Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do I
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Manual says Porsche mechanic only laugh.gif

I was thinking of drilling rubber out to free them up.

how do i get them apart and then back together?

pray.gif
eeyore
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ings_front2.htm

(Fire good!) ar15.gif
ClayPerrine
I just put the arms in a press and pushed the bushings out. They peeled right off with enough pressure, and I didn't piss off my neighbors by floating little bits of burned rubber into their pool. biggrin.gif

When you reassemble and you use delrin bushings, test fit them into the brackets, and slide them over the arms. They should move freely without lubrication. IF they don't ream them until they do. Don't check them without the outside metal collars, the installation into the collars will make the hole in the center smaller. BTDT.
Eric_Shea
I've found it easier to use a torch and I've got a press sitting in the corner of the garage.

I don't like the out and out flame thrower idea either. Here's what I've found:

Have a large screwdriver available and ready to use on those collars that Clay talks about. Using a torch, evenly heat the collar until you see a wisp of smoke come off the rubber bushing. Once they start to smoke they're ready to go. Put the screwdriver in the bolt holes (for the front collars) or the adjustment hole (for the rears) and begin to twist the collar. They may cool enough as to where you will have to heat them again but, by working the screwdriver and collar back and forth they will slide right off. After that it's fairly easy to cut the bushing and remove it from the arm.

I put this off for a couple months and couldn't believe that I was done in five minutes headbang.gif

Not that tough and about a 1 or a 2 on a 10 scale.

Again... don't cook the sheite out of them, just get them warm enough to smoke a bit.

My $0.02 smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Found some pics...

Not as it looks, this is simply the undercoating flaming off the collar. In the background you can see the rear adjusting collars removed and the bushings cut.
Eric_Shea
This is more like it. Apply even heat on both side until you see some blue smoke come out from under the collar.
Eric_Shea
Insert the screwdriver and twist away...
Eric_Shea
I usually bead blast them after that and repaint with POR-15. Powdercoating is always nice biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
Classic, this has to go to the classic section. Simple, yet descriptive...

Again Eric, you are DA MAN for tech specs.

BTW, great pics.... smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
We need a blushing smiley.

Thanks Rob. I like to help.

Any recent pics of your project??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.