Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that the racing/ax season is over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I'm done for a few months so the car will assume its position on jack stands.
I plan on:

1. Pulling the engine
2. Adding bars to tie the shock towers to the main hoop.
3. Cutting the firewall out.
4. Cutting the passenger side floor out.
5. Replacing the targa bar with f/g.
6. Replacing the remaining steel in the rear quaterpanels with f/g.
7. Cut off the jack recievers
8. Cut out the sheet metal between the shock towers.
9. Clean up the fit of the body panels.

What's everyone use got planned?
If you post what you're going to do, we'll come back in 2-3 months and check everyones progress.

Paul
machina
I'm up on stands, but just until friday, and hey, my season is just starting. I got Moroso this weekend, a PBOC race at homestead in december and then january nationals if they let us regional guys run. driving.gif
ChrisFoley
I already pulled the engine, but the car is back on the ground for a while.
In additon to more power my winter upgrade plans include some oil system work and brake cooling work.
DNHunt
Going up soon.

New engine
Upgrade EFI to do ignition
Replace throttle cable
New seals in tranny and change Sweptco
Check and retorque suspension, lube zerk fittings.

Get it off the jackstands and tune it.

Dave
Part Pricer
Jackstands?? Not yet. We've got one more AX this coming weekend. It should be interesting. Forecast calls for temps in the upper 30's - low 40's and I've got no heat in the 914.

Where's that shivering smilely?
d914
new or redesigned fuel cell
pull engine and add some more bracing
clean her up
new fuel pump

otherwise good I hope!!
J P Stein
It isn't up on blocks yet, but the winter is young.

The approximate priority:

Add slicks, which means more flare in the rear.
Stiffer rear springs
Get a light weight battery & move it to the front trunk.
5 gallon fuel cell.

Wish list:

FG lids
LSD
Paint wacko.gif
mike_the_man
Yup, already on jack stands. I'm in the process of re-doing the front suspension right now. New ball joints, tie rods, bushings, and shocks.

After that is done, I'm hoping to:
strip out the interior
recover seats and door panels
strip tar off the floor boards
weld in an inner long stiffening kit

I'm also in the middle of gutting and remodeling my basement, so who knows how much car stuff will get done.
slivel
On jackstands. List of mods includes installing polybronze bushings front and rear from Elephant Racing, stacked springs (linear rate on top of progressive rate) on all four corners, realignment, 23mm master cylinder, new windshield, adjust valves, change oil and CLEAN the car.
Steve
drew365
No jackstands yet, we have one more event at Buttonwillow Dec. 4.
Paul; we connected the roll cage to the shock towers at all four corners with triangulation, then connected the rear shock towers to the trans mounts in the rear trunk, and connected that rear beam to the suspension ear under the car. I don't have pictures but if you're interested I'll take some. What are you going to do after you cut out the firewall?
URY914
QUOTE(drew365 @ Nov 9 2004, 08:27 AM)
What are you going to do after you cut out the firewall?

I'm going to run bars from the rear towers stright to the main hoops outside vertical bars. Than run diagonals from each shock tower to the diagonal of the main hoop. This would be over the engine. Than run a bar from the hoop diagonal to the front hoop.

Sorta hard to explain... sad.gif

The fire wall will be removal made from aluminum or f/g.

Paul
blabla914
Jackstands?? Not yet. We've got one more AX this coming weekend. It should be interesting. Forecast calls for temps in the upper 30's - low 40's and I've got no heat in the 914.

Where's that shivering smilely?

Where is there an autocross in CT this weekend?

Kelly
Part Pricer
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Nov 9 2004, 12:00 PM)
Where is there an autocross in CT this weekend?

Kelly

In Waterbury. The info is here:

http://fcscc.com/04schedule.htm
kermit
Over the weekend, just pulled off the worn stickies and put on the stock Fuchs with some 70-series tires. I think the car sits about 1.5 to 2 inches higher! Took off the race numbers and washed to car. Its now hibernating in the garage with a cover over it.

Sleep tight sweet Kermit. We'll play some more in the spring after daddy gets you a new set of shoes.
URY914
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Nov 9 2004, 07:51 AM)

I'm also in the middle of gutting and remodeling my basement, so who knows how much car stuff will get done.

