Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
I have a 71 that came with no horn pad on the steering wheel. I have a momo wheel and momo hub adapter, but i bought those when my project involved a 72! so now i cant use the hub adapter and therefore also cant use the momo wheel (for now)

So coming out of the wheel is one wire, which i imagine is the horn wire. I have a button (pictured below) i want to rig to the steering wheel. I know the wire currently coming out of the wheel will go to one terminal, but where should the other terminal be connected? grounded on the wheel??

Thanks for the help

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Under you steering column, there is a brown w/white stripe wire. If you ground it, the horn will honk. Assuming the system is functional...
dfelz
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 6 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Under you steering column, there is a brown w/white stripe wire. If you ground it, the horn will honk. Assuming the system is functional...

Found it! now working on wiring it up.
Thanks
dfelz
Got it sorted out in only two attempts. First attempt left the horn always on once the key was turned, haha, oops. Second attempt involved heat shrink and no short circuiting. had one terminal on the button go to the brown/white wire, and the other terminal was grounded to the chasis through one of the four screws that attach the plastic housing to the wheel center. Had to drill out the horn hole a little bit to fit the button through from the backside. Since it was mostly aluminum, it went smoothly like butter biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help!

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.