Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: H4 headlight upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I put in the Hella H4 headlight conversion and its awesome. BUT Im worried too many amps will run through the switch. Does anyone have a schematic on how to put in relays to offset the load through the switch?
Tom_T
There's a 914 hi-powered H4 kit out there from AA, Automotion/PP/Ecklers, etc. - with the schematic. Otherwise Jeff Bowlsby's harness resto website may have a schematic.
scotty b
I'm curious from the guyus that do more mechanical work than I do, if you have ever seen this be an issue ? I have had H4's in both a 924 and now my 944 with no relay, I've installed them in a couple of 911's with no relay and never had an issue. Maybe the later cars have better wiring ? Maybe I've just been lucky ? Maybe this is just one of those " I read it on the internet so it has to be true" things ? confused24.gif
Cairo94507
I recall in my last 914-6 that when I put H4's in it the switch and wiring got warm. I ended up installing a relay and problem solved. Switch and wires never got warm again. I would recommend one just to be safe.
'73-914kid
I think youd probably get away with the 60/55w bulbs without a relay, but keep in mind that these cars are getting pretty old, and the wiring is getting oxidized.. adding a relay really is an easy thing to do... plus, it allows you to run the high 90/100w halogen bulbs without the risk of damaging wires..

I have a set of euro h4's and the higher output halogen lamps on order from bus depot along with the relays. I'll let you know how it goes once theyre installed..
carr914
Check with jWest, they have a Relay Kit of 911 H4
Tom
Susquehanna Motorsports has those.
Tom
Cairo94507
OH, I was running the 90/100 bulbs. Forgot all about that.
Luke M
Hope these help..
larryM

did it yrs ago - running 90/100 bulbs - yes you will burn up the oem switch in due time

- you need to go buy this harness kit - $29.95

H4 upgrade harness

also available at myriad other vendors - i get mine from Victoria British

type2man
I just finished installing H4's with HID bulbs in my 1960 VW singlecab. I originally had sealed beams and my headlight switch was hot to the touch. The HID kit came with 35 watt bulbs and now my headlight switch is only warm. The difference with HID's is incredible and they draw less power. I bough them for $60. Well worth the price.

Patrick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.