Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusted valves on a 914 today. Just met this guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Car sat for 3 hours to cool before starting.

Find TDC for cylinder #1 (distributor where it should be & mark in the right spot in the fan housing). Adjusted both intake & Exhaust to .15mm. Done

Move onto Cylinder #2. Rotate the drivers rear wheel counter clockwise. Find the notch in the bottom of the flywheel. Through the little hole on the bottom of the bell housing. Adjust both intake & exhaust again to 0.15m. Done

Move onto Cylinder 3. Rotate the rear wheel until I find the mark on the flywheel. verify I have it at TDC again at the distributor. Adjust both the intake & Exhaust again to 0.15. Done

Move onto Cylinder #4. Adjust both the intake & Exhaust again to 0.15. Done (not headbang.gif )

I put my valve covers back on. Get the car back on the ground & fire it up. Runs rough. I shut it off & think WTF.gif did I forget. So I go back through the whole valve adjustment in my head. I think I have this down the farther I got along. Cylinders 3 & 4 went much quicker screwy.gif . Son of headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif . Forgot to rotate the wheel & get TDC for #4 wacko.gif .

Guess I feel a little better as it makes sense now. Just feel like an idiot for not catching it before I buttoned it all back up confused24.gif
jsayre914
If it makes you feel any better, I adjusted mine perfectly a few years ago, then went in and had a bite to eat. Came out and fired it up, it would not idle at all

WTF.gif

Crawled under and found both rocker covers still layin on top of the heat exchangers.

first.gif
Black22
Where did you get the .15 number? I thought everything was .006,.008 for our engines?

Oh and zero for chromoly pushrods.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jan 26 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Where did you get the .15 number? I thought everything was .006,.008 for our engines?

That's .15mm, not .15 thousandths.

You'll notice he did it the hard way. Using my method, you'll NEVER make the mistake he made, and it's a LOT less work..

The Cap'n
Kirmizi
.15mm, not inch. I know, I had the same question til I re-read it. biggrin.gif

Mike
BKLA
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2013, 07:40 PM) *

You'll notice he did it the hard way. Using my method, you'll NEVER make the mistake he made, and it's a LOT less work..

The Cap'n

What's your method?
walterolin
Cap'n Krusty's valve adjustment:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758
Black22
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jan 26 2013, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2013, 07:40 PM) *

The Cap'n

What's your method?

Oh! missed that Cap'n!

It's in the Lapuwali Classic threads under Cap'n's Valve Adjustment Procedure.

Here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758
JRust
Read the pelican tech article. Question Cap'n ? You said .006 intake & .008 exhaust for a 1.8 & a 2.0. The pelican article says the 1.7 & 1.8 are both .006? Since ill be going back in. I want to make sure I get it right. So good sir what is the right number?

Your method definitely will be easier & makes sense
aharder
[/quote]

The Cap'n
[/quote]

agree.gif I use it because it works the best for me and the process is easy biggrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2013, 10:40 PM) *

Using my method, you'll NEVER make the mistake he made, and it's a LOT less work..

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Did it once the hard way, then used the Cap'n way after that.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 26 2013, 10:05 PM) *

Read the pelican tech article. Question Cap'n ? You said .006 intake & .008 exhaust for a 1.8 & a 2.0. The pelican article says the 1.7 & 1.8 are both .006? Since ill be going back in. I want to make sure I get it right. So good sir what is the right number?

Only the sodium-filled exhaust valve on the 2.0 uses the 0.008" spec. All 1.7 and 1.8 valves, and the 2.0 intake, are set to 0.006". There is one reference (I forget which one) that lists the 0.008" spec for 1.8 exhaust valves, but it is wrong.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
Back in the day, sodium filled exhaust valves were widely available for 1.8s and flew off the shelves at rebuild time. Everyone I knew in the 914 biz used them until they went NLA. I often err on the side of caution unless I know they're not sodium. I'll go back and change that in the post.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
OK, it's fixed. No more whining.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.