Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my dad loosing his mind?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
We went to look at a 1964 corvair today, 61k actual miles, 4spd, 3rd owner. Re-spray an unknown # of yrs ago, newer roof, unknown # of yrs ago, original interior, black roof and interior on red exterior. Some flaws in the paint, scratches, nicks. I couldn't find a bit of rust on it. Really. What you see is what the car is. Panel gaps are good, with exception of drivers door, which closes hard. ? if the chrome trim on the door is getting in the way, or if the door just needs an adjustment. Or does this point to something more? A little oil on the engine/trans, has a "nader bar" installed. Started on one crank, clutch was smooth, brakes soft. Was converted to dual master cyl, and blade style fuses. Had a groovy 8 track player, OEM radio is included. OEM jack and washer fluid bottle are there! What does anyone think about the condition, what do I need to look for if we go back, and value?
ottox914
more pics- paint flaws, newer roof, cut to roof, good back window.
JamesM
I wonder what all the spray bedliner is hiding. My first 914 had that in the rear trunk... it was not pretty under
ottox914
more pics, engine/suspension, interior.
sixnotfour
1964 corviars came stock with the transverse leaf spring, as they went to really soft rear coils, and all the leaf does is hold it up to ride height. No effect on roll stiffness.
I had a 64 Spyder coupe. In High School
zymurgist
'64s have swing axle transaxles, '65s went to the Corvette style half shafts.
gandalf_025
From what I remember.. early cars.. pre 65 tended to tuck in
the rear wheels in real hard corners, like early VW's.
Not sure if that was fixed by 64
Also something about steering box hanging out past the front
crossmember and being an issue in a head on collision..
As in non collapsing steering column

Most parts available at Clarks Corvair Parts.. and prices
are nothing like Porsche..

Find a turbo motor and have some fun...

I have only owned 65 and up Turbo's... A lot of fun..
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

My first wife had a 63, 90 hp, I drove it flat out from Daytonia Beach to N.W. Ohio

burnt up a set of valves. But it was usual to do a set twice a yr. anyway. That was

before they put in Stelite ( sp ) faced valves. Run a compression check,asap.

As for the paint , it,s checking do to way to much paint. It needs to be taken down

to bare metal !

There was a Black 64 for sale in our town, $5,000.00 i tryed to buy it but was to late.

NOTHING will replace a 914, but It mite be a nice car to own. All depends on

PRICE !!!

Get in the trunk and underneath with a ice pick, compression check, figure a good

repaint,and bodywork + 15 0/0 for what you missed. Then let your conscience and

Wallet be your guide ! Dave slap.gif
ephillippe
I've had two Corvair Monza's before the 914 (One a hardtop and one a conv)

They're fun, easy to work on and like its been said, the part prices will bring a smile to your face. The flat sixes sound cool and this guy has already upgraded the old generator to a modern alternator.

He should go for it! smile.gif
ottox914
So what I have so far is the front trunk finish looks more like bedliner than anything from the factory, so warning sign there, and the engines/valves can burn up, so leakdown and compression check would be a reasonable thing to do as a next step if we really are interested, and that the paint cracking is a poor prior paint job, not for sure an indication of plastic in the body. I gave it the "thump" test, rapping on it with a knuckle in that area, and the tone didn't change, so I'm thinking it actually IS metal under there.

Any other warning signs to be looking out for specific to this car? Can I use the magnet test on the front trunk, or will all that bedliner- if thats what it is, get in the way?

Oh, and price. The owner made it very clear his price was cast in iron, firm, pay me or hit the road at $6500. He showed us an "auto trader" style rag that has this car listed at 7300 from a year ago, when he purchased it from the 2nd owner. Idea was a fun car for his wife, but she does not like manual trans cars. She fell in love with this one, but couldn't get past the trans. From the for sale add to our visit, the car had about 1500 miles added to it in one year.

Now what does anyone think?
zymurgist
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Feb 7 2013, 07:57 PM) *

From what I remember.. early cars.. pre 65 tended to tuck in
the rear wheels in real hard corners, like early VW's.
Not sure if that was fixed by 64

It wasn't.
Peashooter
The car looks to be in decent shape. Verts always bring more cash. The trunk may have been painted over, maybe not. That was what they looked like when new. I've had a bunch of Corvairs over the years. Loved them. That one has leaking pushrod tubes, real common but real easy to fix also. 64's are a good year, the looks of the original design, but the larger 2.7 liter engine and improved suspension. They sound great with a nice set of dual exhausts and the motor bottom end is really strong.
rick 918-S
I've owned several Corvairs. I had a 61 Fawn coupe auto, a 62 4 door auto, a 63 Spyder110 manual vert, and a 64 140 manual. From our phone call. go through the brakes and fix the push rod seals. All else should be fine for a 82 yr old guy to drive Ms Daisy to the DQ.

The cracks in the paint look like old glazing putty cracks. The trunk pan looks like it had been patched. The finish is called Zolatone. It was always rough. The trunk was spot repaired/repainted. You can tell by the overspray on the head light bucket and the wire harness. The fuse panel has bee changed. These are not the worse things that can happen. It's typical of a hobbyist rebuild. Lets see if we can connect and I will go down with you if you want and we'll look at it. But overall it's a driver level car. $ 5,500.00 is not too much. Sorry the last guy over paid but that's not your fault.
Tom_T
Classic Motorsports Magazine has been doing a series on a rolling resto on a convertable like this one. Go read the online articles posted at the link below from past issues (the latest one may not be up yet). They list a scad of resources for `vair parts, clubs, etc. where you can get really good info, parts, etc.

http://classicmotorsports.net/

BTW - Nader's book & claims were debunked by a "real" scientific study by NHTSA & several engineering testing orgs. decades ago, so Ralpie's reputation is based on....nothing but falsehoods!

My Great-Aunt got a new white/blue `62 Coupe after my Great-uncle died, & she drove the crap out of it summer, fall, spring & on the snowy/icy steep hills in Pittsburgh PA winters with nary a problem.

My Dad bought a 63 Greenbriar van just before we moved from PA to San Diego for his new job. It did burn valves on the way in TX, but the warranty covered the new/better valves mentioned above, then he used it as a DD + an annual trip back to PA in hot summer with nary a problem, up to 67 when he got a Chevy pick-up with a bigger camper for the now growing 6 kids. He'd have kept the van if he didn't need the trade-in.

I almost bought a couple of used 65-69 Corvair Monza/Corsa w/ either normal Carbs & Turbos in fall `69 for my first car (I preferred the late body style), but most had been heavily thrashed by the PO's in my limited budget, so I ended up with a more lightly used Opel Kadette. I'd probably have kept a Corvair!

Good Luck - they're great little cars! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm thinking Turbo WRX all wheel drive. Flipped diffs. auto cross car... idea.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 8 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I'm thinking Turbo WRX all wheel drive. Flipped diffs. auto cross car... idea.gif

You are a very sick man and a bad influence.

I like that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.