Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are 911T and 914/6 front struts the same thing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I have a set of struts sold to me as 911T struts. But mrHyde pointed out to me that they are a 914/6 number.
So were Boge part # 914 341 091 struts used on 911T's?

I have everything for this conversion, but I'm going to have to buy new balljoints
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2013, 08:30 AM) *

I have a set of struts sold to me as 911T struts. But mrHyde pointed out to me that they are a 914/6 number.

I have everything for this conversion, but I'm going to have to buy new balljoints

That's not a good number. If they take the early ball joints, I'd look for later struts. If the early ones aren't worn out now, they will be soon.

The Cap'n
toolguy
Yes, that is a good part number. 914-341-091-00 . it is for the left side on an 914-6. . and -092-00 is for the right side . and they were Boge. . . if it ended in a -34 then it was a Bilstein and was optional for 4 cylinder cars. . . but only the -00 was listed as available for sixs. .

AFAIK, it is the same "M" strut as the "T" strut but that carried a 911 part number. . they both used the small 3 inch 911T calipers. .

For 1970, they both had the pinch bolt for the ball joint . . . Later struts had the wedge pin. .
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 8 2013, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2013, 08:30 AM) *

That's not a good number. If they take the early ball joints, I'd look for later struts. If the early ones aren't worn out now, they will be soon.

The Cap'n

Are early ball joints bad? or the struts (which look good)?
I know I would have to change the BJ's, but even though the old ones (1974, 75k miles in good condition) seem OK they could be the originals.

I'm using the aluminium Brembo's with the 3" spacing.

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Yes, that is a good part number. 914-341-091-00 . it is for the left side on an 914-6. . and -092-00 is for the right side . and they were Boge. . . if it ended in a -34 then it was a Bilstein and was optional for 4 cylinder cars. . . but only the -00 was listed as available for sixs. .

AFAIK, it is the same "M" strut as the "T" strut but that carried a 911 part number. . they both used the small 3 inch 911T calipers. .

For 1970, they both had the pinch bolt for the ball joint . . . Later struts had the wedge pin. .

Yes 914-341-091-00 and 914-341-092-00
Eric_Shea
No... Early balljoints aren't bad.

There have been instances where the bottom has ovaled out. I've "never" seen this first hand and, if installed properly would be pretty damn hard to do.

For some reason (an old article in Pano) they continue to get a bad rap.

To answer the question; they are the same but they don't have the same part number for some reason. Suspensions were installed as a complete units in 911s and 914s. I'm guessing the strut part number may have had something to do with the unit being loaded with 17mm torsion bars.
sixnotfour
wedge bolt style cheaper manufacture
Mark Henry
Thanks Eric,
Now I have another question Boge struts and I have Bilstein shocks.

I can't see the part number on the '74 struts on my teen, IIRC it had Boge shocks originally, but it has been 10 years since I put the old stock bilstein's in.

They are the Bilstein's with the huge chrome shafts and though they had a different cap they fit in no problem.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2013, 10:37 AM) *

Well, without the "00" it's not a good number ........................

As for the ball joint attachment method, I had, before I closed up shop, a largish pile of worn out early struts. In some cases, the ball joints were bad, as well, but mostly the strut bases were just enlarged to the point the ball joint was no longer tight in the receptacle. Bad news.

BTW, for those folks who need a pair of early 911 struts for small brakes, I have a nice pair here that are "excess to my needs".

The Cap'n
MDG
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2013, 03:31 PM) *

Thanks Eric,

I can't see the part number on the '74 struts on my teen, IIRC it had Boge shocks originally, but it has been 10 years since I put the old stock bilstein's in.

They are the Bilstein's with the huge chrome shafts and though they had a different cap they fit in no problem.

I have Bilstein's in Boge struts. I just bought the ones deisgned to fit those struts. I could be wrong but . . . the Bilsteins designed for the Boge strut fit in them. The ones not designed specifically for Boge won't fit.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 8 2013, 02:46 PM) *

No... Early balljoints aren't bad.

There have been instances where the bottom has ovaled out. I've "never" seen this first hand and, if installed properly would be pretty damn hard to do.

For some reason (an old article in Pano) they continue to get a bad rap.

To answer the question; they are the same but they don't have the same part number for some reason. Suspensions were installed as a complete units in 911s and 914s. I'm guessing the strut part number may have had something to do with the unit being loaded with 17mm torsion bars.

Checked the BJ mounting hole and it looks real good, not beat out, round and only a few thousands difference between top and bottom of the bore. they are real clean struts, I think I'm good.

QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 8 2013, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2013, 03:31 PM) *

Thanks Eric,

I have Bilstein's in Boge struts. I just bought the ones deisgned to fit those struts. I could be wrong but . . . the Bilsteins designed for the Boge strut fit in them. The ones not designed specifically for Boge won't fit.

I think that's what I have as well. wink.gif
sixnotfour
Bils' should go in and tighten up fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.