Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Master Cylinder Brace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
I'm in for an Alu with a 23 mm master
ThePaintedMan
I'll stick with Chris's design, but nice work Mark! beerchug.gif
HarveyH
I'm interestred too. Le tme know when it's time to send the money...

Harvey
timothy_nd28
I'm worried about a front end collision. This brace would transfer the force from the crossmember directly into the pedal cluster. This mod could be a ankle breaker for the unfortunate people that happen to get in an accident.
FourBlades
Man, I asked for this thing yesterday and did not send any money and when I got home from work it was not installed on my car.

WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

biggrin.gif
Krieger
I'd like one .
doorknobcollector
I would like one, preferably with the plating option, if price is in the vicinity of $60...
Thanks,
Nate
BKLA
Status? biggrin.gif
Chris H.
I'm in for one.
BKLA
In for two... biggrin.gif

Rand
What prevents this from turning downwards under braking? Just the pressure on the cross member?

The way I see it, yes. When the bolt is tightened it puts force at the red arrow (in pic below) and pushes against the crossmember sufficient that the brace and master cylinder effectively become as one piece. The next force is downward at the green arrow which is blocked by the crossmember.

It would be interesting to have a stress lab that could put enough force on this setup to break something and see what gives first. At that point, I think it very likely would be the shorter bottom hook on the MC and it would indeed rotate off the crossmember. But this application in the car will never approach that amount of force.
maf914
Mark,

I am in for one. Sorry for the late response, but I have been away from the site for a while. Thanks.
McMark
I might be able to get the 50 I have assembled next week. Then they have to go out for plating.
Harpo
What ever happened to these? I could not find anything on your web site.

Thanks

David
Mike Bellis
agree.gif

bandjoey
Haven't searched (on my phone) yet but there's a thread on another brace that attaches to the MC with round screw down clamps. Seems like it was 'T' shaped. This is a good idea
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 21 2013, 10:13 PM) *

What prevents this from turning downwards under braking? Just the pressure on the cross member?

The way I see it, yes. When the bolt is tightened it puts force at the red arrow (in pic below) and pushes against the crossmember sufficient that the brace and master cylinder effectively become as one piece. The next force is downward at the green arrow which is blocked by the crossmember.

It would be interesting to have a stress lab that could put enough force on this setup to break something and see what gives first. At that point, I think it very likely would be the shorter bottom hook on the MC and it would indeed rotate off the crossmember. But this application in the car will never approach that amount of force.

Please make one for those of us that have swap out the crossmember to the alum version and 23 mm master. Then count me in for one.
Thanks!
McMark
Eric and I have been working to get a bunch of these together, but it's taken both of us awhile to get it going. Hopefully soon.
zambezi
Good old ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Cylinder-Br...c02&vxp=mtr
McMark
There ya go. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2013, 08:25 AM) *

I might be able to get the 50 I have assembled next week. Then they have to go out for plating.

One of them needs to go on my car for testing... happy11.gif
dlestep
Bulkhead flex is the reason that the master cylinder moves.
The mounting bolts of the mc are horizontally co-planer. The force applied is
trying to wrap the wall around the centerline of the bolt heads.
~
Adding an inboard and outboard .12in steel doubler plate, with the outboard plate
covering a larger portion of surface area, would eliminate the flex as well.
Especially if you add a radial interface, mid-length of the mc, gussetted thirty
degrees rearward and secured by two through bolts, mirroring the spacing
of the mc mounting bolts and offset below.
Form could be a conical cut, or a 30x by 30-y delta with counterbore spotfaces.
~
Just a thought...
mskala
For me, it seems like right at the edge of even fitting. No screw, and
it needed to be pretty much hammered in there. I don't think there is
any adjustment in the way that the way that the tube is mounted either.

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 29 2013, 09:47 PM) *

Bulkhead flex is the reason that the master cylinder moves.
The mounting bolts of the mc are horizontally co-planer. The force applied is
trying to wrap the wall around the centerline of the bolt heads.
~
Adding an inboard and outboard .12in steel doubler plate, with the outboard plate
covering a larger portion of surface area, would eliminate the flex as well.
Especially if you add a radial interface, mid-length of the mc, gussetted thirty
degrees rearward and secured by two through bolts, mirroring the spacing
of the mc mounting bolts and offset below.
Form could be a conical cut, or a 30x by 30-y delta with counterbore spotfaces.
~
Just a thought...

