Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Otto takes his tools and has Moved on.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Heeltoe914
I just got word that a Great Driver, A 914 enthusiast who truly lived and breathed 914s, 911s and the Porsche dream has passed. My friend John Williamson.
We all know the knowledge and creations of John. I can truly smile at some of the things I remember him for. I was a 20 year kid going to school in West Los Angeles, I wanted so much to get into 914s. But I had the below average college funding. I found a $1000 non-running 914 and needed some advise to get it going. I found John, AKA; OTTO. First thing he said to me was "take the motor out bring it in we will look at it". I said "I don't have that kind of money!"
Before I could say another word he put a book in my hand and ask me what kind of work can I do. I said I do construction. The next week I bring the motor in and before I can even go take a piss he had the heads off. I said "Whoa! Stop I cant afford this."
Anyone who knew Otto will agree that it does not matter what you say, he is going to do it his way. From that day he showed me all the little tricks on how to do 914 motors. Never did I pay anything, but blood and sweat, working around his shop from time to time.
Fast forward 30 years later, I will miss the great conversation on racing and the personal trust that him and I had. I hope that like me, several of you will understand this loss to the Porsche world. But know like me, that they must have needed a mechanic in heaven.

R.I.P - John Williamson 2-8-13.

Plans are to have ashes spread at Willow springs Details as thay develop.

Enjoyable Reads;

http://www.yovenice.com/2013/02/10/rip-john-otto-williamson/

Real sorry to hear that. John was definetly a character (meant in a good way). Always enjoyed talking to him. He got me out of a bind with my 1st 914 too. A few of the local shops couldn't figure out why the car was running so poorly after warm up. Dropped it off Ottos, got a call an hour later. "Your heads are put on wrong and temp sensor is just hanging there." Problem solved.
RIP John
brant
thank you for the news.
I'm sorry to hear it though
I never met John in person
but did have a few good phone calls with him over the last 15 years

sad to hear it.
sixnotfour
RIP OTTO
Glad I got to meet him and BS with him at a few events.

One of a kind.
JRust
RIP brother sad.gif . Sad news to be sure. Met Otto a couple times through the years. A little quirky but what teener isn't
Chris H.
"Otto's Venice" Otto? Well that sucks. Nice guy. He sold me my re-chromed rear bumper for $15 with $350 shipping. Does that sound like him or what? RIP John...
Elliot Cannon
I sat next to him at the breakfast just befor the 2005 WCC. I think he got kinda tired of all the questions. RIP sad.gif
Jeffs9146
"Otto's Venice" Otto? Well that sucks. Nice guy.

If it is Otto's Venice then I met him in 1979 when he replaced my clutch on my first 914!!

Sorry to hear!!

Here is a photo of the car he worked on back then!
SLITS
Godspeed John ... one hell of a person & racer.
ejm
RIP John. Real nice guy. Gave Jen and I a tour of his shop when we were out for WCC05. She happened to call while I was reading this thread. Had a good laugh with her retelling how John took her out on the Streets of Willow in his green 914. Passing cars with twice the hp and putting his cigar in the ashtray when he needed both hands on the wheel. He was one of a kind and will be missed.
Click to view attachment
Michelj13
Sorry to hear that John has passed. He was a character for sure and shared his knowledge and love for Porsches. And, did I say he was a character smile.gif

I got a few hard to find parts from his shop. He would say, 'Go back there and find what you need and we'll figure out a price later" He was always reasonable.

He could drive too. I saw him get FTD at a few POC events.

RIP John
GaroldShaffer
Never met him in person, but talked a few times on the phone.

RIP John
GeorgeRud
R.I.P. John

I first talked to him years ago when I wanted to start my conversion. He sent the parts that I needed, with the instructions to send him a check if I liked them, or send them back if they weren't what I needed. Unheard of these days!

He truly did enjoy being a bit offbeat, but his knowledge and and help will never be forgotten by this enthusiast. I really enjoyed having had the opportunity to converse and visit with him when we were out in Venice.

