Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aero mirror install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteyd
My car is currently at the body shop, and they guys just finished putting on the mirrors. The passenger side looks good, but the driver side looks like it points too high.

I bought the kit direct from Porsche, so they should be all the correct parts. We did notice that the base the driver mirror sits on is taller than the passenger.

Is this normal?

What have you guys seen in the past? Is there possibly another base that is smaller for the drvr side?

Click to view attachment

peteyd
the passenger side, not as clear of a picture, but you can tell the angles are different

Click to view attachment
DBCooper
I don't know about those mirrors, but people have to shape the bottom of the flag mirrors to fit the profile of the 914 doors. You say the driver's side is "mounted higher", so it would be going up the curve into the top part of the door, tilting it like that. Maybe try shaping the base so it tilts further out... better than re-mounting it in the same lower position as the passenger side.
rjames
I've never liked anything but a stock mirror on the 914. To me everything else looks a little off. confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
They don't mount symmetrically... sad.gif

IPB Image
peteyd
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 9 2013, 05:56 PM) *

They don't mount symmetrically... sad.gif

IPB Image

these mirrors dont look like they are at such an extreme angle as mine though...

Does anyone have first hand experience installing these on their 914?

This was a 964...part number if that makes any difference also.

Thanks,

Pete
Mike Bellis
You need to lower the drivers mirror. Move it down on the door towards the ground. This will level out the top.

From your pic, I would guess it needs to move down 1 inch or so.
Mikey914
I had 928 mirrors on my old car. I thought they were 944 untl I went to replace the base gasket and found out it was the 928 base.
carr914
I don't think either one of your Aeros are mounted correctly

You definately have to machine down the Bases of these or Flags to fit correctly
DBCooper
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 10 2013, 07:25 AM) *

You need to lower the drivers mirror. Move it down on the door towards the ground. This will level out the top.

From your pic, I would guess it needs to move down 1 inch or so.

Yeah, but don't re-drill mounting holes. Do what T.C. suggests, re-shape the mirror bases so you get the angle you want with the mirrors in the same mounting holes they're already in.

peteyd
Ok,

I will reshape the bases. I dont plan on changing the passenger side because it looks fine to me, but the driver side needs attention.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Pete
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 9 2013, 09:36 AM) *
I bought the kit direct from Porsche, so they should be all the correct parts.

There are no "correct parts" for this mod. Fitting these will be just like fitting aftermarket mirrors that were designed for some other car. Adjustment, fitting, trimming, possibly shimming, and more modifications may all be required.

Figure out how to make it work, and don't sweat having to alter the parts. Because they're not the "right" ones anyway. smile.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.