Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will AA have the biggest "pick-n-pull" 914 party ever?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
Crush or move?

From the link...

Well here is the question. We are now putting up for sale our four acres up the street in anticipation of purchasing our new building and must move the over 100 914s on the property. I had fully intended to move all of them to our body shop location for over 5000 in cost. However today, a crusher called offering almost $20,000 dollars for all of them. What would YOU do?
carr914
maybe, gEORGE is, dANNY
Eric_Shea
FDLFBFG
MoveQik
What do you think their value is considering all the VIN's are missing? blink.gif
billh1963
Tough crowd!
ottox914
Are they all 6's ?
'73-914kid
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jan 28 2013, 06:42 AM) *

Are they all 6's ?

No, but they can be if you ask George nicely dry.gif
IronHillRestorations
George is just being George, and trying to do his best to get the most from his junk pile so he won't have to move it.
underthetire
2K a piece for scrap metal idea.gif
Come get mine!
billh1963
I certainly hope he opens up the place for a few weeks rather than crushing everything without giving those interested a chance!
carr914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 28 2013, 02:18 PM) *

Come get mine!

Exactly & if you have seen some of that Junk, you know that geoDanNY is full of Sh!t
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 28 2013, 11:18 AM) *
Come get mine!

Aehm ...

20,000 / 100 = 200

shades.gif
AvalonFal
nm
Kirmizi
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 28 2013, 11:09 AM) *

George is just being George, and trying to do his best to get the most from his junk pile so he won't have to move it.

agree.gif
Didn't he try this before, a couple years ago?
Ferg
You can get a pretty good idea of quality if you go to his website and start looking at the pics of project cars for sale. sunglasses.gif

URY914
Let the cops run all the VIN numbers first.
Dr Evil
Turd piles
SLITS
No gracias!
Rand
It's weird to me that "Dr 914" has to ask this. I don't know why he is thinking all or nothing. Seems simple to me: Move anything that's worth saving, crush the crap.
Dr Evil
He needs to send Ripper out there to pull all the good parts rolleyes.gif
bandjoey
Or......he gets 100 people to buy one for $300. There's probably more than that in parts in most cars. It's a good deal for everyone.

U can't say he's not a good businessman.
mepstein
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 28 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Or......he gets 100 people to buy one for $300. There's probably more than that in parts in most cars. It's a good deal for everyone.

It might be a good deal if it showed up on your doorstep but for most people, there is still the matter of loading it up and transporting to your destination. Can be expensive & time consuming to move a non op vehicle. BTDT and probably cheaper to buy a junker off craiglist in your area.
carr914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 28 2013, 05:12 PM) *

I disagree, a Good Businessman treats his Customers with Respect so they keep coming back!
RoadGlue
Have we all had our say? George has had his share of beatings around here. K?

Let's watch and see what happens. If you want a car, contact him. smile.gif
Jake Raby
Damn, I have access to a 45,000# track hoe that would make quick work of crushing 100 X 914s, sounds like some serious therapy for a Saturday!

The EPA impact probably wouldn't be acceptable, though.

Hammy
Figures. More worried about the money than preserving the cars. I don't think That's a question that even needed asking.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 28 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Figures. More worried about the money than preserving the cars. I don't think That's a question that even needed asking.

agree.gif
sixnotfour
Lets see some Pics, last time I saw pics, his 100 cars was 924,944,914, and nothing special, in an over grown lot.

Id be more interested in the roadglue, 914s

scrap iron is 6 cents a pound, incomplete hulks, Generous 500lbs x 100 = 50,000 x .06 = 3000

Unless he gets hooked up on a federal buy back, and gets 200 each, must have a title.

I was at a Porsche auction, scrap guys were high bidders, after the auction I bought 6 transmissions for 50 bucks,
Johny Blackstain
10 yrs ago I had a chance to visit Georges' graveyard. The lot was triangular, on a hill full of weeds & mud, behind the AA building. Teeners were lying about in all sorts of conditions & positions. I'm sure the soil there is contaminated & an EPA nightmare. As for the cars all I can say is outside in the Georgia sun & air is no way or location to store a teener. Can't really blame anyone for this because it would have required an immense building to keep them all under a roof & that's very expensive. However, as an avid 914 enthusiast I can honestly say it hurt to see all those poor little teeners in such a state/place. sad.gif
bigkensteele
Last time I was there was probably 2006. If I were to venture into his yard, I would first get a fresh tetanus shot, and make sure that there was a hospital close by with anti-venom for all poisonous snakes and spiders indigenous to GA. Hard to say if there is anything out there of value, but I am guessing that if there were, it would have been pulled and sold a long time ago.
rhodyguy
the current location may be grandfathered/zoned as a wrecking yard/dismantler. might not be the case with the new house-o-george.

k
JFJ914
Well, he's made up has mind. The cars are being moved to a new location. You'll have to find something else to vent your spleens at!
Eric_Shea

Sure you can.

He's burned almost everyone he's come in contact with. That doesn't sound like a good businessman to me. He may have stumbled on a few things like the "Club" for $5k which, at the time was less than $0.75 per name but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again.

