Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Painting Carbon fiber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi guys,

I got a few "blank" carbon fiber bike parts that I would like to paint with color rite.com paint (red and clear).

Do I need a special primer, just like for plastic parts, or is it "just" prep, red and clear.

Thanks,
Dragan
wingnut86
PM Ruby914.

He's a CF pro...
ConeDodger
...and once you PM the person who knows, tell us all! It's a forum. Let's share the information!
ruby914
Hi Dragan,
I sand all the excess resin from CF, clean and paint directly with automotive clear coat.
Any excess resin will oxidize and get that dingy yellow look. If your painting it red you don't have to worry about the oxidation.
I was not familiar with color rite paint. I took a look at their site, they have a primer that should work fine. You don't need anything special but a good primer can't hurt.

Mike
draganc
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 3 2013, 12:20 AM) *

Hi Dragan,
I sand all the excess resin from CF, clean and paint directly with automotive clear coat.
Any excess resin will oxidize and get that dingy yellow look. If your painting it red you don't have to worry about the oxidation.
I was not familiar with color rite paint. I took a look at their site, they have a primer that should work fine. You don't need anything special but a good primer can't hurt.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm think of masking off "ducati" before applying the red and cover all with clear. I guess I'll just skip the primer. As in regards to colorrite, that's the only company I found that sells Ducati matching paint. Any suggestions about alternative sources?

Dragan
draganc
Ps: also thanks for the tip wignut86
ruby914
I presumed by "blank" CF parts you meant they were unfinished, to what extent I was not sure. It sounds like they may have come with a gloss over all including over "ducati"? Painting over any gloss surface you will need to scuff it up to give the paint bite.
Just as long as you prep well with a quality paint you should be OK with out primer.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.