Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1911 180hp?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
Well, not really but I got you to look. My question is, if I put 96mm P&Cs on an otherwise bone stock 1.8 (1911 cc) what kind of HP/torque could I expect? 90-100 hp? Has anyone here done this and would it be worth the effort/money? Would it be better to spring for some headwork while in the process of installing the P&Cs? Maybe for a total of 110-115hp?
McMark
I would guess 85ish with 1.8 heads and and 95ish with 2.0 heads. If you do headwork only work on the exhaust. Maybe 100ish?
eeyore
Here's a related link...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=17818&hl=cheap
DrifterJay
mine will have about 130-50 (depending on exhaust)...but there is a "tiny" (hehe) bit of headwork done...monster cam...and a few other things....plus a nicely lightened flywheel.... biggrin.gif
balthazar
Hey drifter jay...were you in the 10th Mtn. Div.?
Jake Raby
Sure it can be done....

BUT the heads it would take to do it would cost MORE than most people are willing to pay.... AND to make that kind of HP from that small of an engine requires a powerband to 8K revs so drivability is lost...

It would be a high tuned short liver, but I have done it for a Supervee customer that was limited to 2 liters and neded high revs... Actually it made 183 at 8300!

You are MUCH better off to use dispplacement to make that kind of HP, its cheaper, safer and easier to drive...

I have a combo for a 110HP 19011 with stock 2.0 heads or slightly worked 1.8s. It has flat torque and revs to 6K easily with carbs. The FI version is doggish but still beats the stock 2.0 on torque.

Jay, that monster cam will more times than not KILL HP instead of making it. The slightly worked heads and lack of CR are just two of the pieces of the puzzle that can misconfigure an engine in a heartbeat.

130-150 Dyno HP from a 1911 is not an easy task fellas The combo has to be spot on and so does assembly...

BTW a lightened flywheel won't make more HP alone, it just decreases lag time for throttle respionse and does make the car faster, but does not increase HP... It just feels like it does..
914werke
BTW Jake how was your Cruise?
Jake Raby
Excellent!

But I wish I would have never left now.. Not enough time in the day...
Ctrout
So the question remains, what kind of horsepower and torque would an otherwise stock 1.8 with stock FI and 96mm P&Cs make? Does anyone have actual dyno numbers for this single mod? I'm not shooting for any target horsepower. I would just like to know what the gain would be before I run out and spend any money. I would love to have 160-180hp but I don't have that kind of cash. If I had $6000 to spend, I wouldn't be asking about individual mods. I would just mail Jake a check and wait. In fact, if I had that kind of cash to drop on a 914, I would not have bought a non-runner on Ebay. I would have found a more solid car with better body and paint to start with.
ChrisReale
What would be an ideal autocross combo? Torque is good coming out of corners, but hp up high is also desireable because you spend alot of time at redline...???
Mueller
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Nov 13 2004, 09:39 PM)
So the question remains, what kind of horsepower and torque would an otherwise stock 1.8 with stock FI and 96mm P&Cs make?

your total hp will be a few hp shy of a stock 2.0 due to the heads on the 1.8 not being as good as the 2.0 heads.

no hard numbers, but it'll have more than a stock 1.8 and less than a stock 2.0, plain and simple

for the hp/torque gain going to the 96mm pistons, the only time it makes sense to do so is if the motor is out and needs new pistons and cylinder or you have money to burn.....IMHO, one would have to have more money than brains drop a perfectly good running engine just to increase the bores to 96mm "just for the helluva it" smile.gif

i used to have a 1911 motor (1.8, with 96mm p/c's and the stock L-Jet), ran great, a few 2.0 owners thought it was a 2.0 due to it running so well.....it's a much cheaper way to get a little more "grin factor" without having to buy a 2.0 engine....
Jake Raby
I havea 1911 combo that produces more power than a stock 2.0 and it still works with stock FI. The carbbed version makes 120HP!

It still uses 1.8 heads with very little work done to the ports and stock 41x34 valves

If anyone wants the graphs, email me..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.