Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY SIX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sixnotfour
I bought it in 1978, did a bunch of preservative measures, Had a 2.4 with S pistons and solex cams built, by Ralph Meaney, Drove the crap out of it and then one night...new wife, hates my junker, I sell it to a friend, He does nothing to it, Flash Forward last year I did a Turbo engine , and his wife insists I take that 914...OK so still in my name title never even signed, Its back at my house..
I ruined my moms garden sprayer spraying Imron Irish green in the cavity's and even drilled 1.0 holes for access, behind the seats and every other box, after scraping the floors and not so hell hole.

Originally from Steamboat Springs Colorado
scotty b
beerchug.gif I think you just got a winning lottery ticket smile.gif Cool story. Good thing you did all that work back then eh ?
Tom_T
Wow! Great job on the rust prevention, as shown today! first.gif

Did your Mom ever forgive you? biggrin.gif
Tom
Jeff,
You gotta be a happy fellow! biggrin.gif
Tom
effutuo101
Sweet! We all talk about the car we never should have sold...
sixnotfour
The motor and trans I put in another 914 and still have the combo,
trans is number matching, The 2.0 I put in a friends 911, I don't give a shit about it. Last I saw it was froze full of water...but its out there somewhere..
ConeDodger
That is so cool Jeff! aktion035.gif
JmuRiz
Wow, great looking car, 2.4 with s cams sounds like a blast in a lightweight 914 biggrin.gif

The reminds me I need to PM you about something we talked about a year ago too...
bcheney
Great story! Cool ride!!
Socalandy
biggrin.gif Awesome Jeff but I think we need more pictures of the car, floor pan and engine compartment only confused24.gif
KELTY360
Nice, but the color? Didn't know you liked green cars. shades.gif
aircooledtechguy
Way to go Jeff!! Doing things right the first time pays off again.

So,. . . just how many -6s are you legally able to own at one time?? I think you are over your limit biggrin.gif

Congrats!!
PlaysWithCars
So cool! The one that got away... didn't.

We need more pictures!!
sixnotfour
smile.gif
Cairo94507
Irish Green wub.gif Though I am sure my car will be Light Ivory, Irish Green is always in the back of my mind....
sixnotfour
It needs these pieces , plus left rear quarter panel.
The storage keeper, sold the front hood. no biggy.
rhodyguy
lot's-o-NOS.

k
Gint
Nice car! Who's that skinny kid?
MoveQik
You should put 7's on it. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Will Do ... 1 inch makes a diff, ask around

I am also wondering where the oil tank and relay board went: chair.gif

planning on 3 trips to the frame rack, driving to and from aktion035.gif
NORD

So,. . . just how many -6s are you legally able to own at one time?? I think you are over your limit biggrin.gif

This is the Evergreen State. I think if they all green there is no limit.

sixnotfour
The left front was wrecked when I bought it, but repaired, and new paint on the whole 914, Well, first things first to right a wrong I knew existed ,since I bought it in 1978.
Luckily they did such a bad job, that the OG parts they used could be salvaged as new parts, recycled.
A few spot brazing blobs and a paint job barf.gif

I knew it when I bought it, and spent a bit of time with a torch and hammers, chisels and various tools when 18 to sorta make it right in appearance in the trunk.
pretty much in vain.. sheeplove.gif

fast forward, dissection, Heat braze remove new parts, blast and spray spies hecker primer, hammer, and drill out spot welds, notice the remanants of the factory smashed bits blink.gif Good reference point though.. I hate brass beer.gif But it did save the replaced parts that were badly installed. first.gif
sixnotfour
I could not save the new replacement fender as it was poorly spliced on top of the remanents of the OG fender.. blink.gif
more brass...yay
r_towle
Really exciting find, good luck with this one
McMark
ar15.gif Brass

