Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp sending unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
K9Torro
I just bought a factory three gage appearance group console from someone on EPay, do I need to get a VDO oil temp sending unit to make the gage work or is there one already on my car someplace, I have a 1972 1.7 FI.

If I need to get one where does it go and how do I do it ?

Thanks in advance, cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(K9Torro @ Nov 10 2004, 01:42 PM)
I have a 1972 1.7 FI.

probably not. the sending unit goes to what is commonly refered to as the "Taco Plate" ...

it's a small round plate on the bottom of the motor that has the sender in the middle.
motors that came without the sender simply had a black cover.

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
2nd
qa1142
I'm still looking for one of these set-ups too. first quote is $50

I have WTB ad in clasifieds
Joe Ricard
I'm kinda curious. I just thought I would try and see if the sender would fit the drain plug hole . idea.gif I got one of each (drain plug hole and sender)will test tonight.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 10 2004, 02:35 PM)
I'm kinda curious. I just thought I would try and see if the sender would fit the drain plug hole . idea.gif I got one of each (drain plug hole and sender)will test tonight.

the sender is in a certain location for a reason ...
even if it fit's, you won't get the same readings ...

cool.gif Andy
morph
yeah you bought that from me todd.
i have the plate and sending unit for it.ill give ya a deal on it.since none of the items have been tested.all of the parts are out of a 73 2.0 that was last licensed for the road in 2000.
and welcome to the club
james
appearance & performance
K9Torro
Hi James, Did you get my PayPal I sent it before I heard anything from you, I like to pay right away so I dont lose track of the auctions. I would like to have the plate and sending unit, can you send me an email or a PayPal invoice for it ? Todd
morph
i just e mailed you on it
ill get a invoice out to you (30.00) we will just throw it in the box with the console
thanks

james
K9Torro
Thanks for the pictures and info Andy biggrin.gif
K9Torro
James, new PayPal sent on the plate and sending unit. Thanks Todd boldblue.gif
Joe Ricard
[quote=SirAndy,Nov 10 2004, 01:41 PM] [/QUOTE]
the sender is in a certain location for a reason ...
even if it fit's, you won't get the same readings ...

cool.gif Andy [/quote]
Uh bottom of the case is the bottom of the case. But no it don't fit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 10 2004, 07:44 PM)
Uh bottom of the case is the bottom of the case. But no it don't fit.

nope, it's actually not ...

look how the taco plate moves the sender deeper into the case.
cool.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
Guess we need to be scientific about it. However I am not going to rethread my drain plug hole to conduct it and prove my point so I will have to let this one go.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 10 2004, 01:35 PM)

Would you really want it hanging down on the bottom of the motor like that? I know it's not lower than a tuna can, but you still take a chance of breaking the sender off with road debris. Plus, you would have to remove it to drain the oil, and you risk breaking it when unscrewing it.

Personally, I think that it's better in the taco plate.
Joe Ricard
Duh? I was just looking at a way around the taco plate for engines without them. Guess I will continue swapping plates with the engine being used.
MXMARK
I could not find a taco plate plus the gauge that I have is from a 911 so I mounted a sender in the drain plug 0-150c and 12mm X 1.50mm VDO part #323 092D. The sender matches the 300f gauge perfectly. I would agree that the readings seem to change slow at first waiting for the case to heat up. and fast for stop and go and running down the freeway. When I stop and shut off the motor the gauge reads higher then while moving down the road even at higher rpm. Any one have a taco plate? Are the aftermarket ones done yet. Thanks Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.