I told my wife I was going to pull the engine out and her reply was,

"After you finish the kitchen, right?"

What would I do without her?
or should I say, What I COULD do without her... wub.gif

Paul
3d914
Not jack stands yet . . . driving.gif

You guys should come over to Phoenix. We're only into our 3rd AutoX for the season.

In fact we have a Drivers Ed coming up the 21st of Nov. at Firebird East.

Enjoy!
qa1142
UP LAST WEEKEND. LONG LIST TILL APRIL clap56.gif
nebreitling
jackstand season came early for me this year!

sad.gif

engine drop and replacement, with a case of W.I.I.T. (while i'm in there)...

it's alright, just a few more weeks and i should be back on the road. perfect for the rainy season! sad.gif
nynone4
Mine's been there since the beginning of October - for bodywork, subtle rear flares and a paint job.
roundboy914
Hey Nynone4,
Who are you having paint your car? I am on the SW suburbs, and am looking to have my 914 painted, and am looking for recomendations. And mine is on jackstands, with a small list of things to accomplisg this winter.
blabla914
[QUOTE]Where's that shivering smilely?

Tell me about it. I just got home from work. Kind of chilly for the no heat action.

Fairfield county. I always forget about those guys. My Victoracers are down to the cords, but maybe I'll come and run on my street tires. I'm already in mountain bike mode though since the last autocross I was at was 2 or 3 weeks ago. Judging by your post you'll be there?

Kelly
Jake Raby
Mine was down for the whole season....... Its sill at Mark's on Jackstands while he finishes my suspension.

The engine is just a few weeks awy from coming to life in version 2.0 for the 2316, this time its Hybrid head equipped!

If it don't make 195 ponies and rev to 8500 this time around, its coming apart till it does!

These heads are BITCHIN!
Dave-O
Jackstands come out over semester break.
-Resolve some fuel pressure issues
-Groove and regrease suspension bushings
-Fab adjustable drop links and rod ends for a 22mm front anti-roll bar.
-Instal a stock rear bar
-Do some interior stuff.
-Throw on some falkens in the spring.
-Get ready for the season driving.gif
-Pray the rest of the car hold together huh.gif

Here is the reason for the sways w00t.gif
spare time toys
Well it made it on and off stands a couple of times this year. biggrin.gif Now its back up on the dolly once more and its getting a new heart. Im heading to Cal. at Thanksgiving to pick up Sklines 928 and do an Alien conversion smilie_pokal.gif When I get it home and figure out a plan those carbs and old intakes wink.gif will be up for sale. Probably they will come with all of the 1.7 though.
crash914
Yep, you guessed it...on jack stands...although its been there all year....bummer sad.gif

It is ready to go with 2.7 big 4 power ohmy.gif

that is just as soon as I replace my rocker arm shaf*......
Trekkor
One more a/x on Nov 14th at Infineon.

After that:

Install SIX mueba.gif
Install 200# rear springs.
Repair some engine compartment rust. welder.gif
Put in sealed battery.
Experiment with homemade exhaust set-ups. cool.gif

KT
ottox914
lots of plans, weather permitting. Its getting colder up here every day... alot of this may be spring work-

200# springs (and mess with the front sway bar)
new battery
? wheels and/or stickies for the spair fuchs in the corner
kitcarlson efi (if/when its ready)
lower and corner balance (again)
try some new allignment settings (again)

whatever else catches my mind and wallet in the next 4-5 months...
Jake Raby
Kit Carlson is on the way- Trust me..

He and I both want plenty of test time and thorough understanding of it before it is sold simply so we can help much better with installs...
Elliot_Cannon
My car sat on jack stands for almost 2 years. I retire in 18 months and during that 18 months I plan on driving the crap out of it! When I retire I will be able to do a big project. I'd really like to convert to a 6. I'd like to do the conversion even if I have to (gulp) sell my 911 (gasp). It's also time to buy a welder and learn how to use it.

cheers, Elliot
ottox914
been trying to wait as patiently as possible- I've been in contact w/dave for over a year... this is worse than waiting for Santa... or spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.