Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting the Spare, Vertically
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
With my radiator install I will need to mount my spare vertically. I'd like to see a few pic's of others cars that have done this. My question is this; what size tire did you use because the stock tire/rim combo won't fit standing up?
brant
15 inch collapsable spare, space saver
the kind porsche used in all of the 944's and mid year 911's that require an air pump.

you can also find these in 14 inch at junkyards for other types of cars
I believe the mid 80's nissan 300zx used a 14inch version

I throw a full sized tire into the rear trunk for longer trips
Mark Henry
Agreed, 5-bolt space saver spare and a $15 walmart 12V air pump.
4-bolt you can use a 4-1/2" X 15" bug rim and a 125-15" temporary spare tire, look in a scrap yard. You could also do this with a early 5 -bolt steel rim.
Eric_Shea
Here's the steps I needed to take to do it.

1. Acquire a factory hold down. Mine was on the section of floor I cut out for the GT oil cooler vent.

2. Pick the part and weld it to the bulkhead.

3. Find a factory space saver spare.

4. Mount it up.

I mounted mine with the Fuchs facing forward so I had to lengthen the attaching rod. I got a female/female coupler and connected an extra length of metric rod (10x1.5??)

You can just make out the mount location in this pre-paint picture:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Phoenix-MN
15" space saver

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2013, 07:59 AM) *

I agree with half of that. biggrin.gif

The part i don't agree with is the "throwing" since the rear trunk already has a threaded hole for the spare wheel fastener.
shades.gif
Elliot Cannon
Space saver spare with a small SCUBA bottle with the first stage of an old SCUBA regulator which drops the pressure down to about 120 psi. Or a 12 volt pump. Weld a spare tire cleat to the wall and you're in bidness.
BIGKAT_83
Here's mine
76-914
Thx Gents & poke.gif u 2 Elyutt. All good answers, as usual. Looks like I'm one of the few that haven't gone the 5 lug route. dry.gif Eric, Nice ride. I think it's time for your COTM nomination. Can I get a second? And BigKat, I'm nominating your blue baby next. Wished you lived closer. I'd be at your house once a week stealing ideas. happy11.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 4 2013, 05:03 PM) *

Thx Gents & poke.gif u 2 Elyutt. All good answers, as usual. Looks like I'm one of the few that haven't gone the 5 lug route. dry.gif Eric, Nice ride. I think it's time for your COTM nomination. Can I get a second? And BigKat, I'm nominating your blue baby next. Wished you lived closer. I'd be at your house once a week stealing ideas. happy11.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 4 2013, 11:14 AM) *

Agreed, 5-bolt space saver spare and a $15 walmart 12V air pump.
4-bolt you can use a 4-1/2" X 15" bug rim and a 125-15" temporary spare tire, look in a scrap yard. You could also do this with a early 5 -bolt steel rim.

shades.gif
'73-914kid
Or if you're willing to give up the space in the rear trunk, there is a threaded insert back there. I've had to throw my spare back there for long trip before to fit all my stuff (suitcase, back pack, etc.) to go see my girlfriend. Gives you a ton of room in the front trunk.
rfuerst911sc
Might be a stupid question but any problems welding the spare tire bracket to the bulkhead with the fuel tank in place ? I know you can do short bursts with a mig or any welder for that matter but I know the tank wall is pretty close to the bulkhead.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 4 2013, 02:51 PM) *

Might be a stupid question but any problems welding the spare tire bracket to the bulkhead with the fuel tank in place ? I know you can do short bursts with a mig or any welder for that matter but I know the tank wall is pretty close to the bulkhead.

I would just take the bracket off and lift the tank up about a foot or two and you will be fine! Unless you have the old saturated fuel lines at the bottom of the tank, then you are asking for a fire!!
914itis
Why are these spares requires an air pump? They so not hold the it for long?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 4 2013, 04:06 PM) *
Why are these spares requires an air pump?

Because they don't have air in them. Hence the term "space saver" ....
shades.gif
brant
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 4 2013, 05:06 PM) *

as andy said.
they are collapsable spares
they come deflated to save space
you blow them up when you need them

they equate to something close to 80 a series tire (very tall sidewall) when they are blown up
I've used 15 and 14 inch rims on cars
the 14 inch rim with the 80series sidewall gives you a rolling diameter closer to modern street tires (at least 1 inch closer)
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 4 2013, 02:03 PM) *

If you go to a collapsable spare, I have a wheel adapter you can have so the spare will fit your four lug wheel, since I won't be needing it anymore.
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2013, 10:18 AM) *
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2013, 07:59 AM) *
I agree with half of that. biggrin.gif

The part i don't agree with is the "throwing" since the rear trunk already has a threaded hole for the spare wheel fastener.
shades.gif
A-ha idea.gif ... that's what that threaded hole is for.
914itis
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2013, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 4 2013, 05:06 PM) *

as andy said.
they are collapsable spares
they come deflated to save space
you blow them up when you need them

they equate to something close to 80 a series tire (very tall sidewall) when they are blown up
I've used 15 and 14 inch rims on cars
the 14 inch rim with the 80series sidewall gives you a rolling diameter closer to modern street tires (at least 1 inch closer)

That's too funny . I had one and there was no air on it, I started to put air and it was looking weird, I taught the tire was coming off, something was wrong with it.
I then took it to a tire shop removed the tire and put a regular tire. I always wonder why there was a drain valve. It's in my trunk now as a spare with a regular tire.