That was pretty much the way i was thinking of going. Except i wasnt thinking as well. I like it, because that directly solves the basic problem.
McMark
Mark S. that's okay. Tight is good. Each car is a little different.
r_towle
QUOTE(mskala @ Dec 30 2013, 08:37 PM) *

For me, it seems like right at the edge of even fitting. No screw, and
it needed to be pretty much hammered in there. I don't think there is
any adjustment in the way that the way that the tube is mounted either.

Click to view attachment

Mark, your car is toast.....what with all the paint work and scratches...
Looks like your brakes are now junk.
Just sell it to me, it's time
mskala

I wouldn't want do deprive you of all the future second place finishes.
Eric_Shea
Nate, Ken, John... shipped.

Thanks! Happy New Year Gang!
Any news for those that have switched to an aluminum member? I have and would love to purchase an updated support for mine. Thanks
r_towle
QUOTE(mskala @ Dec 31 2013, 09:25 AM) *

I wouldn't want do deprive you of all the future second place finishes.

nice reply.

Take a pic of the backside of the chassis right where the master cylinder mounts.
I wonder if that might be push outwards???

rich
mskala
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 31 2013, 05:07 PM) *

Take a pic of the backside of the chassis right where the master cylinder mounts.

rich

I don't think there is any problem with that area. Here's pics:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 31 2013, 02:55 PM) *

Any news for those that have switched to an aluminum member? I have and would love to purchase an updated support for mine. Thanks

That 3.6 project we have in house has an aluminum support. I'll look at it next time it's up on the lift. The problem is, the 911 and the 914 already fit differently. I fear the alloy support market for 914's is rather limited.
McMark
agree.gif Yup. Once I have one here in the shop I could think about it. But it's a really small market.
ConeDodger
Me! Me! rolleyes.gif
tomeric914
I love the simplicity of this design and can't believe I missed this (until now).

Why is the bottom "jaw" so short though? I know this is jammed in between the front crossmember and master cylinder, but it looks like there is only 1-2mm holding on to the tip of the master cylinder.

Would a short extension be beneficial? What am I missing?

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(mskala @ Dec 31 2013, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 31 2013, 05:07 PM) *

rich

I don't think there is any problem with that area. Here's pics:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Yup, it looks stock...
Rand
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jan 1 2014, 07:50 AM) *

Why is the bottom "jaw" so short though? I know this is jammed in between the front crossmember and master cylinder, but it looks like there is only 1-2mm holding on to the tip of the master cylinder.

It's not too short. It only takes so much to do the job. The extension would be excess and waste.
porschetub
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 23 2013, 07:10 AM) *

See, I'm behind on the times. laugh.gif
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the aluminum member either. I really don't see the benefit.

Old thread but thought I might put in my 0.2 cents,what the hell.
All said and done I like your solution....as an engineer I can see how it works without question.
Alloy member lol-2.gif ..oh I see,someone mentioned them flexing ,the shape of the casting it shouldn't do that ,yes I have one (alloy member),I think the important thing is to use the metal support straps on both side which in the 911 is also a sway bar mount.
I will fabricate a set from 20x6 steel flat bar I have and then come up with a clever plan to support the MS better,yep mine moves dry.gif
pete000
Did these ever make production?
914Sixer
Tangerine Racing made up one. Check website
McMark
I gave Eric @ PMB the design to run with, but I'm not sure if he ever made another run of them, or if he still has some in stock.

If he's not interested in building more, I can see about another run. But it's Eric's choice first.
jcd914
They seem to be available on E-bay:
PMB Mastercylinder brace

Jim

pete000
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 24 2016, 05:13 PM) *

They seem to be available on E-bay:
PMB Mastercylinder brace

Jim

COOL !

Does the splash guard have to be modified to fit it??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.