. I enjoy every time I step on the throttle. I don't know what the hp is and don't really care. What I do know is my car is way more fun now.
Black22
I have a 1911 w/ L-jet. It was a good upgrade over the stock 1.8. I also had my heads modified to 2.0L specs with ported intakes. Car is a lot more fun! I can only imagine what a 2056 is like!

I think the L-jet can handle more displacement that 2 liters. As much air as I'm pulling through my engine now, I can still tune it very rich. When you can't adjust out of the lean anymore, then you're in trouble.
pnewman
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 23 2012, 08:34 AM) *

Djet doesn't like changes in engine displacement. But Ljet handles increased displacement (within reason) with no problems.

(Without getting too technical, this is because the mechanism of airflow measurement is different between the two systems. Djet measures pressure and INFERS an airflow based on a displacement. Ljet just measures the airflow directly with no assumptions.)

I just recently had my stock 1.8liter upgraded to a 2056. Runs just like stock.

You are just the person that I am looking to talk to. piratenanner.gif
I am so glad that you replied to my thread!
I have soooo many questions to ask you.
Do you have a build thread? I would like to know your numbers if you don't mind sharing that info. $/Hp/cam & engine specs etc.

Thanks again,

Pete

pnewman
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 23 2012, 09:31 AM) *

I have a 1911 w/ L-jet. It was a good upgrade over the stock 1.8. I also had my heads modified to 2.0L specs with ported intakes. Car is a lot more fun! I can only imagine what a 2056 is like!

I think the L-jet can handle more displacement that 2 liters. As much air as I'm pulling through my engine now, I can still tune it very rich. When you can't adjust out of the lean anymore, then you're in trouble.

I couldn't agree more with your gauge of maxing out the potential of an L-Jet being the inability to run rich being a limit.

zonedoubt
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
LJet estimates the air coming in to the engine by the position of the flap on the AFM. DJet uses the vacuum that the engine is sending to the MPS. I have found LJet to be a much more flexible system. I think you can go to 2056 without trouble. Besides, it is air, not fuel that makes it lean. As long as you keep the intake stock, you probably don't have a problem.
pnewman
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 24 2012, 10:09 AM) *

Besides, it is air, not fuel that makes it lean. As long as you keep the intake stock, you probably don't have a problem.

True Dat': Another member has modified his air intake to feed his hungry beast (displacement) while upgrading the injectors. All whilst thru the L-Jet. biggrin.gif

Looks like 2056 might be a simpler install but larger displacements seem to be possible with some mod's. piratenanner.gif

I wonder if anyone has dyno'd an upgraded engine utilizing the L-Jet.

Good Stuff chowtime.gif
Katmanken
Need to throw the cam into the mix. Too lumpy of a cam (like a carb cam) can make the L-jet air measurement flap flutter which oscillates the mass air flow signal sent to the brain box. L-jet is designed to run with a fairly smooth air flow signal curve across the entire rpm range, and adding an oscillating signal on top of that makes it really hard to estimate how much fuel to squirt.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Dec 25 2012, 11:31 AM) *

Need to throw the cam into the mix. Too lumpy of a cam (like a carb cam) can make the L-jet air measurement flap flutter which oscillates the mass air flow signal sent to the brain box. L-jet is designed to run with a fairly smooth air flow signal curve across the entire rpm range, and adding an oscillating signal on top of that makes it really hard to estimate how much fuel to squirt.

A cam with significant overlap won't cause the flapper to oscillate.
L-jet doesn't use MAF.

Scarlet75's 2.2L has a Webcam 86A.
We installed injectors for a Nissan 280Z and a larger AFM from a vanagon to be certain there would be no shortage of either air or fuel.
Since stock heat was a requirement we installed a Tangerine EVO IV Silencer to improve exhaust flow.

No dyno results, but we were shooting for 140hp.
The torque above 4000rpm is a hoot.
pnewman
Does anyone know of a site that has a step by step guide to adjusting L-Jet injection:
i.e. AFM

zonedoubt
QUOTE(pnewman @ Dec 30 2012, 08:41 AM) *

Does anyone know of a site that has a step by step guide to adjusting L-Jet injection:
i.e. AFM

http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/index.html
Black22
I posted this a while back and can be searched here as "L-jet adjustment".

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7761

***Adjust at your own risk***

Certain experience and equipment ( i.e. gauges) are required to do this properly!
pnewman
I was thinking of starting a new thread to ask this question but perhaps it is unnecessary:

Has anyone heard / used or know the reputation of:

www.importmotor.com

I am interested in:

http://www.importmotor.com/store/ProductDe...mp;DealerId=108

2110 cc sounds like a good max fit for the L-Jet upgrade but don't want to have a piece of junk engine either.

Thoughts? confused24.gif

Their prices look competative.
I am sure that by the time you add the necessary upgrades and options to make it apples to apples it might come up to other quotes.

Thanks, Pete

AndyB
QUOTE(pnewman @ Jan 2 2013, 07:25 PM) *

I was thinking of starting a new thread to ask this question but perhaps it is unnecessary:

www.importmotor.com

I am interested in:

2110 cc sounds like a good max fit for the L-Jet upgrade but don't want to have a piece of junk engine either.

Thoughts? confused24.gif

I am sure that by the time you add the necessary upgrades and options to make it apples to apples it might come up to other quotes.

Thanks, Pete

Pete,

Do a search on them they have been talked about on the site.
wndsnd
QUOTE(pnewman @ Jan 2 2013, 07:25 PM) *

www.importmotor.com

I am interested in:

Thoughts? confused24.gif

Good heads alone are over 2 grand. I would be suspect

Thanks, Pete

pnewman
HOLY CRAP!

I didn't think that running such a simple search would provide such results.

I've been "learned."

I like the one comment: "...as popular as Herpes." I am going to be using that one from now on.

I can't imagine how they have stayed in business.
One of the owners must be a lawyer.
That is the only possible explanation. av-943.gif

I wonder if the cams are made out of paper mache! biggrin.gif

and again.

HOLY CRAP!
pnewman
Ok Ok Ok (Joe Pesci)

So I am not interested in using Importdoodoo's.com

But I must say that they're: "venom" motor spec's interest me.
I wonder if I were to buy it from them if I would get "bit." (couldn't resist.)

Seriously, to push the limits of the L-Jet upgrade beyond the 2056 but perhaps not to the brave 2.2 liter I found these spec's interesting.

2110cc BigBore Stroker Longblock Engine .. 1.7/1.8 Models ... "VENOM"

ITEM #2020 "VENOM" SIZE
2110cc BORE 94mm STROKE 76mm CYL HEADS
4-Stud Intake FLYWHEEL
215mm

BIG-VALVE '248' Cylinder Heads. 44mm x 38mm Valves.
High Performance Camshaft...423 Lift / 270 Duration

Thoughts on this combination? confused24.gif

Mike Sanford
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 25 2012, 11:15 AM) *
]

Scarlet75's 2.2L has a Webcam 86A.
We installed injectors for a Nissan 280Z and a larger AFM from a vanagon to be certain there would be no shortage of either air or fuel.
Since stock heat was a requirement we installed a Tangerine EVO IV Silencer to improve exhaust flow.

No dyno results, but we were shooting for 140hp.
The torque above 4000rpm is a hoot.

Is there a build thread or any more information out there on this?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mike Sanford @ Jan 3 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Is there a build thread or any more information out there on this?

There isn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.