Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw505
What size and type of after market steering wheels are you guys using. I need a smaller one as it hard to get into the car with the big stock one. Any pics you have of an after market one would help.
pcar916
I have had a 350mm (actually 356mm) Momo Veloce wheel that came with the car in 1994. It'll never die and is comfortable as well. I'm pretty sure it was the most modest of their wheels and probably $150 - $175 or so. Here's an ad to a place that still has them in both 330mm and 350mm, but I'm sure used ones can be found now and then.

Click to view attachment

http://www.nengun.com/momo/veloce

and Pelican has a bunch of them. Looks like they call it the MOD 78 or Monte Carlo now. Can't tell the difference in the two.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...whel-detail.htm

You could consider a removable steering hub and just remove the wheel to get in and out of the car easier. It also makes under-dash work easier since you don't have to go through the normal procedure. Three things about them.

1. You will have to add a horn button unless one comes with the wheel like the Pelican wheels.
2. You'll have to watch out for friends who hide your wheel occasionally... trust me on this. They will do it now and then.
3. They're expensive, but might be usable with the wheel you have now. RTFM
4. They are "not approved for street cars" but good ones are bullet-proof. I don't know that any state laws actually prohibit them, but I've never looked that up. RTFM

Mine came from Smart Racing, but you'll have to call Jerry Woods for it these days. Pelican has a couple of them...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...MISCLL_pg11.htm

I have a 92mm (roughly 3.5in) extension behind it to place it close to me where it's comfortable during long drives and the drop is immediate to my shifter. But that's only practical when the wheel is removable. The closer positioning is truly a huge help in curbing driver fatigue that translates directly into safety. There's one more benefit as well.

An extension is a wonderful thing even when it's smaller than mine since it also keeps you from turning on the wipers and turn signals by mistake during "dramatic" turning events.

But then lots of this is a bit OT isn't it?

Good luck

GeorgeRud
I have a Momo Monte Carlo on one car, and a Personal Fitti wheel on the other. Both seem to help make more room than the stock wheel.

Has anyone used one of the 'flat bottomed' wheels on their street car? That would also free up some room to get in and out, but I don't know how they feel on a street car.
reharvey
I've got a Luisi wheel on my black car. Think it's 13in. in dia.
Valy
I went back to stock as all aftermarket wheel obscure the instruments.
pcar916
QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 6 2013, 04:54 PM) *

When I looked at the Pelican site earlier there was an "offset" adapter that positioned the wheel higher for that reason. It requires an aftermarket wheel. Can't report on it since I've never seen one. It's on the link for Pelican above.
dlkawashima
Old shot of interior (when I first got the car) with Momo Prototipo. Sorry, forgot to straighten wheel for the pic ..... details. New Prototipo steering wheels are 350mm diameter, but mine is an old one that has a diameter of 370mm.

Click to view attachment
edwin
I have a prototipo and the offset adapter. Works well
reharvey
QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 6 2013, 04:54 PM) *

This is true agree.gif
Mike Bellis
I was running a 911 wheel with quick disconnect... Now I'm running a 2001 Passat wheel... Soon I will be running a 2007 Cayman wheel...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

IPB Image
RON S.
I have a 365mm Personal Wheel. It's probably 30-40 years old.
The real item to have is the Tecniq's quick disconnect hub adapter.

It really is a good unit, and he horn still works.

That way you can just pop the wheel on and off when you get in or out.. biggrin.gif
somd914
I use a Momo Race 350 MM. I need to add an additional spacer to the hub as the wheel is too close to the control stocks in my opinion. Still can be a tight squeeze to get in and out depending on seat tilt.

Click to view attachment
DBCooper
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 6 2013, 09:00 AM) *

I have a 92mm (roughly 3.5in) extension behind it to place it close to me where it's comfortable during long drives and the drop is immediate to my shifter. But that's only practical when the wheel is removable. The closer positioning is truly a huge help in curbing driver fatigue that translates directly into safety. There's one more benefit as well.

An extension is a wonderful thing even when it's smaller than mine since it also keeps you from turning on the wipers and turn signals by mistake during "dramatic" turning events.

+1 on all those points, plus it gives you a better angle for leverage when driving hard. I wasn't aware anyone else had done the same, so good thinking! You've also done me the favor of now being able to stop thinking that since it's just me suspect I'm somehow wrong. So thanks.

Madswede
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 6 2013, 06:07 PM) *

I use a Momo Race 350 MM. I need to add an additional spacer to the hub as the wheel is too close to the control stocks in my opinion. Still can be a tight squeeze to get in and out depending on seat tilt.

Mine's very similar apparently the same one ... Momo Champion 350mm is mine. No spacer yet, gonna drive it for a bit to see how it works before deciding on any changes. I'm 6'3" with most of my height coming from long limbs, so I can always reach a steering wheel with little discomfort, though getting legs past the wheel is, and always will be, a bit of an issue for me. We'll see. This pic is from Tropical Ramble '12 which shows the car prior to completion with respect to the interior.
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
I'm running this 330mm wood momo wheel and shift knob combo. The diameter feels perfect. My left elbow rests perfect on the armrest while cruising. Stalk controls right at my finger tips. No problems with Egress Ingress.

driving.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I had a Veloce on the Teener when I received the car;

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

This Momo is on there now;

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
turk22
Me likey! wub.gif

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Feb 7 2013, 06:28 PM) *

I'm running this 330mm wood momo wheel and shift knob combo. The diameter feels perfect. My left elbow rests perfect on the armrest while cruising. Stalk controls right at my finger tips. No problems with Egress Ingress.

driving.gif

vw505
Thanks, I see 350mm looks about the common size. It also seams as though it needs a little bit of dish to clear the turn signals.
vw505
What adapter do I need to put a Grant wheel on a 73.
finchmunoz
Click to view attachment

E. Nardi...
914itis
Mine
reharvey
This is a 14" Luisi. I woudn't go any smaller than this. Ray
'73-914kid
Over the past 4 years of daily driving my car, I've gone through 3, yes 3 MOMO steering wheels, and finally settled on my ABSOLUTE favorite, courtesy of a good friend. All of them have been 350mm wheels.
This was the wheel my car came with, and to be honest, it was the most comfortable for hand position, and such, but I didn't feel it matched the vintage racer theme I was going for in my car
IPB Image

This one wasn't really a MOMO indy wheel, but it was more like a wooden Prototipo. I do regret selling this one off, as it was an awesome wall hangar, but needed the money to buy my current prototipo.
IPB Image

My absolute favorite steering wheel in the history of mankind is my Prototipo, which I'll have to take a picture of tomorrow. Yes, I know it's a steering wheel, but I'm weird like that. It's dated 1978, and has a worn-in feeling like an old pair of boots. I think Magnus Walker has a similar fascination with vintage Leather steering wheels..
HarveyH
Dino

Click to view attachment

Looks nice but seems a little thin to me so I'm thinking of trying a leather or padded poly wheel. Of course I've been thinking this for about 15 years so we'll see...

Harvey
JmuRiz
Cool Dino, I have a small diameter black one in the same style. That wheel would look sweet in a long-hood 911!
Robert21
smile.gif Love my DINO
RickS
Click to view attachment

some Italian jobby.... cost mucho lira... 360 mm

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.