Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Hub Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MarkV
I have a momo mount & just bout a Dino wheel. The Dino wheel has a slightly larger bolt patern that the Momo hub. Do they still make a Dino hub for a 73 914?

Also looks like the Dino wheel may work better w/ 5mm mach. screws vs. the 4mm the Momo takes. Has anybody re-drilled a Momo hub to fit a Dino wheel?

When I mount the hub in the car there is a 1" gap between the Momo hug & the horn mechanism. I assume this gap is for the horn wiper contact. Am I missing a cover or do I have the wrong hub. The hub bolts on w/ no problem.

I bouht the hub & wheel from different sellers on e-bay. confused24.gif
MarkV
close-up
Qarl
Is that a silver-spoked Momo Prototipo wheel on the right?

There's some guy looking for one on the PP 911 forum.

Regards,

Karl
MarkV
gap-osis
Curvie Roadlover
Damn, so close, yet so far away. Maybe if you mounted the wheel with screws and drove them in on an angle........ blink.gif
MarkV
Karl, Yes it is a silver spoke Prototipo on the right. It is the small diam. model 320 0r 330mm. The leather is not in good condition. I have been looking for a 350mm Prototipo when I found the Dino dirt cheap.
Qarl
Umm... that gap for the steering column doesn't look right.

Is that hub adapter in all the way? And that hub doesn't look like the Momo hub I have. It seems longer.

Do you want me to take a picture of my setup?

Regards,

Karl
Curvie Roadlover
I have a MOMO hub and wheel, and I can tell you my hub is not as long as the one in your pic. Also no gap to the steering column. Are you sure that's the right hub? confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
i dont think the gap is supposed to be there at all <_<
Aaron Cox
here is a solution:
send me a $20....
ill send you a personal wheel adapter
and you can redrilll it biggrin.gif

sound like a plan? laugh.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Also, on mine the diameter of the hub matches the diameter of the steering column. I notice in your pic the hub is quite a bit bigger than the steering column.
MarkV
There are three holes on the back of the adapter to attach the horn wiper. So, I think the gap has to be there. I must be missing some kind of cone shaped cover.

The spilne is right and the wheel draws down to the shoulder on the shaft.
Qarl
Even with some "cone adapter" it still doesn't look right. It also looks like it sets the wheel too far away from the column. I think it's because the adapter is longer than normal and because of the gap.

The Momo hub I have, has the horn adapter recessed into the back of the hub, so there isn't a gap.

Just trying to help.

Regards,

karl
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(kellzey @ May 16 2003, 08:06 PM)

The Momo hub I have, has the horn adapter recessed into the back of the hub, so there isn't a gap.

Yup, mine too.
Qarl
Here's my Momo hub and Prototip wheel.
Qarl
Oooooohhh... shiny wheel.... (drool)

I love this steering wheel. I can't wait to drive with it in the final finished conversion project with it. I think I will install it last as the crowning touch.

Regards,

Karl
MarkV
I don't have anything for reference other than the stock wheel. I was always running into the dash, turn signals & wipers w/ my hands. I now have 4" of clearance from the dash & 2 1/2" from the wiper & signal stalks. It feels better but I obviously can't drive it w/ 2-4mm screws holding the wheel on.

Anyone have pictures of their set-up? smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Qarl
Look two replies above. We were probably typing at the same time!

Karl
MarkV
Thanks Karl,

Nice wheel!!

The hub I have looks longer & bigger in diameter. My hub is 3 1/2" long, 4 1/2" if the "cone" was there.
MarkV
Mine has a rubber boot w/ like a built-in crumple zone. confused24.gif
Qarl
Please refrain from posting pictures of your backside on this group.

We've already seen enough of other poster's backsides!

Regards,

Karl
Curvie Roadlover
My hub is the same as Kellzey's. It is too close to the dash though and I was banging the wiper/turn signal arms during "spirited" driving. I bought a steering wheel spacer from a place in FLA called FVD-USA for 20 bucks that moved the wheel out about .75" not much but enough to fix the banging into the wiper/blinker arms. It is also offset a bit so my wheel is now a bit higher when the wheels are pointing straight smile.gif - -and a bit lower when I turn the wheel 180 degrees sad.gif
MarkV
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 16 2003, 07:56 PM)
here is a solution:
send me a $20....
and you can redrilll it biggrin.gif

Aaron,

What is the bolt patern of your hub? I need 6 on 74mm center w/ 5mm screws.

Thanks
Jeroen
Go to the TC Racing website
The hubs they sell are the same bolt patern as the Dino
Good news, the hubs are cheap too ($30 IIRC)

cheers,

Jeroen
Andyrew
Mine has a ruber boot, I had a problem like that, let me take a pic....
Andyrew
pic
Andyrew
pic
Andyrew
$80 wheel with hub at swap meet! I love good deals.

