Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Otto takes his tools and has Moved on.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
campbellcj
A very common sight out at Willow Springs for many years. This was 2001.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Is that Jenny in that pic?
bcheney
I never spoke to John but know how he touched so many lives. RIP Sir...heaven has another fine man.
Cap'n Krusty
Anyone heard yet about the date and time for the memorial event?

The Cap'n
campbellcj
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 16 2013, 07:09 PM) *

Anyone heard yet about the date and time for the memorial event?

The Cap'n

I heard via Laurie @ POC that he wanted to have his ashes spread at Willow Springs. (That doesn't surprise me as he clearly viewed that place as home away from home and I vaguely recall him saying the same thing to me, years ago.) She said that might be scheduled to coincide with the event there next weekend, but I have not heard anything official.
Jeff Hail
The journey takes us to many places. Sometimes face to face, an emailer or just a screen name.

I never knew "Otto" as the joke will always be told but I knew John over the years even if it was an infrequent visit or run in, an email or phone call. I still speak to the guys at the shop when one of my customers cars ends up there.

First time I met John I was riding shotgun for the day with a friend who was having John do some work for him. We roll in and my introduction with John started right fast with a verbal tango. My friend intoduces me to John then I ask who's Otto? John quickly replys we don't have any auto's here just Porsche's with a grin. I'm caught off guard for a moment and then John says have you met Rudy, he's a friend of Ottos.

That was a long time ago. Friends don't say goodbye, they just say later.
campbellcj
Sorry if this was already posted above but I don't think so. Really good bio with a lot of vintage photos:

http://www.yovenice.com/2013/02/10/rip-john-otto-williamson/

Steve
I had my first Cuba Lbre tonight in Otto's honor. It's actually pretty good. What particular white rum did he like?
sixnotfour
He told me he had bought property at Willows, but didn't work out and sold it.....
76-914
Is this the same guy I bought my rear trunk panel piece from off the 5 in LA?
Sounds like him. When I got there they're were 3 of them against his office wall. I grabbed the first one which had a bend on the back corner. That part gets trimmed off anyway but he wouldn't have it. Chastised me for grabbing the bent one and handed me the straight one. He seemed pretty set in his ways so I just said "Yes sir." RIP. Not enough of those kind around anymore.
Cap'n Krusty
Otto's is in Venice, 3-4 blocks from the beach, the 5 runs through East LA. Maybe 20 miles away. Even the 405 is 4-5 miles from the shop.

The Cap'n
914-300Hemi
RIP John.
Black22
Just drove by Otto's place. Just drove by, as I'm on duty and couldn't stop in.

As of 3:15 today it is still open for business! Sure hope it stays that way for everyone there and here.
Black22
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 17 2013, 08:16 AM) *

Otto's is in Venice, 3-4 blocks from the beach, the 5 runs through East LA. Maybe 20 miles away. Even the 405 is 4-5 miles from the shop.

The Cap'n

703/707 Hampton Dr. Venice, CA.

703 for Beach Boys
707 for Otto's
Cap'n Krusty
I spoke with them at lunchtime today. They're in a holding pattern until the bureaucrats are done doing what they do. They assured me it'll be all over here and Pelican, as well as other sites. once plans are made. It will do NO GOOD to pester them. I believe the company will go forward, as Otto was in the process of moving on into retirement, or so he repeatedly told me over the last year or so.

The Cap'n
sixnotfour
Just came across this in the archives, Off a wreck I bought 1980.
RIP OTTO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.