Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mittelmotor gearstack build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I love rebuilding gear stacks. They are cleaner, cheaper, and faster to do. This one arrived this afternoon for a disassemble, inspect, repair and gearing change. On the surface all of the parts looked to be in great shape.....after parting it I found a busted main bearing and two broken thrust blocks.

Note the sectioned ball retainer. No-go.
Click to view attachment

Note the intact block on the right and the two broken ones.
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
UGH !!!
Black22
blink.gif WOW! No wonder my 1911 was faster than his LS1 on our New Years run!!! av-943.gif

Glad your fixing it up for him! aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
Ya, the blocks being broke would make shifting suck. The new gearing ought to wake the car up smile.gif
mrbubblehead
With the new gears and bearing should the pinion depth be reset?
Dr Evil
Compensation for any thickness differences between the replacement gear and the original one need to be compensated for. However, there is almost always only negligible differences and this needs no compensation. If compensation is needed, you can either add to the gasket the difference you calculate, or mess with pinion shims. No need to get crazy with fully resetting.
Woody
The thrust blocks are only broke on one side. Cant you just turn them over?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 12 2013, 08:43 PM) *

Compensation for any thickness differences between the replacement gear and the original one need to be compensated for. However, there is almost always only negligible differences and this needs no compensation. If compensation is needed, you can either add to the gasket the difference you calculate, or mess with pinion shims. No need to get crazy with fully resetting.

Gotcha, i'm trying to learn all I can.
Spoke
The main bearing in my sideshift was also busted when you rebuilt it.

The Evil rebuilt trans still shifts like brand new. smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 12 2013, 11:49 PM) *

The thrust blocks are only broke on one side. Cant you just turn them over?

We need a facepalm smiley for these people dry.gif

No, Woodrow. Now take your meds.
oldschool
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 12 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Gotcha, i'm trying to learn all I can.

Man keep learning, We can use a good tranny guy on our side.(so ca.) aktion035.gif
mittelmotor
Cool! People have always said that I'm "special" ( I try to take that as a compliment) and it looks like it extends to my transaxle as well! Can't wait to get it back. piratenanner.gif

Might the broken blocks have hindered the 2-3 shift? It was odd...it would make the shift just fine at low to medium revs, but refuse to engage at higher revs.

--Doug
Dr Evil
Nope. One of the blocks was in 1st and I forget which the other was in. Probably 2, 3, 4, or 5. biggrin.gif
mittelmotor
But if the other broken block was in 2nd or 3rd gear, couldn't it mess up the 2-3 shift? I should note that even though I was able to pull the gearstack, my understanding of the inner workings is a little fuzzy. Maybe too much beer3.gif consumed when watching your video. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Yes, this could account for poor shifting.
mrbubblehead

That is assuming that the pinion depth was correct to begin with right? Shouldn't that be confirmed?
Dr Evil
No. No need to confirm, unless you have the expensive tools to do so, the time, the know how, and a reason.
Dr Evil
And the finished product before packing and shipping biggrin.gif
mittelmotor
Thing of beauty, Mike! pray.gif
Can't wait to plug it back in and go for a drive. piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Did those HBs look pretty good to you?
Black22
cheer.gif aktion035.gif
You will be happy mittelmotor! Now maybe you'll be able to keep up with my 1911! poke.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jan 19 2013, 08:11 PM) *

cheer.gif aktion035.gif
You will be happy mittelmotor! Now maybe you'll be able to keep up with my 1911! poke.gif

Race ya for pinks! smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
All gears looked fine, otherwise I would not have used them tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.