Think of what a "good" businessman could have done with all George's talent (yeah, that's a backhanded compliment).
bandjoey
Ah Hum.... A good businessman in knowing how to make money ...I should have elaborated.
naro914
Seriously, it would be better for everyone if he crushed all of them. The less there are around, the more valuable the good ones are..
RoadGlue
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:09 AM) *

Seriously, it would be better for everyone if he crushed all of them. The less there are around, the more valuable the good ones are..

I don't think that saving rust buckets is going to affect the value of your car. I'd rather seem them saved if possible... even if it's just a small handful. Wouldn't you? It's almost like me saying that I wish have the 914s caught on fire tomorrow because that would make mine more valuable. That would be a pretty lousy thing for me to say, right?

How do rust buckets sitting in a lot or building affect the value of your car when it's not even close to being in the same shape. Might it affect the value of other rust buckets? Probably not, as most everyone knows George charges a premium.

We may all be the last ones laughing one day when rusted out chassis' fetch mega bucks, just like what happened with 356s. I think he's being smart about this, and I'm no AA or George fanboy.

Randy
naro914
Part of the reason (among many) why Speedsters are so valuable is the scarcity of them. A few years back an entire truckload of speedsters got rammed by a train and destroyed something like 8 of them. While very unfortunately, some people in the know said right then the value of speedsters just went up 10% due to even less good ones being around.

I agree, rust buckets are not going to affect the value of a good 914. But then, why bother to keep them? If they are reasonably rebuildable, or have salvageble parts that can help build another car, absolutely keep them. but if they are too far gone, why bother?

Sorry, but I also believe in pulling the plug when there is no hope for survival other than being kept on machine life support. eventually, you have to let things go...
jimtab
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2013, 11:26 AM) *

Come get mine!

Aehm ...

20,000 / 100 = 200

shades.gif

Nice...someone who can drive AND knows "arithmetic".....it's a beautiful thing....
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jan 29 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Come get mine!

Aehm ...

20,000 / 100 = 200

shades.gif

Nice...someone who can drive AND knows "arithmetic".....it's a beautiful thing....

He probably used his computer to figure it out. happy11.gif (I guess most people do nowadays). type.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 29 2013, 11:03 AM) *
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jan 29 2013, 10:58 AM) *
Come get mine!

Aehm ...

20,000 / 100 = 200

shades.gif

He probably used his computer to figure it out. happy11.gif (I guess most people do nowadays). type.gif

The one thing about the metric system that ya'all here in the US just can't wrap your head around is how EASY it is to do calculations like the one above.
You don't even have to do any thinking. biggrin.gif

Dividing by 100 is simply done by moving the decimal point to the left by the number of zeros (2) in 100.

20000.00 / 100 =

Works with a more complex number as well:
18357 / 100 = 183.57

Can't get much easier than that ... poke.gif

sixnotfour
yes, if they have titles, check scrap rates, that I quoted.

There is not $200 worth of scrap in every car in the lot and a title.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 29 2013, 01:12 PM) *

The one thing about the metric system that ya'all here in the US just can't wrap your head around is how EASY it is to do calculations like the one above.

Dividing by 100 is simply done by moving the decimal point to the left by the number of zeros (2) in 100.

20000.00 / 100 =

18357 / 100 = 183.57

agree.gif 100%. Working with one numerical base is a blessing.
Hammy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 29 2013, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:09 AM) *

I don't think that saving rust buckets is going to affect the value of your car. I'd rather seem them saved if possible... even if it's just a small handful. Wouldn't you? It's almost like me saying that I wish have the 914s caught on fire tomorrow because that would make mine more valuable. That would be a pretty lousy thing for me to say, right?

How do rust buckets sitting in a lot or building affect the value of your car when it's not even close to being in the same shape. Might it affect the value of other rust buckets? Probably not, as most everyone knows George charges a premium.

I agree completely. I am glad to hear he's going to have the lot moved despite what little may be left of the cars by now.
worn

20000.00 / 100 =

18357 / 100 = 183.57

Edit: sorry, I messed up Sir Andy's quote.

As a scientist I use the metric system all of the time. It's great, especially for volumes. I run into problems with the meter though simply because it seems a bad choice compared to something around a foot long. I simply cannot do metric carpentry or cabinet making. Every adult is two meters tall. beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 31 2013, 11:13 AM) *

As a scientist I use the metric system all of the time. It's great, especially for volumes. I run into problems with the meter though simply because it seems a bad choice compared to something around a foot long. I simply cannot do metric carpentry or cabinet making. Every adult is two meters tall. beerchug.gif

Hehe, I always make fun of my British friends when they talk about weight in "stones." A stone is 14 pounds, but that means the units themselves are larger and less precise. Same thing with Celsius/Kelvin, though they are a little more convenient and applicable when measuring things in a laboratory setting
rhodyguy
'cut that 2x4 @ 1.31 meters' shades.gif makes for a whole new market for the manufactures of tape measures. working with ft/in is easy when you know simple tricks.
SLITS
I'm so old I use cubits!
MoveQik
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 31 2013, 09:57 AM) *

I'm so old I use cubits!

You still use an abacus as well.
walterolin
Still have a K&E slide rule in my desk.
carr914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 31 2013, 11:57 AM) *

I'm so old I use cubits!

I thought you were still drawing lines in the dirt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.