Now I feel confused24.gif poke.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 4 2013, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 4 2013, 02:03 PM) *

If you go to a collapsible spare, I have a wheel adapter you can have so the spare will fit your four lug wheel, since I won't be needing it anymore.

I'll take it. I don't know what it is and I've never seen one but it sounds like I'll need 'em! I don't find any of these collapsible spares listed at the usual tire stores. So do these tires come in 14" & 15" sizes and mount to my rim or do they take a special rim? I've read that once inflated these sometimes end up a bit catty wampus.
Elliot Cannon
Check with Bruce Stone. I think he might have one.
914MF
I have a porsche 5 bolt space saver wheel and tire. $50.00 plus shipping.
shoguneagle
I like the thread and think it offers us insight what can be used and how to store it. I do have a space save (five lug) since I have converted everything to the 911.

My question is: Where do you carry the flat normal tire when going to the "fix-it shop". I am running 17inch Cup II rims AND I do not have any room in the rear trunk for storing it. I have the battery and the oil tank in the rear trunk.

Any suggestions???

Steve
Eric_Shea
Roof rack. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Passenger seat. biggrin.gif
moparrob
Here is how I did mine:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Kraftwerk
I think the placement of the stock spare tire, properly inflated, is an intergal part of the frontal collision system.
(Though I have been running w/o a spare for awhile)

Does Vredstien still make the collapsable spare tire? Some of those spare tires are 30 yrs old by now!
euro911
The spare tire and 4 sleeping bags stuffed in the front trunk of my old '68 Bug save my bacon once shades.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Feb 5 2013, 10:26 PM) *

I am running 17inch Cup II...
Steve

I'd fab up something maybe that attached to the targa-top bosses for the ski-racks. Maybe strapped to the trunk at the rear with the wheel on top? Make it collapsible and you could strap the rig in the trunk.

.. but if you have a clutch-type differential, nearly the whole time you're driving with different sized rear wheels left and right, the clutches are wearing as if you're in a constant circle.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914MF @ Feb 5 2013, 09:03 PM) *

That's a good deal I'd snap that up.

I have the aluminium 944 turbo spare, guys are snagging them for 356 outlaw rims and they're reselling them for $1000+ set.
JmuRiz
Yep, I love the look but can't bring myself to spend the money.

I may spring for a collapsable 16" spare for the 914...unless I can find out how to mount one on my current full-size 16" Fuchs spare.
76-914
QUOTE(914MF @ Feb 5 2013, 06:03 PM) *

4 bolt here sad.gif . That is a good deal.
bulitt
IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 6 2013, 06:41 PM) *

IPB Image

I've been wondering about that, also. Maybe it goofs up the tire so that it will not collapse again??
bulitt
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 7 2013, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 6 2013, 06:41 PM) *

IPB Image

I've been wondering about that, also. Maybe it goofs up the tire so that it will not collapse again??

I ran up and down railroad right of way roads for 30 years and got plenty of nails.
This stuff is basically liquid rubber that coats the inside of your tire as you drive sealing the leaks and the propellant inflates the tire. Saved my butt many times. Won't work on large holes, or torn sidewalls. When the Z06 came out in 1999? there was no spare, just a sealer and small 12 compressor.
Jeffs9146
The problem with fix a flat is it ends up all collecting on the bottom of the tire when the car sits for any length of time! Then you have to remove the tire and scrape out the crap and fix the tire the right way!!
Elliot Cannon
If you leave the spare at home and cut a tire, slash a side wall etc. fix a flat won't do you much good.
JmuRiz
That's what my AAA card is for biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Just an FYI, no affiliation, but in the last post of this thread a guy says he has new space saver tires.
15" and 16" tire only.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...saver-tire.html
JmuRiz
Good to know, that might work on my extra 16x6 to allow stock location w/ a small front cooler bottom exit.
Kraftwerk
off topic:
Mo-par Rob can you tell me about your fuel pump? Is there a thread about it?

jt
moparrob
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Feb 10 2013, 11:22 PM) *

off topic:
Mo-par Rob can you tell me about your fuel pump? Is there a thread about it?

jt

I did post this some time ago:

fuel system link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.