Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Housing Vibration....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
I am a mechanical novice and after changing seals and the fan I have now re-installed and now find a vibration from the fan housing..!!! I was careful to tighten up as per Haynes etc. I did however replace fan for an earlier fan with conical middle and allen bolts....Would that make a difference?
yeahmag
The fan is typically part of the rotating assembly balance job. If you swapped out fans you probably introduced and imbalanced part in to the rotating assembly. Put the old fan back and see if it goes away.
ArtechnikA
with luck, it's just sucked in a paper towel you forgot about...
lennyhope
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 8 2013, 08:31 PM) *

with luck, it's just sucked in a paper towel you forgot about...

Taken tin ware off and alternator.....Seems i have the fan located wrong
TheCabinetmaker
Please elaborate on " located wrong"
914itis
confused24.gif
euro911
A lot of folks take their fans apart (remove the pulley from the fan to clean, blast and paint) and put it back together without realizing that it was originally balanced at the factory. I've been guilty of doing that ... once shades.gif

If one wants to take a fan apart, always mark both pieces beforehand so it goes back together in the same exact position. Maybe that's what happened to the 'new' fan you installed confused24.gif
yeahmag
It should have a dowel and key to keep it indexed. Not sure how that happened...
Kirmizi
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 8 2013, 04:40 PM) *

A lot of folks take their fans apart (remove the pulley from the fan to clean, blast and paint) and put it back together without realizing that it was originally balanced at the factory. I've been guilty of doing that ... once shades.gif

If one wants to take a fan apart, always mark both pieces beforehand so it goes back together in the same exact position. Maybe that's what happened to the 'new' fan you installed confused24.gif

Did you have trouble setting your timing afterwards? blink.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.