He was one of a kind and will be missed.
Maltese Falcon
John and I would always come up with some joke about cars.
The 912e, we nicknamed the Stuttgart Edsel !
I will surely miss JW
Marty
Black22
sad.gif
Michael N
I had the pleasure of having Otto show me the lines of the track during WCC 05 at The Streets of Willows. What a character. He to this day has driven my car faster than I ever have. Scared the crap out of me but was in control all the time. Really cool that he came with headsets to instruct and loads of knowledge. Otto chasing down Siverson's orange beauty scared the living crap out of me.

R.I.P.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
John was a great guy.. He talked with my kind of humor.When parts were needed he would point you to the loft,find them and bring them down..Otto worked on my "four"over the years .He Really new 914's.Rest In Peace my friend..
SirAndy
sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Spanky's gone? I am pretty much stunned. I worked with him off and on, he got me into P-car school, and we've talked on the phone many times over the years. My kids will be shocked, too.

Bye, Otto! May your trunk be always filled with beer, or maybe Cuba Libres, and may you always be on the line ............................. We'll miss you.

BTW, he got me started in this biz, befriending me when I couldn't get a job after I got out of the AF, getting the dealership where he worked to sponsor me at school, showing me how to get around Willow in my Speedster, letting me crew for him at the Laguna Parade in the 70s, and helping me get a job at Porschop when I was ready to leave the dealership.

The Cap'n
SUNAB914
Is this the same Otto that was a retired Marine? If so he had me laughing over the phone so hard with old Marine stories.
RIP and Semper Fi old friend!
euro911
sad.gif

Rest in peace, John ...
914Sixer
Man, I hate to hear John is gone. He was a one of a kind and a really nice person.
nathansnathan
I'll never forget the time my girlfriend and I stopped by there when I was first looking for a bus. I probably should have bought the split with a seized engine for 3k, like he said - I think I'd do it in a minute now, 8 years later. He had me on the phone with a guy with a bay westy but I didn't want a full pop top. That was the first day I ever drove a bus, the day I met Otto, an 18 window that squeeked like crazy as I remember... biggrin.gif thanks, Otto for the memory.
Steve
I am so bummed... JW did a lot of work on my car and I have known him for years. I played pit crew for him in AZ over 15 years ago. He always spoke his mind. His work was always the best. I am curious if he turned his shop over to his head mechanic that was there forever.
sad.gif
sixnotfour
OttO and then girl friend Ann Tomlison ? were prepping their 914-6 for the parade concourse, as he was Q tipping the -6 he talked for a longtime about days gone by, priceless....He is the guy who told me about the 914-6,s that got scrapped... I believe after the Celebrity race at California Speedway, The Parade autocross, John 1st the fight was for second, The guy was smooth on the track...Godspeed
Krieger
I learned a lot from that guy. He always had great advice. He built transmissions for all three of the Porsches Ive had over the years going back to 1990. I loved all the photos and awards he had in his shop. He had some good stories about then when I asked. Thanks John! You will be missed. RIP...
socalstuttgart
I've known John since I was 14, he will truly be missed.
moparrob
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 8 2013, 02:17 PM) *

R.I.P. John

I first talked to him years ago when I wanted to start my conversion. He sent the parts that I needed, with the instructions to send him a check if I liked them, or send them back if they weren't what I needed. Unheard of these days!

He truly did enjoy being a bit offbeat, but his knowledge and and help will never be forgotten by this enthusiast. I really enjoyed having had the opportunity to converse and visit with him when we were out in Venice.

agree.gif

I met him 3 years ago when I got my car and was planning the 6 conversion. He spent 30 minutes with me going through my plan and sold me a few hard to find parts on the cheap.

Definitely a big loss to the community. sad.gif
RIP
Robert21
Click to view attachment I went to John after the engine that i had rebulit was crap. John bulit the engine i have now its been 8 years and its still going strong. He would tell like he saw it . yelled alot but would give great advice. 914 world will miss a great guy that loved 914.
rick 918-S
Sandy and I spent some time with him sipping beers in the pavilion watching vintage racing at Willow WCR 05. He had lots of stories and told them with dry humor. We really enjoyed the time. RIP Otto.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I think this is the ride he Gave Ed daughter Jenn Got a little too hot!

