914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Seems reasonable for $1500.00

Www.drdracingheads.com

Supposedly no case modifications.
ConeDodger
Didjoo blow up again??? blink.gif
Dave_Darling
Seems totally UNreasonable to me. $1500 for a whole engine stroker kit? You can't build a stock motor for that little!!

I'm throwing the BS flag on this...

--DD
wndsnd
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2013, 10:18 PM) *

I don't have a stinkng engine! hissyfit.gif
nsr-jamie
I didn't check the link you provided but that sounds too cheap...though it could be very poorly made Chinese made parts...they are flooding the market here in Japan with cheaply made Honda motorcycle parts (less than 70 percent cheaper than OEM in some cases)...the price is super low and so is the quality.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2013, 10:21 PM) *

Seems totally UNreasonable to me. $1500 for a whole engine stroker kit? You can't build a stock motor for that little!!

I'm throwing the BS flag on this...

--DD

You would think I would be the jaded one av-943.gif

gtsdls
Did anyone actually look at the DRD web page and the details provided? Kit is crank, P&C's, rods. It is not a "full" kit. Appear to be Chinese QC'd parts based on description/disclosures.
wndsnd
QUOTE(gtsdls @ Jan 8 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Did anyone actually look at the DRD web page and the details provided? Kit is crank, P&C's, rods. It is not a "full" kit. Appear to be Chinese QC'd parts based on description/disclosures.

Bearings too....I was more interested to see if it really does fit a std case without mods.
aircooledtechguy
Well, the engine kit you're refering to is only comprised of a cranc, rodsand a P&C set, so that's hardley what I would consider a "kit". You would still need head$, cam, gear and lifters, pushrods and rocker assemblies, etc. Once you pay for that kit, count on another $3500 to finish off the parts needed and you'll be pretty close to having everything.

Going big is not cheap!!
wndsnd
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 8 2013, 11:14 PM) *

Well, the engine kit you're refering to is only comprised of a cranc, rodsand a P&C set, so that's hardley what I would consider a "kit". You would still need head$, cam, gear and lifters, pushrods and rocker assemblies, etc. Once you pay for that kit, count on another $3500 to finish off the parts needed and you'll be pretty close to having everything.

Going big is not cheap!!

Right but wouldn't that be the same for a 2056 and this is 2316!
rhodyguy
has anyone in the santa anna area familiar with this outfit? as it's an "industry leader", strange i've/we've never heard of it before. add heads, ign, carbs/a.m. fi, linkage, case, disposables, etc, you'll be @5k when the dust settles. that's parts.
JamesM
From what I recall DRD heads are big with the type 1 guys. One of the best. I believe jake used to get some heads from him as well but turnaround was to slow. I have been watching that site for a couple years now thinking about a rebuild. Looks like he has added quite a bit to it recently. Also looks like he is pushing the 914 angle more, maybe because jake has backed away from us a bit.

The components looks like pretty standard stuff. Cant do much better then KB or JE pistons and he offers either. Have not heard much about people using AA cranks.

$1200 - $1700 for NEW CNC ported heads, 2500 - 2800 for 2L seems to be a similar offering to what else is out there but at a much better price. Slow turnaround might be worth it for someone who is not in the business for producing engines.
DBCooper
Excellent reputation in the T1 community, except for the slow turnarounds.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2013, 10:18 PM) *

I think you're referring to wndsrfr.
KaptKaos
Interesting.

Too bad their website is nearly unreadable.
Valy
The kit is missing the cylinder spacers. You will probably need about 1/2" of spacing, depending on the piston height.
Otherwise, the price seems OK. You can check the individual parts prices for the same parts here:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/kokoparts/m.html
This guy also sells on thesamba without the ebay commissions.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/sea...itButton=Search
tscrihfield
I can speak to this..Darren @ DRD did my 2 liter heads. They are great quality, but we're slow. He is a one man band and that is why he is slow. But if you got time to wait, while its on Jackstands and want quality work... Go for it. He does great work. As far as engines go. FAT is a great place to look. Plus those guys are great to work with and do superior work. I think they have more wins with aircooled engines than any aftermarket engine builder. They do good work for good prices.

Thomas
brant
I hear a ton of concerning things about the FAT motors
I have seen more than a few of them ventilated (blown)
good to hear some are having better experiences..
I am afraid of them.

wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 8 2013, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 8 2013, 11:14 PM) *

Going big is not cheap!!

Right but wouldn't that be the same for a 2056 and this is 2316!

My 2316 is on its third crank in the two years that I've had it. The first one was provided in Jake's kit--it was a DPR QC'd by Jake and I spotted hairline cracks on it during a teardown to bump up the Compression Ratio. I sourced the second one directly from DPR after talking to Jose--turned out to be a mistake since it cracked big time last fall. So much for using the welded up VW cranks at least to the 80mm stroke for the 2316. The oil galleys simply end up too close to the journal interface with the web of the throws.
Soo....I talked to DRD and FAT about the new forgings they supply. As I understand it, FAT developed the Taiwanese supplier like 20 years ago and is getting very good quality from them. I think DRD is supplying the exact same piece from the common warehouse that FAT has. I'm going to bet that EMW also is sourcing the same part as well....they all show it as $550 to $625 in price. I went with Greg at FAT as he also doweled the crank to the flywheel (5 dowels!)
I've gone to JE pistons after exploding a KB into shrapnel...so far, so good.
Not sure what cylinders DRD is supplying--I got a set of Chinese ones from EMW for $50 a pop, but didn't like how they looked so went with boring out a set of "seasoned" 1.8 cylinders & feel more comfortable with them.
Now, if you're building a 2316, you need it to breathe really, really well. This takes Len Hoffman's heads or the equivalent, the right cam and Chris's Tangerine headers or equivalent. And add SDS injection & good sized throttle bodies & you're ready to go! It adds up.....but, when you roll into it, the push in your back and the sound will put a grin on your face that you can't wipe off with a fistful of $100 bills! aktion035.gif driving.gif
wndsnd
Sounds like a nice set-up. but you change cranks like I change undies!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 9 2013, 07:26 PM) *

EGADS! Only once a year?? Yikes! I need to stay upwind of you... lol-2.gif
McMark
agree.gif bout KB vs JE pistons. Don't build a big four with KB (IMHO).
wndsnd
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 10 2013, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 9 2013, 07:26 PM) *

EGADS! Only once a year?? Yikes! I need to stay upwind of you... lol-2.gif

stromberg.gif

Well, maybe twice a year biggrin.gif
MrHyde
Well... I guess we shall see how well my 2316 with a nitrided welded crank and KB pistons work when I get it put together.. smile.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Jan 10 2013, 03:12 PM) *

Well... I guess we shall see how well my 2316 with a nitrided welded crank and KB pistons work when I get it put together.. smile.gif

It'll work great....I'm the culprit on blowing the piston....bought the car and two weeks later took it to a 3 day DE event at VIR and ran it mercilessly without first doing the proper A/F ratio mapping on the SDS injection system. Result was detonation from running lean.....
If you're primarily doing street driving you won't have any problems....be sure to install a good wideband A/F guage & be sure you're properly rich....12.5 to 13.0 at WOT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.