Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor pans and long at once
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
One of the POs of my 914 decided to stick weld the passenger side floor pan in, it looks like crap. The inner and outer firewall were also fixed with this method, except that rust was cut out, and a shitty scab plate was welded over the vacancy. The hell hole received similar treatment. Since part of the floor pan in my car has to be pulled away to fix the inner rocker, I was thinking about taking the entire floor pan out at the same time. Then I got to thinking that with the hols in the long and rockers, and no floor pan, my car might just collapse. What do you all think?
type11969
anyone got a guess?
Jeroen
You need a jig
Better yet, get a decent roller rolleyes.gif
echocanyons
Good insurance would be to brace the longs and/or the doors just in case.
SpecialK
Check this post out!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=2&t=16748

Okay, you're up Brad....(it's like deja vu all over again... blink.gif )
type11969
Thanks for that link, but I've read, and re-read that post a number of times. No floor pan removal in it. Michelko was helpful with taking pictures of his door brace for me though.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I am already planning on bracing the door, I guess I should have asked if bracing for the floor pan would be necessary too. Sounds like I should. And I should have mentioned that I refuse to admit defeat on this car, I am going to fix it.

-Chris
ChrisFoley
Are you planning to remove the entire floor pan?
How about just cutting away the part you need to, in order to repair the rocker. Then when that is done cut the rest of the floor out and replace.
As long as the car is well supported and the doors are braced you should be fine.
type11969
I was thinking about doing that, but the passenger floor pan half itself is in good shape since it was obviously replaced, so I wanted to try to avoid cutting it up.

I'm thinking that I will weld in some angles from the center hump to the inner rocker, then pulling the floor out. That, along with the door brace, should keep things rigid. Let me know if that is a horrible idea.

-Chris
Bleyseng
If you put in a door brace and the long is braced and solid remove all the pans. Just replace them will new parts as you will be way ahead instead of hacking in some new patch pieces. Since the pan just welds onto the longs and bulkhead its easy to do. Long repairs are a different ballgame...

Geoff
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 14 2004, 01:27 PM)
its easy to do

relatively speaking.
There are still about two hundred fifty factory welds to drill out to replace the entire pan.
GWN7
If you brace the doors (top and bottom) and use about 8 jackstands (4 at each end). You should be ok. Do one side at a time.

Bracing the door top and bottom will stop the car from spreading either way and the extra jack stands will insure there is no movement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.