Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear roof rubber stops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Does anyone know what these are called and where to find them? I looked at 914rubber but couldn't find them. I thought about just making some myself but wasn't sure if I could just find the right ones cheap

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Not really sure what you are referring to. I see a Targa bolster in the center and the top latch above. Plastic screw plugs (right and left) and weather stripping on the far right.
last337
Sorry im asking about the rubber block like pieces that go around the latches. They are broken off around the latches
mrbubblehead
I need a couple of sets also. I wish mark would start making these. I do know there is an early and late style. One is a little taller than the other, I dont remember which is which. it looks like yours are the shorties. If you find a supplier would you post em up?
Mikey914
Just a matter of making it pay off. Tooling is the big cost. 2 different sets of tooling adds up faster. If there were 50 people that needed 1 set each (for each type), it would be do-able. Cost I'd ballpark at $17 a piece. ($34 a set).

If there is enough interest I'll do it, but my gut tells me there is't enough demand for these..... maybe I'm wrong.
bluhun
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 14 2013, 11:18 PM) *

Just a matter of making it pay off. Tooling is the big cost. 2 different sets of tooling adds up faster. If there were 50 people that needed 1 set each (for each type), it would be do-able. Cost I'd ballpark at $17 a piece. ($34 a set).

If there is enough interest I'll do it, but my gut tells me there is't enough demand for these..... maybe I'm wrong.

I'll take a pair for my '75 6-cylinder conversion car.
last337
Id be in for a pair for my 1973. Are you die-cutting that from sheet rubber? That tooling would only cost less than a few hundred for a multi-cavity steel rule die.
Mikey914
These would have to be a molded part. I can look at just the rubber block rather than the whole strap (with the steel to mount it). That's the major portion of the cost on these the hook is imbedded in the rubber.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 15 2013, 10:53 AM) *

These would have to be a molded part. I can look at just the rubber block rather than the whole strap (with the steel to mount it). That's the major portion of the cost on these the hook is imbedded in the rubber.

Yes, the hook and the part that bolts to the roof are inbedded. I believe they are aluminum. Unless you made the whole thing out of aluminum. Then wrapped the part that touches in felt or somenting. At least they would last then....
last337
Granted I have never had a pair that arent all busted like mine in the picture, but it would seem that a rubber block with a hole for the hook to slide in would work as well.
worn

Well, I have started hoarding them because they all go bad with time and the time is roughly the same with all of them. Had to replace two in one year. Also AA no longer has any left. So I am the guy who keeps asking you to think about making them. They have an aluminum frame with a die cast center molded with rubber in between so it isn't simple. The problem is that the pot metal tends to break. Maybe there is a simple fix or substitute, but I would be in.
gms
I have a bunch if needed
Click to view attachment
dave1075
I am looking for those for quite a while. So I would be happy if someone decides to make them. I would definitely go for 2 pairs.

worn

I've asked for this before and would take two sets hands down. It seems like the supply is now reaching the critical point, and you could design them so they don't break, but I would understand if you wanted to go for authenticity. So, count me in!
timothy_nd28
I'd be in for a set
finchmunoz
Id be in for a set!
Chris Pincetich
FYI - I just "restored" an old set like Glenn posted above and they look amazing. Clean, buff, repaint. Maybe others have broken theirs?
SirAndy
I've been using short pieces of small rubber hose over the little pins that the latch hooks into.

That takes up the slack of the often missing powdercoat layer on the latches and hooks and helps keeping the top on tight.
popcorn[1].gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2013, 02:26 PM) *

I've been using short pieces of small rubber hose over the little pins that the latch hooks into.

That takes up the slack of the often missing powdercoat layer on the latches and hooks and helps keeping the top on tight.
popcorn[1].gif

I used heatshrink tubing on mine. Similar idea. smile.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2013, 01:26 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I have done the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.