Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed AA's windhield top seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
After getting the Zambezi Green car back from Scottyb's I decided that I wasn't happy with the fit of the replacement windshield top seal. The factory seal has a piece of metal in it that helps clamp the seal to the windshield frame. The replacement that I had does not have this metal strip.

When I drove the car with the targa top off, the wind pulled the replacement seal loose. Since gluing the seal to the frame did not seem like a good solution, I started looking at alternatives and decided to try the new seal being sold by AA.

After missing the group buy for this seal on 914club, I ordered the seal through their listing on ebay. The seal was shipped very qucikly and a couple of weekends ago the installation began. It installed easily enough; however, the the driver's side was too long....

IPB Image

and the passenger side was too short....

IPB Image

After several discussions with George I sent him the seal. The exchange process took a while. After he got the seal back he said that he measured them and the sides were equal length....no frackin' way. He installed it on another car and then conceded that the passenger side was too short.

He did send another seal after charging me $14 shipping (not happy about that since the seal was defective...and the original shiping price was $9); however, I was happy to get the seal.

The first step before installing the new seal was to make sure the sides are the same length!

IPB Image

After an application of glycerine on the new seal, it was installed in about 5 to 10 minutes. I am happy to report that the new seal fits and looks good!

IPB Image

rhodyguy
happy for you that you got one that fits correctly. you still got screwed on the shipping. return should have been paid (for the shody seal) and the proper fitting one sent at no additional charge. being told you're wrong, then conceding your right (typical AA crapolla) would have pissed me off to no end.

k
DRPHIL914
Looks nice bill,!
I replaced this on my car with the group buy from 914 rubber. Both sides were a little long and needed to be trimmed but otherwise my fit is perfect, no issues with it being pulled loose at all, not sure if it matters but I replaced both top and bottom seals andso far no leaks with either the w.a.s. top or either of the other 2 fiberglass tops. Have you tested this in the rain yet?
poke.gif

jim_hoyland
The 914Rubber top seals have longer sides. This allows for trimming to a perfect fit. Glycerine is a must for sliding the sides down the channel ! smile.gif
billh1963
I bought the full blown, big $$ kit from 914Rubber and most of the seals are very nice. Some are different from factory seals and each person will have to assess whether the seals will work for them. This is not intended to be a bashing thread for anyone's products. Scotty may want to chime in here with his thoughts since he installed many of the seals.

I have not done a rain test. I know it will leak because after reassembly the passenger door glass is not sealing properly (see the gap with the window all the way up). Looks like I have some more work to do....

IPB Image
billh1963
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 10 2013, 10:22 AM) *

The 914Rubber top seals have longer sides. This allows for trimming to a perfect fit. Glycerine is a must for sliding the sides down the channel ! smile.gif

The great thing about the AA seal is that the sides fit perfectly...no trimming necessary. You simply compress or stretch the seal (a small amount) up or down tp achieve the fit you want.
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 10 2013, 10:13 AM) *

happy for you that you got one that fits correctly. you still got screwed on the shipping. return should have been paid (for the shody seal) and the proper fitting one sent at no additional charge. being told you're wrong, then conceding your right (typical AA crapolla) would have pissed me off to no end.

k

I was not happy. What's worse is that he used my debit card from a previous order....the charge just appeared on my bank statement.

My history with AA to this point has all been positive. That being said; knowing the history some people have had I was happy that I got a new seal at all!
balljoint
Please make sure you update this thread with your solution to the gap on the passenger glass. I have a similar problem and it would save me a lot of time fiddling if you did the work first. smile.gif
JawjaPorsche
I got mine from Automotion. Sure, I probably paid too much for it but it really looks good and is Genuine PorscheĀ® seal part number 914.563.039.10 imported from Germany.

Because it cost so much money, I had it professionally installed. I did not want to screw it up! Spending my children's inheritance one day at a time!

http://www.automotion.com/hardtop-front-wi...or-porsche.html
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 10 2013, 08:02 AM) *

I got mine from Automotion. Sure, I probably paid too much for it but it really looks good and is Genuine PorscheĀ® seal part number 914.563.039.10 imported from Germany.

Because it cost so much money, I had it professionally installed. I did not want to screw it up! Spending my children's inheritance one day at a time!

http://www.automotion.com/hardtop-front-wi...or-porsche.html

Not a bad price for OEM; seems like they were $270 several years ago. Another OEM seal that I found superior, but $$$, is the front trunk seal. Fits better in the corners near the cowling. smile.gif
SUNAB914
I always use silicon spray when installing or removing seals. Good job Bill.
billh1963
Update: AA is reimbursing my shipping cost!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 11 2013, 01:22 PM) *

Update: AA is reimbursing my shipping cost!

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 10 2013, 07:57 AM) *

Please make sure you update this thread with your solution to the gap on the passenger glass. I have a similar problem and it would save me a lot of time fiddling if you did the work first. smile.gif

- Check and make sure you have the correct targa top for your doors. You can *not* mix-match early/late doors/tops!

- If above checks out, adjust the window to match the seal.

shades.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 11 2013, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 10 2013, 07:57 AM) *

- Check and make sure you have the correct targa top for your doors. You can *not* mix-match early/late doors/tops!

- If above checks out, adjust the window to match the seal.

shades.gif

I have heard that.
How do you know the difference in tops?

rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 11 2013, 02:24 PM) *

By doing a search for targa top differences ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

rolleyes.gif
JawjaPorsche
I learn something new everyday on 914World!
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 11 2013, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 11 2013, 02:24 PM) *

By doing a search for targa top differences ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

rolleyes.gif

oh, I did not know we had a search function here... smile.gif

I have four or five tops here and put the cleanest one I had on my car.
I will now go see if its the right one.

Rich
balljoint
biggrin.gif

Thanks for stepping off your bear for a minute Andy. poke.gif The lid matches the '74. I guess I am adjusting windows.
SirAndy
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 11 2013, 03:56 PM) *
I guess I am adjusting windows.

And don't forget that the top channels and sail panel channels the side seals sit in are also adjustable.
chowtime.gif
wingnut86
Damn Bill.

You are a channel-ing fool evilgrin.gif

Keep it up first.gif

Oh, make sure George uses your previous card for the refund. If he can't find it, have him look on Wiki-Leaks huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.