Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A bit of backfire...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Well, I finished the valve adjustment last weekend, and put the valve covers on today. The last valve adjustment I did was... lacking. blink.gif

I started and ran the car for the first time in quite a while. No clackity-clack of my formerly misadjusted valves! It purred, like a sewing machine! tunez.gif

I do, however, have a bit of a backfire. Stock, carbed /6... car is still on jackstands, so I haven't driven it yet. Bursch headers. No apparent exhaust leaks. Once the engine is warmed up, the backfire isn't on deceleration.

Any thoughts?

-Rusty smoke.gif
J P Stein
Out the tail pipe or out the carbs?
Rusty
Tailpipe... and when it happens, it's a loud pop. I don't think the carbs are sneezing.
GWN7
Did you retime it? I always thought it was valve adjust, set timing, fiddle with carbs....
Joe Bob
Pop on decel? Exhaust leak...
Rusty
Not on decel. I need to do timing, you're right.
Trekkor
The car has been sitting in storage for some time, right?
Why would it go out of time?

I thought you had some water damage issues.
Any chance of codensation attacking the motor internally and causing valves to schtick.

Can't you run it for 10,20,30 mins and see if it smooths out? confused24.gif

Does anyone run engine flush?

KT
Rusty
Yep, it was sitting, but the gas is 10 months old... despite being well treated wtih Stabil. It may just be older fuel.

It certainly ran much better after running for a while. I'm going to try and do an Italian tune-up if the weather is good tomorrow.

It's had 2 oil changes in the last 10 miles.

-Rusty smoke.gif
redshift
Rusty, change out that fuel, pronto!

Let's not muck it up... I SAID MUCK!

smile.gif

Drain it, replace it..

M
GWN7
you could drain it down and add some carb cleaner to about 2 gals of fresh gas.....let it run and see how it is afterwards
Trekkor
Yes, good. Run a can of that Berryman's carb cleaner/water remover/FI treatment.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.