Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking apart my first type 4 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Germancar-Junkie
I have had a 1.8 on a stand since February. Last week I got up the nerve to strip off the heat exchangers, engine tins, heads and a quarter inch thick coating of oil and dirt. Not to mention six generations of rodent bedding. So here I sit. Stumped. How do I get the dizzy out? And check out these pics. Are these cracks or casting wrinkles?
CG-914
Casting wrinkles!
But always get your case to a machine shop before assembly...
Krieger
There is one 13mm nut holding the distributor in. After removing it just pull the distributor straight up. There is a rubber seal on its body that is probably binding and making it difficult to remove.
walterolin
You might want to start with Tom Wilson's book: "How to Rebuild Your Air Cooled Volkswagen Engine".

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-a...s/dp/0895862255

Dave_Darling
I couldn't figure out how to move the distributor at all until I read through John Muir's VW "Idiot Book", which had nice illustrations and very specific words.

I don't have illustrations handy, so here's my try on the words:

Look around underneath the distributor. Sandwiched between it and the crankcase, you will find a clamp. This clamp is a flat piece of metal that goes around the distributor shaft and is bolted to the case. There is a very long nut that takes a 10mm wrench. I think it points toward the middle of the motor. You want to loosen that nut until you can twist the distributor body.

Once that is done, twist the distributor body, looking for a stud sticking straight out of the case with an M8 nut (13mm wrench) on it. You'll notice that the nut is holding a flat piece of metal to the case, and that metal disappears under the distributor body. The stud and nut should be closer to the crankcase parting line than the distributor is, and is partly hidden by the vacuum thingie (the "dashpot") on the side of the distributor.

Remove the nut and washer. You should then be able to twist and pull the distributor body out of the case. Just twist back and forth as you pull; the only thing holding the distributor in is the O-ring around the shaft.

--DD
Germancar-Junkie
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 29 2012, 01:43 AM) *

You should then be able to twist and pull the distributor body out of the case. Just twist back and forth as you pull; the only thing holding the distributor in is the O-ring around the shaft.

--DD

That's what I thought. I have read the VW book and I have read the Haynes manual. I am new to type 4's but not to engines in general. Being in a predominately "Chevy" garage I've pulled and set distributors multiple times. It takes a little muscle, but they pull straight out, no biggie. But this is different.

There's no movement at all. I can't twist it. I can't pull it. I've used a pry bar. I've hit it around pretty good with a dead blow hammer. It won't budge. hissyfit.gif It is possible this engine was stored outdoors for some time. Is it possible it is corroded so badly that it can never be removed??? sad.gif

Thanks in advance, Dawn
stugray
Did you loosen the adjustment screw and then removed the nut holding the plate down as Dave mentions above?

Does the engine still turn?

Stu
euro911
If the casting marks disturb you, a drill motor with a wire brush will eliminate them pretty good.

Post a pic of the dizzy.

Shoot some PB Blaster around the base of it, then try again.
JamesM
carefull with the hammer and pry bar, the case is weaker then you might expect. I havent had a distributor stick but I have had the drive gear stick in one that was left outside with no dizzy in it. After i split the case PB blaster and eventually a torch got it out.
Germancar-Junkie
PB Blaster is a wonderful thing! piratenanner.gif

Took a week of soaking and microscopic movement, but the dizzy is out.

drunk.gif

Anyone have a helpful hint for splitting the case??? blink.gif

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif ar15.gif

Thanks again, Dawn
bandjoey
Jake Raby sells a complete tear down and rebuild DVD.
stugray
Anyone have a helpful hint for splitting the case??

If it does not come apart easy then you missed at least one bolt.

There is a diagram around here that shows every single one.
(is the flywheel off?)
Stu
ConeDodger
Dawn,
There is a great forum on the site called the Lapuwali Classic Thread. You can find it by going to The 914 Forums and look down till you find it. It is named after a youngish guy who was fount of information and died of a brain aneurism at about 48... He knew so much. If he didn't know it he researched the heck out of it.

Anyway, Mark DeBernardi or McMark as you may know him wrote a very good thread on splitting the case. I will link it below so you don't have to seek it out...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50873

Good luck! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.