Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media blasting is done!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
william harris
Well, I am very pleased that after months of waiting the media blasting has finally been finished and the car is now in paint for the primer coat.
william harris
The blasting did reveal more serious body damage than was immediately apparant and rather shoddy prior repairs.
william harris
As you can see from the prior picture, the driver's side rear quarter had a very poorly repaired section. Several close ups will follow. Here's the rear, again an area hit and poorly repaired. This will all be fixed in the metal.
Series9
There is something sooo exciting about seeing a 914 bare to the metal. wub.gif
william harris
Interior view. This really cleaned up nicely. Look at that sound deadening material. Looks like tar paper. biggrin.gif
william harris
Here are the lids, doors and miscellaneous pieces. Everything has been blasted and now is being shot into primer.
Rusty
Very sexy... nothing better than a cute body all stripped. wub.gif

Hey, can you post some close-ups of your door braces?

-Rusty smoke.gif
william harris
Check out the passenger side door. Love those holes drilled to remove a dent. These will be welded up and ground down - maybe it will be cheaper to just purchase a "new door." cool_shades.gif
william harris
Here's the close up of the driver's side rear quarter. Man, somebody beat the crap out of this panel. Hammer and dolly work may be able to fix this. We will see.
william harris
Another view of the same panel.
william harris
These are Chris Foley's (tangerineracing.com) rolleyes.gif door braces which he graciously loaned me. They are a work of art (like everything he does). I will post more pictures from home later. Don't have any more on the computer here at work. biggrin.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 9 2004, 12:01 AM)
Interior view. This really cleaned up nicely. Look at that sound deadening material. Looks like tar paper. biggrin.gif

Why didn't you remove the soundproofing before the car was blasted?
brant
wow, all the seam filler is clean... ha...
brant
william harris
The sound proofing was impossible to remove earlier. Now it is all gone. Easy to remove after the media blasting. Hot damn! smile.gif
scruz914
That looks really nice.

What did you do to get all of the media out of the holes and crevasses?

-Jeff
GWN7
Drilling holes was the "way" to pull out dents yrs ago. Now they spotweld studs to the panel and pull on them. Easier to clean up afterwards and no holes. biggrin.gif

Looks great. smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif
william harris
Re media removal: the media used is baking soda. That's right, baking soda under very high pressure. So, when they are done, first they take the car outside and blast it with high pressure air lines. Then they wash the car off with a hose, dissolve the remaining baking soda and it basically flush it out of the interior panels. I couldn't find any residue the next day. And I gave it a real good inspection (white glove variety). We will make really damn sure before the paint is shot. beerchug.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 8 2004, 03:28 PM)
That's right, baking soda ....

And your car will smell fresh day in and day out! Wow that is great!
qa1142
What is the cost if the car is already gutted?
rolleyes.gif
redshift
MAN! That gives me the secondary xylem of a tree!

M
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Woody!
redshift
Can we say that?

unsure.gif

M
Eric_Shea
It's Woodrow Wilson we cannot say... Brad said so! wink.gif
hargray2
Anybody know who does media blasting near Savannah?
redshift
As you well know, I do a TON OF BLASTING AROUND HERE, and sometimes, I blast the media... so..

No.

Chas, SC, $1.75/lb. dip and blast.... so..

M
mskala
Dang it, 250K bytes per 640x480 !?! Save some bits
for somebody else, William!

Just clear coat it and tell people it's a DeLorean.
william harris
Mark, the pictures were e-mailed to me from the blasting facility and I gotta admit I just posted them and didn't consider the bandwidth. Problems? smile.gif
william harris
Here's what it cost me: media blasting was around $1,000. Then to have them shoot everything in the Dupont Variprime (zinc rich, etching primer) was another $1,000. So, I just spent $2,000 to get the car ready for body work (read - little to no body filler) and away she goes. biggrin.gif Here's another closeup of the door braces built by Chris Foley.
william harris
So now all the bare metal is gone and the dull gray of primer is on. clap56.gif
william harris
I haven't quite used to that look. Kinda looks like a new car, but a couple of weeks from now, the 2004 Lapis Blue is gonna be sprayed!
william harris
Here's the view of the area that will need a lot of work. Will post pictures when the body guy gets this sorted out.
william harris
Final picture for today. This is the other area that is gonna require some metal work.
william harris
Oops forgot to post.
Jeroen
dang, that looks sweet!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 8 2004, 02:01 PM)

I thought it was tarpaper they used
djm914-6
Wow, such a clean car. Can I come out and play too? I'd love to see what a chassis is supposed to look like.
william harris
Dave (and anybody else up here interested) I am picking up the car Thursday and it will be in my garage for a couple of weeks before it goes to further body work and paint (yeah, who hasn't read the "Gold Plated Porsche"?)(I'm a nut, but basically harmless), so if you want to look at it, call me at the office and we will get together. 978 921-2929. beerchug.gif
Doug Leggins
Way to go!!! The tub looks great!

Another complete rebuild/restoration in progress - smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

It is fantastic to see enthusiasts get into a complete rebuild - enjoy!
william harris
Well, the body will be great - better than new. But, the motor, the motor - I'm still wanting real bad to do that Jake Raby/Kit Carlson/Chris Foley-Tangerine Racing thing. I am talking to Chris Foley to get hooked up with Jake Raby so we can build the motor up here - I just want to build the motor within the next six months. I am going to bug these guys to hopefully have a running car again. burnout.gif
Gint
Looking great William!

You've inspired me to post the new pics of my tub. Maybe later...
mightyohm
So why do they prime the body before doing body work?
seanery
bare metal rusts very quickly, it's for protection
balljoint
These pictures are reminding me of Gints thread from a few months ago. Any progress there?

I love to see these nekkid 914s and what the sheetmetal would look like on my car if there was actually anything there.
curtis
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 9 2004, 12:37 PM)
I haven't quite used to that look. Kinda looks like a new car, but a couple of weeks from now, the 2004 Lapis Blue is gonna be sprayed!

smilie_pokal.gif I love that color!!! wub.gif
ChrisFoley
The rotisserie was supposed to get primered at the same time, lol!
The last total restoration I was involved in took just over a year start to finish, so you're right on schedule.
If you have the entire exterior color sprayed now, plan on some touch-up work after the car is reassembled.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 9 2004, 05:15 PM)
If you have the entire exterior color sprayed now, plan on some touch-up work after the car is reassembled.

I've done it both ways, but my preference now is to paint everything except the exterior, install the drivetrain and interior, and then do the finish paint on the exterior panels.

I've done very well doing the entire car, and then re-assembling everything without scratching, but it's hell on the nerves!
guywan914
William, glad to see your teener naked. Was wondering how the media blast was going. Would love to come up and take a look, will give a call to the number listed to set up a time and get info on the blast company. My car was in to see Chris right after yours left so I'm a little behind your schedule but very interested in your progress. smilie_pokal.gif
914forme
"So why do they prime the body before doing body work?"

Rust abatement - but you can also apply filler over primer and then seal it into primer if you use the proper base primers. That zinc based primer that is shot onto this car will need several more coats, and you don't want to scratch it down to bare metal and shot normal primer in its place.

That epoxy based primer sticks to everything car, floor, walls, doors, flies, clothes, hands, and wedding bands! Finally got it of the wedding band after three months of picking at it.
joea9146
Looks great.... Good job
URY914
Its as if you've taken a worn out road warrior and turned her back to a sweet virgin.
(kinda profound don't ya think?)

You should be commened. beerchug.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.