Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine swap: 2.0 - 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GulleyGulley
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 3.2 for my 914-6. Car currently has a 2 liter original 6 in it with webers. This engine will be for sale later this winter. It's not original to the car (it was a 4 banger) so I'm not worried about authenticity. Couple of questions for those that have installed a 3.2

1) Can I use the flywheel & starter from the 2.0 (installing new clutch)
2) What mods need to be done to the stock tranny housing. Anyone have a picture
3) Keeping the stock oil cooler, lines, etc.
4) Running new fuel lines for supply & return
5) Any other "while I'm in there"
Cupomeat
A couple of thoughts regarding your conversion;

1) Can I use the flywheel & starter from the 2.0 (installing new clutch)
Not sure it fits (don't think it does), but if you are using the Motronic FI from the 3.2, you'll need the 3.2 one (see #2)

2) What mods need to be done to the stock tranny housing. Anyone have a picture
If you are keeping the Motronic FI, you'll need to cut a notch in the housing for the crank position sensor (Hall sensor that acts off the flywheel)

Ok, but I recommend getting a ducted front cooler as you'll need it with such a big engine.
sixaddict
Can answer some but Sir Andy has it all
Flywheel clutch is a big No......Kennedy engineering good source
cD box changes
Better consider aux oil cooler if you don't have on
If headers need bigger diameter
Assume Fuel injection not carbs
Haven't checked but most likely there are threads
May answer all questions and more
On trans it will work if you don't brutaliz it but heavier axle/cv joints may be good idea
Or some say leave stock and break cvs not transmissions evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Don't forget the tach. You'll need it with the 3.2 engine management system.

The Cap'n
GulleyGulley
Thanks!

- Forgot about the tach.
- Yes, planning on an additional cooler. I'm going to try & keep it in the back area. I don't want to modify the front trunk. Maybe in the front wheel well like on the 911's.
- Have a price request into in Kennedy
- Have the stock engine computer etc. with the new 3.2
MoveQik
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Dec 27 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Ok, but I recommend getting a ducted front cooler as you'll need it with such a big engine.

FWIW, I have the 3.2 in mine with the cooler under the rear trunk. Works fine even in our AZ heat. I didn't want to cut up the trunk if I didn't need to.
jim912928
Do a search on my screen name and you'll find my threads on wiring a 3.2 and running fuel lines front to back (you'll also need the 3.2l fuel pump). Need the 3.2l fly wheel but you'll need the conversion ring gear so the starter engages. The 914 parts places will sell you the conversion kits (Kennedy stuff). In one of my 3.2l threads I have a pick of the transmission cutout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.