Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why noise & what brakes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonD
Aquired this incomplete project car with this front end set-up. What brakes and struts are these? "A" claipers and boge struts?

My problem is that I sometimes get a loud brakes sticking noise. It seems to occur after the car has been driven awhile and when I go around a sweeper type turn. The noise level depends on the speed. Very loud at 60mph, a slight squeek at 10mph. When I touch the brakes it goes away. If I stomp on the brakes it seems to right it self and stop the noise until it decides to do it again. Another words it doesn't happen on every sweeping left or right turn. I can fly up a canyon road and it won't do it at all. But then make a very gentle sweeping turn and it kicks in.

This last Sunday, I took the pads out, cleaned everything up, applied anti-squel brake grease, checked and slightly tightened the front bearing nut. The brakes work great, solid pedal good feel no squeaking. But after a test drive it did it again. Is it a bad bearing? Brake piston sticking? Anyone have a similar experience.

I took this picture last night after a drive and it kicked in just as I was turing in to my street and garage. Note the marks on the rotor. Didn't notice that Sunday and you can not feel it. Just visual.

Mike Bellis
My first guess is a bad wheel bearing since it makes the noise on corners. This would cause the rotor to rock around (pivot off plane) and drag on the caliper.
steuspeed
Do all the rotors look like that front and back or just the one? That would be a clue.
RonD
Nope just this one.
Mike Bellis
You need a new rotor. It looks fuched up! bolt the wheel back on, with the car jacked up. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and pull/push to see it the wheel feels loose. This would indicate a bad bearing. Pull the dust cap and see if the spindle nut is loose. You should not drive it until it's fixed.

Measure the caliper mounting bolt spacing. it is either 3" or 3.5" this will tell you what year (range) 911 the suspension is from.
steuspeed
The rotor is probably bad and the caliper could be sticking. You might try a cheap or used rotor first and see if the caliper does it again. Then you will know you need a caliper rebuild and fresh rotors.
RonD
As it turns out it was a stuck piston on the outside of the drivers side caliper.
I did replace bearings first but it still made the noise.

So I took out brake pad on that side only, carefully pushed on brake pedal until piston stuck out a bit. Removed the claiper, cleaned up what ever junk was on piston. Pushed the pistons in and installed the brake pad that was on the inside to the outside, because it was a different thickness, reassembled everything and no noise, no leaks and no pull to one side or the other during braking.
6freak
QUOTE(RonD @ Jan 28 2013, 07:33 AM) *

As it turns out it was a stuck piston on the outside of the drivers side caliper.
I did replace bearings first but it still made the noise.

So I took out brake pad on that side only, carefully pushed on brake pedal until piston stuck out a bit. Removed the claiper, cleaned up what ever junk was on piston. Pushed the pistons in and installed the brake pad that was on the inside to the outside, because it was a different thickness, reassembled everything and no noise, no leaks and no pull to one side or the other during braking.

and your ok with a half ass brake job???? ...its fun to go like hell but ya gotta stop as well...
smile.gif
6freak
Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and pull/push to see it the wheel feels loose. This would indicate a bad bearing.

not really!! only a loose bearing
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.