Ps, ignore the foot, I just got up.
Jeroen
BTW, the hub you have is prolly for a later style 911 (up to '89)
Oh, and that Personal hub that Aaron has will fit your Dino wheel as well

cheers,

Jeroen
Andyrew
Jeroen, If your talking to me, Yes the hub is for a 911, but it fit my car (yay) asside from the, oh how do you say it, offset? So I just put the hub from the stock wheel in as a spacer, it wiggles around, but the wheel and hub attached to the wheel is firmly mounted, so no worries for me.
Jeroen
Hey Andrew,

I was actually talking about the pics of Mark V's hub

cheers,

Jeroen
abm914
Guys

Hi there, I'm having the same problem finding a steering hub for my '71 914. I've tried the 'early' momo hub (same as Mark's) but it leaves a large gap. A fellow '14ner let me try his later Momo hub (like Karl's) but it wouldn't go on the steering shaft (and a didn't want to force it on too hard as the guy who lent it was sitting next to me!). His '14 is a '73 so it should fit on Mark's car without a gap.

Does any one have a pre72 car with a momo wheel on it?
Also, PP sell an adaptor/extender, does anyone have one of these?

PP Wheel adaptor

Adam
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 17 2003, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 16 2003, 07:56 PM)
here is a solution:
send me a $20....
and you can redrilll it  :D

Aaron,

What is the bolt patern of your hub? I need 6 on 74mm center w/ 5mm screws.

Thanks

i was just screwin around....you can seriously have it if you want it. i have absolutely no use for it! interested....i tried giving it away on a game like thread but no go
jim_hoyland
I had the same thing with the Momo. I took the bottom off the original Porsche Steering wheel. I t has the turn signal return on it; then I carefully, repeat carefully, drilled holes on the bak of the adapter, and tapped them for the screws.

Turned out to be a perfect solution and my turn signal return works too.
MarkV
My wheel hub arrived from TC Racing today. This one has the right bolt pattern, but it has the same 1" gap behind the hub like the momo adapter that I have. As you can see from the photo, the gap is too small to mount the back from the factory wheel in the space allowed.

I tried to get information from TC Racing before I ordered. They have a machine that answers the phone & they don't return e-mail.

Does anyone have a solution? confused24.gif
MarkV
abcd
Aaron Cox
well, you can still have mine....like i told you in the email...it must have been dropped , has a small "dent". PM, if you want it.....
of course, a lot less than 20 bucks!
MarkV
Does it look like this?
Aaron Cox
NOPE! it is EXACTLY (yes EXACTLY, i busted out the dial calipers)

height: 3.72 "
Diameter: 3.53 "
Wall thickness: .08"

has 6 bolts for the wheel itself. the rear side of it is quite recessed. my dad should bring the didgital camera home tommorow. ill snap a few then ok?
seanery
I've got that same hub on my car and it works great! No gap.
seanery
Also, PP sell an adaptor/extender, does anyone have one of these?

PP Wheel adaptor

I think Brad is running these on Lyressa's car.
seanery
It's on my 74. It's 2000 miles away or I'd take a pic for you.
MarkV
As you can see the factory wheel spline is deep in a recess. The aftermarket hub has the spline on the end.

Are you guys getting tired of my problem? You know I have more photos.
Aaron Cox
if that is the case, then i think mine will solve your prob! mine goes about an inch past yours (toward the steerring collumn) smash.gif
Malmz
Ha! I have two of the same problems as Mark. I bought the same adaptor from TC Racing and it fits the same (gap), and they never returned any of my e-mails after the purchase and the note on their invoice that said "let us know if you need anything...".

FWIW, mine is a 74 and should have the stock column on it.

I also bought the quick release from them which is a very nice piece and works great, but still have the gap and no customer service...

I haven't gone back into the car recently to try to work something out, it's still on my "to do" list...

sm
Jeroen
Hmmm... this is weird.
Carolina from TC Racing was very helpfull when I ordered my quickrelease.
We swapped several e-mails before I ordered and she always responded within a day
I didn't order the hub though (already had a Raid hub).

I'll measure the backside of my Raid hub when I get home 2nite...

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
anyone wants to trade a early momo hub for a late momo hub ???

i have a early one, upgraded my car to a late style steering column and now the old hub doesn't fit anymore.
it's about an inch too long!
Mark, could that be the solution to your problem? maybe you have a "early" column!

Andy
seanery
that sounds/looks like the problem.
MarkV
Read Malmz response above. I think I just bought a paper weight. :finger2:

My car is a 73 and I am almost positive it has the factory column. Early columns are 70-71 only.

Andy, do you have a photo of your column minus the wheel?
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 30 2003, 10:09 AM)
Andy, do you have a photo of your column minus the wheel?

they're all too blurry ... haha laugh.gif

maybe brad could shoot some pics of the column and the old hub today.
he sais it's a '75 column.

Hey Mueller, didn't i get that column from you? what year is it?

the early adapter fits, but it's about 1" too long, can't get the nut back on,
the tip of the column barely sticks out through the hub ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.