Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jack post restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Well
Dug into left jack point today. metal is layered there??? looks like long goes behind the rear sub-frame???

Top layer is rusted through in spots. Clean solid metal all the way around where the jack post support was spot welded to the subframe.

Surface rust cleaned up well under the long/subframe.

If I weld this 1/2 post support in, will that be good enough? What is top layer here, the rear sub-frame? what bits would I need to patch in clean metal here??

Take a look at these pictures...
qa1142
another view
qa1142
If I por15 it and weld this piece in....
ChrisFoley
Thats what I would do ... unless you want to start a big project. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
qa1142
icon_bump.gif Only one reply? What happened you all asleep? laugh.gif
Lou W
I would think that you would want to make sure that the area is treated with some type of rust stopper, something like Dupont Metal Prep, then primered with weldable primer and then weld the new piece in. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

Put a rust stopping agent (RUST-MORT etc...) in there first. Then POR-15. Then grind away the POR 15 on the areas to be welded. Then Zinc prime those. Then weld that piece you've got in there.

Looks like you're on the right track. beer.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Nov 13 2004, 07:12 AM)
icon_bump.gif Only one reply? What happened you all asleep? laugh.gif

Seems like sundays are quiet around here,

Looks good.
TheCabinetmaker
Uh, Sean, today is Saturday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.