barf.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 1 2013, 11:34 PM) *

ar15.gif Brass

barf.gif

Ya dry.gif I'm just finishing up on a 280 SL that was completely destroyed with brass. Every panel. Ruined.
sixnotfour
After much thought, beer3.gif I decided that I didn't have the elbow to bang this shit out, So I pulled from the archives a left front corner from an Irish Green six, that was totaled and was a GM test car, that may been a pace car, that the last owner had restored and crashed very badly, any how, Sectioning has been done. Also, my NOS right front fender, Does Not Fit, It appears to be a very early fender with the weird profile at the cowl... icon8.gif Maybe I should have spliced the fender ??
Na, glad to have a full fender replacement... A little mod necessary, but still NOS
full front fender.. wub.gif oh and its Euro, no side marker holes.. chowtime.gif
The front 6 inches appears to be pushed down about 8mm. I will tack it all together until it gets straight.

Don't get me wrong, Lots of grinding and fitting left to do...

sixnotfour
beer.gif
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
blink.gif
sixnotfour
The six was Irish green / metallic blue and was purchased and painted the bright blue that was wrecked was for sale in excellence as X GM test car ?????
I bought the front clip and various pieces from Chicago Auto Werkes in 199???something.
sixnotfour
smile.gif
sixnotfour
The fender and the front corner are going down to get stripped chemically,
For a glimpse of the next part of the story, I cant believe how rust free this six is.............
Telephone Pole meet Mister Sixxxxxxx..

I think we can save the outer long and threshold, but will need a new inner long as it did all the folding.
sixnotfour
On its way to get many pulls... idea.gif popcorn[1].gifscrewy.gif smash.gif sheeplove.gif sawzall-smiley.gif wacko.gif welder.gif
gms
Jeff it is good to see you saving this one, it is too nice.
effutuo101
As always Jeff. Excellent work! wub.gif
sixnotfour
Made it to the shop, will get started in a week or so, I have to get to Utah...
rhodyguy
mark's shop or the one in renton?
sixnotfour
snohomish, secret squirrel
rhodyguy
"secret squirrel". is that code or the name of the biz?
sixnotfour
No he does his own insurance buys and sells...
sixnotfour
Well, that didn't work out...travel time, he got busy, car off and on the rack...
Fuch It..bought this...

Swiss made
sixnotfour
914 the door opening was almost one inch short from embracing a telephone pole..

edit; the door opening
sixnotfour
Inner long cut out, trying to pull floor straight..
The burn line on the floor is how far the inner long folded in, It is burnt from plasma cutting to remove the damaged inner long.
sixnotfour
After a lot of pulling here and there..
Hasn't had a right door in 30 years.. closer beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
Next step the cowl section is still pushed over..
sixnotfour
before inner
rick 918-S
Nice score on the Caroliner and Unic! I had one of those Unic lifts when I had my shop. It works awesome!

I wanted to be sure you were thinking about all aspects of this repair before starting to weld it back together. Cowl hits are often misdiagnosed. Because of the unit body the damage will travel through the car causing it to banana or form an arch. It will shorten the wheel base on one side. Just pulling out in the area of damage will not be enough to get the front back in place. a front pull is needed to help with with the stress of the trapped damage. Special attention needs to be paid when checking the center line of the car before, during and after as the car will tend to want to spring back.

You may want to make up some fixtures to hold the cars center line and suspension track before you start to weld. Here is a quick 2 dimensional sketch to show what happens to a unitized chassis when it is side hit. Remember this banana effect carries through on all plains.
sixnotfour
Richs thanks, that is why , I pulled the lower first, it hinged on the top a bit, There was an impact with the pole right there cause the crunch area. also the windshield frame is square, but the lower is turned inward towards the back..I am making something to get behind the pinchweld at the base and will pull there should on roll the frame and start easing the creases in the gas tank area.
A little pull, a little hammer, a little pull, a little hammer..

Also , the car still has two major hits to work out so right now Im going for panel fit and major aesthetics, after the others are to that level , I am being careful not to over pull. I will get down to every other dimension. I am going to brace it. and move to the next impact.
not do any assembly welding until that point..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.