Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lightweight battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Has anyone used a lightweight battery in the stock location? Which one did you choose? Any mounting tips?

I was thinking of one of these:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/extremespecs.html

-Steve
carr914
I had one mounted in the Rear Trunk - no problems
ConeDodger
I used the extreme 20. It lasted about two years each time (I had two). I got a SS mount and put it in the stock location. I've got the mount around here somewhere...
I have their #35 / -pc 925 in my 996 for the past 3 months hooked up to a trickle charger...so far no concerns.
hotlanta914
I am using their PC 925 MJT - weighs in at 24 lbs. I purchased a plastic hold down strap that came with 2 J bolts, wing nuts and washers from Odyssey as well - the set-up seems to work well
MrLeeS
QUOTE(hotlanta914 @ Jan 6 2013, 09:41 PM) *

I am using their PC 925 MJT - weighs in at 24 lbs. I purchased a plastic hold down strap that came with 2 J bolts, wing nuts and washers from Odyssey as well - the set-up seems to work well

I've run a pc680 for years. Similar to the extreme 25 in dimensions. Haven't had any problems in a daily driver. Never stranded me. I've installed a couple in -6 and -4 track cars. No issues with those either. I would recommend using a trickle charger on cars less frequently driven to guard against parasitic drains. Once you kill them dead they are hard to recover.
mskala
Solution I had for the PC680 (don't know what that equates to in your
pdf) was to get their mount, make a plate the exact size of the
bottom of the stock tray and screw them together, battery lays on its
side. Plate is held down by the stock screw and by the tabs on the
other side.

stugray
I am using the Braille light weight race battery.
Its dimensions are perfect to lay the battery down on it's side (sealed Battery so that is OK), and use a modified hold down bracket and you do not need to modify the stock battery tray.

I have not used the battery yet (race car), but it fits perfectly in the stock location.

Stu
hotlanta914
This my set-up
Woody
I'm running a Braille 9 pound on its side in the stock location. It likes a maintainer capable of AGM batteries if left for a few weeks. Hasn't failed to start yet.
siverson
Thanks for the tips!
mtndawg
QUOTE(hotlanta914 @ Jan 7 2013, 02:38 PM) *

This my set-up

This looks nice. Why would you want the kill switch on the positive side of the battery? Doesn't it normally go on the negative side?
siverson
Hmmm, so my "new" battery came, but the manufacture date is almost 2 years ago. That's strange, isn't it?

-Steve
wndsrfr
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 20 2013, 11:26 AM) *

Hmmm, so my "new" battery came, but the manufacture date is almost 2 years ago. That's strange, isn't it?

-Steve

They claim a shelf life of 10 years along with other mil spec items....

I just ordered a PC680 from a distributor in Winchester, VA....will be interesting to see the manufacture date--should be here tomorrow.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 20 2013, 11:26 AM) *

-Steve

OK...got mine today, a pc650 with "1212" on the label.....guess that means December...I'll try too attach a pic....got it from "Battery Mart" & it was shipped from Winchester, Va.

mskala
I just got one from ebay seller advantagebatt2. PC680. Looks current.
My old one is not even showing any signs of problems yet but want
to avoid downtime.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.