IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

( cats not included )

KT
Gint
A thousand bucks?
Cairo94507
The welded over number should scare people away. There is only one reason I can think of someone would do that and it is not good. Shame - maybe that was my missing case..... sad.gif
wndsrfr
Clearly the cat on the left did it...... popcorn[1].gif
Trekkor
I am selling a large number of parts from other peoples collections on consignment.

I do not have the history on this piece.

A reputable Porsche machinist in the Bay Area said 914-6 case's are worth $3k, so I figured $1000 would be fair.

Feel free to "tune me up" on this.

KT
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 11 2013, 11:04 AM) *

I am selling a large number of parts from other peoples collections on consignment.

I do not have the history on this piece.

A reputable Porsche machinist in the Bay Area said 914-6 case's are worth $3k, so I figured $1000 would be fair.

Feel free to "tune me up" on this.

KT

Hey KT,

So you get a bit of perspective on prices, I just purchased a 71 914/6 case on this forum for $200. Luke (Luke M) also has listed the following: "914-6 engine short block ser # * 6405500 * No history but turns over by hand : $900.00." There is another member on this forum who has a 914/6 long block listed for 1K. I'm not sure (IMHO) any perspective buyer will want to buy a case where the serial number has been masked/removed, at any price. But again, just my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Greg
Gint
I think you can buy core long blocks for less than 1k. And no serial number would be a deduct.
sixnotfour
good luck
Trekkor
These early cases have value.

I've sold two a few years back for $1k each.

I'm open to offers.

KT
sixnotfour
Aluminum early cases= Yes

Ask Elliott about monkey with serial numbers on engines in CA.

Sorry pig in the poke
Trekkor
I'll call the CHP and ask about this right now...

KT
Trekkor
Office closed at 5:00pm.

KT
Trekkor
This form may be required:

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

With my SIX conversion, I don't think you can see the engine number with the motor in the car...

KT
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 11 2013, 08:06 PM) *

This form may be required:

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

With my SIX conversion, I don't think you can see the engine number with the motor in the car...

KT

914 6 engine number removed, .....but I see other numbers added on the fan housing support ! ...... maybe to sell a 911 as a number matching car ?
welding a magnesium case is not a "shade tree " skill .... hmmmmm
it is a 6 case, did they add an "engine type" designation near the fan support ?
Trekkor
Good eye!

On the fan support is "LACAVA" stamped ?!?
no numbers~

KT
sixnotfour
Hope fully that makes it legit, still good for a 2.0.
Gint
So it is aluminum or mag?
Trekkor
How do I tell the difference?
Appears to be mag.

KT
sixnotfour
its mag
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 12 2013, 08:25 PM) *

its mag

magnesium is always cloudy grey and smoother aluminum is more silver in color
if in doubt file a bit off and light the particles with a torch if it sparkles and burns a bit it's mag
Trekkor
I just got off the phone with a CHP officer.
Explained the situation.

They don't check engine numbers on cars.
The engine number on ALL cars is not included on the title.

Because the number is missing, it cannot be ID'd as belonging to anyone or any specific car.

They said not to worry about it.

This is just a good core case for an engine build of your choice.

KT
Luke M
Hey KT,

So you get a bit of perspective on prices, I just purchased a 71 914/6 case on this forum for $200. Luke (Luke M) also has listed the following: "914-6 engine short block ser # * 6405500 * No history but turns over by hand : $900.00."

I was selling this engine but it's no longer for sale . I know where the car that this engine/trans belongs to and I'm working on buying it. So for now I'll hang onto it just in case.

As for the ser # problem here in NY , I know for sure if there's a ser # issue it will be investigated by a law enforcement official . Now does it happen all the time probably not but could it.... Yes would be the right answer.
With that said different states have different laws on this.

If you called your local law enforcement agency and they said n/p then make sure you get there info (name/rank/dept.) As some people don't have a clue on this ... again trust me on this.

I do not want to discourage anyone from buying this engine case cause that's not my intent. I just want you to be aware and knowledgeable on this.

Best of luck on your sale.

Luke

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.