Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Start of
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I thought since the holidays are over, maybe I should start a new project with the car. I haven't done much to it in about 8 years. So. I'm in for it now. I hope the long. and the jack pad look as good on the pax side. smile.gif
Ferg
Nice Post biggrin.gif

What wheels you gonna run as five lug?
bigkensteele
Is that an oil cooler in front of the muffler with the hose duct leading to it?

Sorry to go off-topic, just curious.
76-914
Oh God, poke.gif I worry when I see you with a screwdriver in your hand. Should I put EMS on alert. happy11.gif And Bill, yes that is ducted air from a NACA vent on his side valence. IIRC, He wrote about it in a remote oil cooler posts recently.
EdwardBlume
You of all people need a 914 on jackstands! Mach 0. lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 3 2013, 06:36 PM) *

Nice Post biggrin.gif

What wheels you gonna run as five lug?

These.
Spoke
What are you using for the 5-lug suspension?
Re-drilled rear hubs?
911 front end?
brant
good looking wheels!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2013, 07:34 AM) *

What are you using for the 5-lug suspension?
Re-drilled rear hubs?
911 front end?

911 front struts. 914/6 stub axles. Vented rotors.
MoveQik
You gonna have to pull the fenders a little?
Spoke
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 4 2013, 01:38 PM) *

Nice!

Vented rotors in the rear?

What year 911 front? 3 or 3.5inch calipers?

How wide are those wheels?

I just went through my 2nd 5-lug conversion. One of the most funnest upgrades. Takes our little cars further from being a NARP and closer to being a real Porsche. Plus the big boy wheels really look good on the car.
proto31
Nice Elliot! Good to know that you're working on your car. When does the Chalon kit arrive? Is it coming over with the V6 you're installing?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 4 2013, 12:14 PM) *

You gonna have to pull the fenders a little?

The steel fenders will be replaced with fb ones with GT flares.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(proto31 @ Jan 4 2013, 02:42 PM) *

Nice Elliot! Good to know that you're working on your car. When does the Chalon kit arrive? Is it coming over with the V6 you're installing?

I've always loved the look of the Chalon kit. Till I tracked down the maker of this kit and he agreed to make one for my car. I think $15,000 is a pretty good price installed. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2013, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 4 2013, 01:38 PM) *

Nice!

Vented rotors in the rear?

What year 911 front? 3 or 3.5inch calipers?

How wide are those wheels?

I just went through my 2nd 5-lug conversion. One of the most funnest upgrades. Takes our little cars further from being a NARP and closer to being a real Porsche. Plus the big boy wheels really look good on the car.

I'm not sure what year the front struts are from but the caliper mount bolt holes are 3 1/2 inches. The wheels are 7 1/2 and 10 X 17.
Elliot Cannon
Making a little more progress. I got the left rear trailing arm off and am replacing rear wheel bearings and "while I'm in there", trailing arm bushings. The old bushings came out really easy, compared to the original rubber ones I replaced about 10 years ago. biggrin.gif Probably get the left side installed before taking the right side apart. I find it easier to do it that way.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 9 2013, 06:01 PM) *

Making a little more progress. I got the left rear trailing arm off and am replacing rear wheel bearings and "while I'm in there", trailing arm bushings. The old bushings came out really easy, compared to the original rubber ones I replaced about 10 years ago. biggrin.gif Probably get the left side installed before taking the right side apart. I find it easier to do it that way.

Elliot, you may want to consider a more stable support for the car than that lawn chair under the muffler. beerchug.gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 9 2013, 10:07 PM) *

Elliot, you may want to consider a more stable support for the car than that lawn chair under the muffler. beerchug.gif

Ahahahahahaha lol-2.gif

Ken slap.gif
Eric_Shea
Elliot on the bench!

New 914-6/GT calipers loaded with Porterfield pads...

IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 9 2013, 07:07 PM) *

Beech chair and furniture dolly. My poor mans creeper. lol-2.gif Problem is when I recline it back there is a danger of... yellowsleep[1].gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2013, 04:10 PM) *

Beech chair and furniture dolly. My poor mans creeper. lol-2.gif Problem is when I recline it back there is a danger of... yellowsleep[1].gif

That is awesome! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Friggin Hilarious... where's the cup holder? confused24.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2013, 01:10 PM) *

That's fantastic! beer.gif If HF get's hold of that picture, they might just patent your idea out from under you and start selling a chair and dolly as a kit.
SUNAB914
Glad you posted this, I will be following your process for mine one day. If I ever get another car and get the wrecked one out of my garage.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 10 2013, 03:54 PM) *