Click to view attachment
ruby914
So sorry to hear this. sad.gif
I met Otto when I took the Ruby914 to Beachboys to be painted.
As soon as he heard my car, he said "sounds like you have a small exhaust leak". It did and it was small. How did he hear that over the valves? confused24.gif
Just like others have said, he showed me around his shop pray.gif offered to dig up some hard to find parts...Great guy.
I didn't know his name was John. Wish I knew him better.

RIP Otto.
eitnurg
Turned up from Oz straight from the airport, didn't even know what day it was. As it turned out to be Friday and I was holding folding he did an excellent deal on a nos 914/6 oil tank. He wrapped it up and made some tape handles so I could hand-carry it on a flight to London. Top bloke.
914ltd
On the track or on the rack, Otto knew what a 914 is all about.
A loss to the community. Brad Mayeur
EdwardBlume
RIP Otto. Thanks for making these little cars a bit more fun for all of us. aktion035.gif
jeeperjohn56
R.I.P. John we'll miss you driving.gif
sixnotfour
As others mentioned His send me a check after you get the part, Was Unheard of, Although if you knew him I don't think anyone would ever not send him a check.

RIP
Gint
I never met him or talked to him, but it sounds like we would have gotten along just fine. RIP sir.
TC 914-8
RIP Otto, As I grew up in the LA area I knew of him and his cars, Never had the pleasure of meeting him sad.gif sad.gif
J P Stein
John helped me with my 6 conversion. These were pre-Internet times and a phone was the tool....never got to met him in person.

Getting old sux, but it gets worser....

RIP, John
Cap'n Krusty
Went to dinner, had my Cuba Libre in Spanky's honor and memory, and I'm home just thinking about the good times. Again, farewell, friend ........................

The Cap'n
campbellcj
Wow, that is some sad news. John helped me with several cars going back 15 years or more, and I have seen him fairly regularly as he often ate lunch near my office in Santa Monica. He built the kick-a$$ transmission and oil cooling system in my current 914 in 2003 and they have endured countless track events. He was one of my first instructors in POC as well -- probably to blame for getting me hooked -- and at that time was winning TTOD consistently in the short-track events, driving his SCCA GT-2 car "Rudy".

Some found his personality 'polarizing' but he truly knew and loved his trade and our 914 cars in particular - no one can deny that.

RIP, Otto.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 8 2013, 02:17 PM) *

R.I.P. John

He did the same with me about 6 months ago. I contacted him about a rear trunk floor & gave him my address for a shipping quote. Two days later The panel was delivered with instructions to send a check or return the panel if I didn't like it. Otto was an awesome guy! RIP!!!!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentOne of my favorite pictures of John, with the #6 917-30 Sunoco car.
I think this was back in the Otis Chandler /Vintage Racing days. It was hanging in his office and he knew that I liked it. So he made me a copy and signed it. It hangs in my garage and I glance at it as I pass by throughout the day. Our mutual friendship through the decades will be missed.
Have a safe journey John.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentJohn out in front of the pack in a SCCA race at Riverside Int'l. Raceway, turn 6 after the esses. This was late 70's. He was in a stock class 914 2.0 type 4. He would often play bumper tag with the 914 (now seen ) behind him .
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentInstructor John with my son Matthew at the Streets of Willow. Up on the left front and hauling that little type 4 to 1.32 lap times. John showed me the quick way around Riverside in my early type 4 turbos as well.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentSo long John...our family will dearly miss you. God bless you.
jasons
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 9 2013, 09:58 AM) *

As others mentioned His send me a check after you get the part, Was Unheard of, Although if you knew him I don't think anyone would ever not send him a check.

RIP

He had FI points long after they were NLA. He sold them to me at normal retail price (not based on their rarity) and the check when I got them was the payment policy. We traded life stories on the phone at the same time. Not many like him anymore...

Steve
More information on Otto and a really good article on him.
http://www.yovenice.com/2013/02/10/rip-john-otto-williamson/

Click to view attachment
championgt1
RIP! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.