Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendation for Rust Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
I am a new member and need some help from the experts. I have recently purchased a 914 as a project for my sons and I to work on together on the weekend, but didn't do a thorough inspection. I failed to identify and understand the amount of rust / welding that would be required. While I'm a novice mechanic (on a good day), I do not weld. I'd like a recommendation on a shop (or member) nearby Charlotte, NC that has does good work. I want to make the car safe to drive and have someone do the repair that has done it before. Right now, I know I have:
- Rust in the passenger longitudinal (top of door pinches)
- Rust on the frame mount for passenger-side engine carrier bar (this scares me.. alot)
- Rust in floor pan under the driver's seat (floor is crunchy)
- Possibly a "fiberglassed" inner fender repair near the battery tray.
- And yes, I know there will as much other rust as I want to look for

Also, I might get it painted at the same time as the repair work.

Thanks for your help in advance, I appreciate it.
-Don
mepstein
Don - welcome.png

Scotty B is the man.
check out this thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=183248&hl=

My car is at Scott's as well. Good luck, Mark

BTW - There is AA place in Atlanta GA that I would not go to for rust repair.
carr914
Black Forest Racing is in NC & is an expert in 914s
dlee6204
bye1.gif Hi neighbor! welcome.png Sounds like you've got quite the project. I'm local and might be able to help you and/or recommend a place. I'll shoot you a PM.
last337
I have the same problem with crunchy floor pan under drivers seat but was going to put off awhile. My only concern is the seat rails on that side. Just making sure that those are not attached to floor pans are they? The rails seem very solid
jimkelly
my advice - regardless of who you send your car to for rust repair - is to keep an open mind that your car's tub may be BEYOND ECONOMICAL REPAIR and that you may be better off buying a rust free tub and move your parts over to it.

the only way to know is to have a shop disassemble your car completely and have the tub sand blasted.

the worst case is you pay for disassembly and blasting and then decide to collect your car in boxes if your tub's rust is too costly to repair.

i would expect the typical non garaged 914 to need $3-$5k, or more, in rust repair.

keep in kind that your suspension and brakes will probably need restoration too, and this could run $3000 in parts alone.

jim
dcecc1968
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 16 2013, 10:43 AM) *

Don - welcome.png

Scotty B is the man.
check out this thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=183248&hl=

My car is at Scott's as well. Good luck, Mark

BTW - There is AA place in Atlanta GA that I would not go to for rust repair.

Thanks Mark, Scott's work is very good.
dcecc1968
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 16 2013, 02:01 PM) *

my advice - regardless of who you send your car to for rust repair - is to keep an open mind that your car's tub may be BEYOND ECONOMICAL REPAIR and that you may be better off buying a rust free tub and move your parts over to it.

the only way to know is to have a shop disassemble your car completely and have the tub sand blasted.

the worst case is you pay for disassembly and blasting and then decide to collect your car in boxes if your tub's rust is too costly to repair.

i would expect the typical non garaged 914 to need $3-$5k, or more, in rust repair.

keep in kind that your suspension and brakes will probably need restoration too, and this could run $3000 in parts alone.

jim

Jim thanks for the advice and for the ballpark $$'s. I've read enough posts on 914world to know that the repair could be expensive. I may need to look at a rust-free tub.
dcecc1968
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 16 2013, 12:23 PM) *

Black Forest Racing is in NC & is an expert in 914s

Thanks TC. This shop is less than an hour from me... it may be my first stop.
billh1963
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Jan 16 2013, 02:21 PM) *

I may need to look at a rust-free tub.

There really is no such thing as a rust free tub. Some are just less rusty than others! lol-2.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 16 2013, 02:27 PM) *

There really is no such thing as a rust free tub. Some are just less rusty than others! lol-2.gif

agree.gif
dcecc1968

touche..... you can tell I'm a newbie, huh?
billh1963
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Jan 16 2013, 02:36 PM) *

touche..... you can tell I'm a newbie, huh?

I replied to your PM..I probably scared you... laugh.gif

Post pictures of your car and you can get a better assessment.
76-914
Rust Free means No Extra Charge for the Rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.