Here. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Getting the left front side taken apart. So far, so, so-so. biggrin.gif Maybe some new tie-rods. Or at least some new boots.
Elliot Cannon
Nice to have the correct tools. I don't often use this but when I need it I really, really need it. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Elliot Cannon
These are off to the races. Or rather getting new races pressed in. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
These just came in the mail. Veeerrrry niiiiice. Thanks Eric.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 15 2013, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 10 2013, 03:54 PM) *

Here. biggrin.gif

Who does your nails? confused24.gif
euro911
If you fall asleep under a 914, you have Narpolepsy shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Good one Mark.

(notice how the pilot spells beach) biggrin.gif
Spoke
Nice rear calipers. Are these for vented rotors?
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 07:24 AM) *

Good one Mark.

(notice how the pilot spells beach) biggrin.gif

Yeah. It'd be a bad omen for the aircraft manufacturer to spell its name "Beachcraft"! biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 15 2013, 11:11 PM) *

If you fall asleep under a 914, you have Narpolepsy shades.gif

Hi! I'm Elliot and I'm a narpoleptic. smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2013, 09:50 AM) *

Si.

See...

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/9663436.htm
Spoke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2013, 09:50 AM) *

Si.

See...

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/9663436.htm

Thanks, those calipers look fantastic.

hijacked.gif

Eric,

So one can use 4.5mm spacer under the rotor (like I did) or spacers under the caliper ears?

If spacers under the caliper ears, will the rotor hit the rock shield?

Also does the rock shield bracket still go under the caliper ears or just use smaller spacers?

Sorry for the questions. I'm not satisfied with the centering of the rotors when using the spacer under the rotors. Even with the small hold-down screws, there is a lot of play in the rotor and I need to use my run-out gauge to properly center the rotor. It is very time consuming and if the screws loosen (there's no lock washers and I didn't use thread lock), the rotors will go out of center when the wheel is removed and will need adjusted.

There has to be a better way to mount the rotors. I like the idea of moving the calipers back vs. the spacer under the rotor.

Maybe we should take this topic off line.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2013, 08:50 AM) *

Yes.
Elliot Cannon
Someone said "necessity is the Mother of invention". And pressing my trailing arm bushings in was a "Mother"!! I had to "invent" a press with some wood blocks, large sockets, an 8 foot length of square tubing and my lift. It actually worked. lol-2.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 16 2013, 05:38 PM) *

Someone said "necessity is the Mother of invention". And pressing my trailing arm bushings in was a "Mother"!! I had to "invent" a press with some wood blocks, large sockets, an 8 foot length of square tubing and my lift. It actually worked. lol-2.gif

Nice! Usually the trailing arm flies across the garage a couple of times. biggrin.gif
euro911
Rube Goldberg laugh.gif

You do know HF sells 20 ton shop presses pretty cheap confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
I put the rear wheel bearing in the freezer for 6 hours. Slipped in like butta. This falls under, "nice to have the correct tools catagory". smash.gif laugh.gif If anyone on the west coast needs to borrow this puller/press, let me know. I've only used it three times in 9 years. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 16 2013, 06:05 PM) *

Rube Goldberg laugh.gif

You do know HF sells 20 ton shop presses pretty cheap confused24.gif

They're nice but how often would I use it? confused24.gif Besides my garage is 17'X17'.
Eric_Shea
More often than the bearing puller... wink.gif

Falls into the "nice to have the correct tool" category. lol3.gif
euro911
If you do buy one, I'll store it for you happy11.gif

I see a couple of tools there I'd like to borrow when the time comes biggrin.gif ... I want to rebuild both 914 suspensions ('71 & '75).

Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
Per usual, I like your style - buy some cool wheels then build the car around them biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Starting to put it all back toether. The arthritis in my hands is killing me. Who's idea was this anyway? confused24.gif happy11.gif
KaptKaos
IPB Image

Elliyut - you have the same rear shocks that I have. Have you ever adjusted the height on them?
euro911
It's been in the low 80's down here, great for arthritic hands ...

... and knees, and ... ...

Looks like you'll have that done in no time thumb3d.gif

Going with screw-in rear studs?

What finish did Erc apply to your calipers confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
I'll be pressing in wheel lugs. I'm not quite sure what length yet. My "S" calipers are beiing anodized. I'm waiting on front calipers and rear rotors. In the mean time I gotta start thinking about cutting my fenders off. Yikes!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.