Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Hub Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MarkV
Andy, I have a Momo hub that bolts up to late column. It has a gap like the Dino hub. You can have it if you need a hub until you can find something else. cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 30 2003, 10:33 AM)
Andy, I have a Momo hub that bolts up to late column. It has a gap like the Dino hub. You can have it if you need a hub until you can find something else. cool_shades.gif

yes!
that would be very cool. i really like to keep my old momo, i like them much better than the new ones ...

Andy
Jeroen
Here's some pics of my Raid (Dino) hub

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
asdf
Jeroen
asdf
Jeroen
Car is a '72 BTW

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
hey, Jeroen, where's your Car in that pic? all i can see is the Garage-Floor! laugh.gif
Jeroen
The missing pieces are piled up in a corner of the garage rolleyes.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
MarkV
Well there is the problem. The hub from TC Racing has the spline in a completely different place.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 30 2003, 11:33 AM)
Well there is the problem. The hub from TC Racing has the spline in a completely different place.

hmmm, even if you remove the horn ring from the original?
it seems like without that, the position should be pretty close ...

Andy
Jeroen
Ok, maybe this is a stoopid suggestion, but did you try to mount the splined bottom of the hub upside down
(remove the 4 screws, turn the bottom part around, so the splined part goes into the hub)

cheers,

Jeroen
MarkV
Those aren't scews they are casting holes. It can't be disassembled. unsure.gif
Aaron Cox
okay, here be some pics....

here is the top (front- the side facing the wheel)
Jeroen
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 30 2003, 09:37 PM)
Those aren't scews they are casting holes. It can't be disassembled. unsure.gif

I would swear I'm seeing 4 allen screws in your pic...

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Jeroen,

I see them too.
Aaron Cox
here is the side....w/ a gauge caliper for reference
Aaron Cox
here is the bottom view...the red arrows poit to the "indent" and the blue point to some sort of button thing smile.gif
green arrow points to PN
Aaron Cox
markv, this is what you will be recieving
MarkV
Jeroen,

You are correct. I was at work when I saw your post. blink.gif Had a hard tome getting it apart, assembled w/ some kind of thread lock. If I flip it over the shaft doesn't come through the center far enough to get the washer & nut on. Doesn't change the "gap" very much either.

I looked at the photo of your column & mine looks the same.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 30 2003, 05:46 PM)
and the blue point to some sort of  button thing  :)

your hub looks like an early one.
that "button thing" is the contact for the horn, which is a springloaded graphite pin that rubs on the metal ring that goes on the streering column.
that is a early (pre '72) setup ...

later models have the horn-ring on the hub and a flat metal contact on the steering column.

Andy
MarkV
Arron sent me a hub that I got to work.

It fit over the existing column but made contact w/ the turn signal & wiper switches so I had to cut it down 3/8".

It was drilled for 5mm screws so I had to tap it to 6mm.

Had to extend the horn ring 1/2" to make it work. The scews for the horn ring are 3.5mm and are hard to find.

I used the boot from the other hub, doesn't look so big that way.
MarkV
Jereon & Malmz, I did get a response back from TC Racing. The hubs they sell are "for racing purposes only" w/ no provisions for horn or signal cancel.
Malmz
Horn or cancellation wasn't really my issue, just the big-ass gap is. It seems like they don't know that their hubs don't fit all years of 914s (that there are different offsets) unless I'm missing something.

I need to take a pict of mine, but it looks like one of the other ones posted.

Congratulations on actually getting a response though! Wish they gave me that courtesy..... sad.gif

sm
MarkV
This is what TC Racing had to say about the big ass bootyshake.gif gap:

Hi Mark, I spoke to our shop foreman regarding the problem you found. Marco is the one that had replied to your original inquiry letting you know that this hub would not allow a setup with no gap. He does not know of a way to fill the gap.
Also, it is dificult to install a horn with some of our hubs and this one is one of them.
Please keep in mind this IS a racing setup, not intended for street use.

Carolina

Note: forwarded message attached.

Carolina Capote
4467 Chickasaw Rd
Memphis TN 38117 USA
Tel: 901-921-9921
Fax: 901-821-0116
Lawrence
I just went to the Momo website (www.momo.it).

Talk about a site that's an overdesigned, bandwidth-hogging, difficult to navigate POS.

Someone sure made their money designing THAT site. :finger2:

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. I have a big-ass gap on my hub adapter, too. But at least I have a horn and signals.
MarkV
Rusty, I think Andy may have a hub that will fix your problem. He converted from an early column to a late column & has an early Momo adapter than won't work on his car. I sent him a late Momo adapter that has a big ass bootyshake.gif gap.
Aaron Cox
like i said.....glad to see ya got it to work. always good to see someone getting use out of something i cant tongue.gif

ps, anyone seen the GRANT steering wheels on ebay? kinda cool but pricey tho! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.