Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hotrodalley
I have a 74 1.8L with L-Jetronic. I have replaced starter multiple times. The car will typically start fine with new starter a number of times - sometimes for a couple of days then it will just not start. I will hear a "clicking sound" similar to a dead battery but that is not the situation (although I am at a point of just changing out the battery)

In addition, i'll get a stalling condition as I come to stop signs. Otherwise the car runs fine.

Could these conditions be related?

Has anyone experienced these conditions?

Any help would be appreciated as I am new to the the 914.

thanks much
pilothyer
How are you testing the battery? If you are just measuring 12 volts at the terminals, even a marginal battery will test good that way....you should check it under load, such as with the headlights on. Just sounds like to me your battery is about gone. You may have a loose or dirty battery ground connection where the Neg. battery cable attaches to the body
ellisor3
Also check the condition of the ground strap from the trans to the body. If it is worn or not connected very well, it can cause problems.
cary
Ditto on cleaning all the ground connections.
turk22
When I had a problem with the starter not engaging (just clicking), it was that the positive cable from the battery had a very internally corroded cable. I removed the end of the cable, cut it back to good clean copper, and replaced the connector to the battery. Car started right up, and it was a $5 fix.

There is a thread out there about my troubleshooting steps, with lots of cleaning of the ground connections, and checking of the battery, and solinoid connections.

I don't think the starter and stalling are connected. I would expect the stalling at stop would be either idle adjustment, vaccuum lines not conneted, or possibly a MPS or CHT failure.

Turk
hot_shoe914
Vapor lock? confused24.gif
timothy_nd28
It does sound like a poor ground connection. You should run an extra ground wire straight from the battery to the bell housing starter bolt. I did this to mine, and my starter spins 20% faster.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 20 2013, 11:14 AM) *

It does sound like a poor ground connection. You should run an extra ground wire straight from the battery to the bell housing starter bolt. I did this to mine, and my starter spins 20% faster.

First things always first. The electrical system on these cars was 'engineered' and is almost certainly adequate. Find all your grounds, clean them up, reattach them. The factory system should not need accessory grounding if every thing is in good repair...
timothy_nd28
Adequate perhaps, but the original design is debatable. Copper to steel, steel back to copper, copper to magnesium, then to your starter, isn't the best way. Yes it works, till dielectric corrosion sits in at every connection. In addition, the alternator never had a proper ground with this setup. I would still clean all ground points on the car, but I'd also run heavy gauge wire from the battery to the bell housing, and perhaps a small jumper to the alternator housing. These ground wires are prefab at any FLAPS for under 15 bucks, why not?
struckn
Also check the ignition switch in the steering column, they're plastic and will crack.
I had one that worked intermitently untill it finally quit all together. Not easy to replace but do-able if you follow the tech instruction from Pelican. Also not an expensive part to replace.
timothy_nd28
check and bypass the seatbelt interlock circuit as well
mittelmotor
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 20 2013, 04:08 PM) *

check and bypass the seatbelt interlock circuit as well

Yes...bypassing this on my car fixed an intermittent starting problem. And no more annoying zzzzZZZZZzzzzZZzzzzzZZZZ!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.